Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

My Sony Experience (Extended Warranty/ Insurance with ADH)

OP NuttinSpecial

9th March 2014, 09:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Houston TX
Thanks Meter: 3
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
First of all I'm am a USA customer and this was my experience. I don't know if it would be different in other countries but I've read a few customer service horror stories from people in other countries. So let's get to it

For anyone interested or considering it I would HIGHLY recommend getting the insurance with ADH (Accidental Damage from Handling) plan through Sony. It is an option when buying the phone through the Sony store and I think even after buying the phone you have either 60 days or a full year from the date of purchase to buy the plan. Anyway here is my experience.

I received my XZU from the Sony store in mid December 2013 I decided to buy the plan with ADH because $80 seemed like a bargain to replace a $680 device. (the ADH plan covers pretty much anything). Well as fate would have it on new years eve I was working during the day and when stopping to take lunch I checked my phone and noticed the screen was cracked and there were only 2 possibilities.
1.) the screen cracked from the pressure of being in my front jeans pocket while working.
OR
2.) while carrying a ladder at work it manged to bang against the phone while it was in my pocket and broke the screen.

So naturally I called Sony and told them possibility #1 lol.
The automated line was easy to navigate through and I was talking to a rep within 5 minutes. They were very thorough and asked several question like what pocket the phone was in. What I had been doing and told them everything I could while still maintaining complete innocence . I was transferred to about 3 reps and had to tell and confirm my story several times but finally the last rep said they would send a brand new phone too my home and all I had to do was put the old phone in the box and ship it back I think I had everything taken care of and was off the phone in about 20 minutes.

They have to receive the broken device within 30 days of shipping you your replacement or you will be billed for a 2nd phone. my replacement arrived in about 4 days and was brand new. The only issue I had was when I received the new device they forgot to send a return label. So I had to call back and get a printable label emailed to me. Which took a long time (5 days) but I shipped my broken phone back and have been using the replacement for about 2 months now with no issues *knock on wood * ((I'm actually writing this thread from my perfectly function 2nd XZU )). I was surprised at how smooth the process went. I was expecting to be put through all kinds of stuff, or expecting to get a refurbished phone but no it was brand new. I don't know how they can afford to hand out high end devices for $80 but I was ecstatic and I never received a bill for a second phone so I couldn't be more pleased with the service from Sony. but I now keep a flip cover on my XZU anytime it isn't on the charger.

One thing to note is that your $80 plan only covers one replacement and you cannot buy the plan twice (I know because I tried) . so if you use the plan and get a replacement phone and then break your replacement device then you have to buy a brand new phone from Sony to buy the ADH protection plan again. So stock up on the $6 leather flip cases on eBay from China lol that's what I've done.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying the ADH plan. If I wouldn't have bought it I would be looking at costly repairs or $680 for a new phone after only having it about 2 weeks. So if you're still eligible for the plan go buy it Now and remember if you have to use it, when you call in play dumb and make yourself look as innocent as possible. Had I told them it was probably broke while carrying a ladder I might have been put through some sort of loophole or something.
Anyway hope this helps. And if you have any questions ask away.
Last edited by NuttinSpecial; 9th March 2014 at 09:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NuttinSpecial For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2014, 09:53 AM   |  #2  
blueether's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,569
 
3,258 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Good to hear a positive customer service story, most people just want to bitch about CS and the reps that work there
9th March 2014, 04:12 PM   |  #3  
cameljockey1's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Arlington
Thanks Meter: 93
 
520 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
I'm glad I bought the insurance. Thanks for your experience. Now I feel better about sony customer service after hearing all other stories. But like you did and what I would do to is be calm and nice and do what they say and ask.

Sent from my C6806 using XDA Premium HD app
11th March 2014, 07:50 AM   |  #4  
Member
Flag Mars
Thanks Meter: 1
 
53 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttinSpecial

First of all I'm am a USA customer and this was my experience. I don't know if it would be different in other countries but I've read a few customer service horror stories from people in other countries. So let's get to it

For anyone interested or considering it I would HIGHLY recommend getting the insurance with ADH (Accidental Damage from Handling) plan through Sony. It is an option when buying the phone through the Sony store and I think even after buying the phone you have either 60 days or a full year from the date of purchase to buy the plan. Anyway here is my experience.

I received my XZU from the Sony store in mid December 2013 I decided to buy the plan with ADH because $80 seemed like a bargain to replace a $680 device. (the ADH plan covers pretty much anything). Well as fate would have it on new years eve I was working during the day and when stopping to take lunch I checked my phone and noticed the screen was cracked and there were only 2 possibilities.
1.) the screen cracked from the pressure of being in my front jeans pocket while working.
OR
2.) while carrying a ladder at work it manged to bang against the phone while it was in my pocket and broke the screen.

So naturally I called Sony and told them possibility #1 lol.
The automated line was easy to navigate through and I was talking to a rep within 5 minutes. They were very thorough and asked several question like what pocket the phone was in. What I had been doing and told them everything I could while still maintaining complete innocence . I was transferred to about 3 reps and had to tell and confirm my story several times but finally the last rep said they would send a brand new phone too my home and all I had to do was put the old phone in the box and ship it back I think I had everything taken care of and was off the phone in about 20 minutes.

They have to receive the broken device within 30 days of shipping you your replacement or you will be billed for a 2nd phone. my replacement arrived in about 4 days and was brand new. The only issue I had was when I received the new device they forgot to send a return label. So I had to call back and get a printable label emailed to me. Which took a long time (5 days) but I shipped my broken phone back and have been using the replacement for about 2 months now with no issues *knock on wood * ((I'm actually writing this thread from my perfectly function 2nd XZU )). I was surprised at how smooth the process went. I was expecting to be put through all kinds of stuff, or expecting to get a refurbished phone but no it was brand new. I don't know how they can afford to hand out high end devices for $80 but I was ecstatic and I never received a bill for a second phone so I couldn't be more pleased with the service from Sony. but I now keep a flip cover on my XZU anytime it isn't on the charger.

One thing to note is that your $80 plan only covers one replacement and you cannot buy the plan twice (I know because I tried) . so if you use the plan and get a replacement phone and then break your replacement device then you have to buy a brand new phone from Sony to buy the ADH protection plan again. So stock up on the $6 leather flip cases on eBay from China lol that's what I've done.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying the ADH plan. If I wouldn't have bought it I would be looking at costly repairs or $680 for a new phone after only having it about 2 weeks. So if you're still eligible for the plan go buy it Now and remember if you have to use it, when you call in play dumb and make yourself look as innocent as possible. Had I told them it was probably broke while carrying a ladder I might have been put through some sort of loophole or something.
Anyway hope this helps. And if you have any questions ask away.

We also have it here in PH., under a xperia shop handed by a telecommunication (or i think its just a partnership). the insurance is called Worry-Free Warranty it will cover up to 2 years warranty on all parts and labor and an accidental warranty in-case your too clumsy. the salesman explain to be even like the warranty is expiring next month and your still under the warranty they will replace it for a same unit OR! if the unit is unavailable they will replace it for a phone with the same price OR you can choose a higher one and just add some cash. and i was like WOAH! thank God i saw this shop. even i paid alot im worry free, BUT there is a catch. Warranty said if I rooted the device and it is still on warranty the whole warranty will be void. kinda hmm kinda sad but happy it is a mix emotion for me but yay i love my Xperia Z ultra w/ Cp12
12th March 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Houston TX
Thanks Meter: 3
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether

Good to hear a positive customer service story, most people just want to bitch about CS and the reps that work there

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameljockey1

I'm glad I bought the insurance. Thanks for your experience. Now I feel better about sony customer service after hearing all other stories. But like you did and what I would do to is be calm and nice and do what they say and ask.

Sent from my C6806 using XDA Premium HD app

Happy to help. I couldn't find many reviews of people's experience with ADH so with as well as my experience went I just had to post it to put people at ease. You can't beat the price for what it offers.
Yeah I am kind of a Sony fanboy. I've owned Playstations, psp, TVs, now a Vaio T that I love, and this phone is the best I've ever owned. And I'm so happy with the CS, I have yet to have an issue with Sony. And yeah as long as your polite and stick to your story they will take care of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiolo

We also have it here in PH., under a xperia shop handed by a telecommunication (or i think its just a partnership). the insurance is called Worry-Free Warranty it will cover up to 2 years warranty on all parts and labor and an accidental warranty in-case your too clumsy. the salesman explain to be even like the warranty is expiring next month and your still under the warranty they will replace it for a same unit OR! if the unit is unavailable they will replace it for a phone with the same price OR you can choose a higher one and just add some cash. and i was like WOAH! thank God i saw this shop. even i paid alot im worry free, BUT there is a catch. Warranty said if I rooted the device and it is still on warranty the whole warranty will be void. kinda hmm kinda sad but happy it is a mix emotion for me but yay i love my Xperia Z ultra w/ Cp12

Yeah I think if you root or alter the phone it voids warranty. Which is why I didn't remove the ASPL on the screen with the oleophobic coating. I just put on a screen protector and it's slick as glass. And the rooting doesn't bother me. I Change the themes, wallpaper, and ringtones and that's good enough for me lol
5th August 2014, 08:37 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
152 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
My story is a bit different

1. I broke my phone
2. called sony same day, after about 5 mins the rep assured me all was set and id receive my phone within a week or so.
3. I called the next day just to be sure since the process went through just a but too smooth. Ofcourse when i called back some rep said, nothing is being shipped to you because you havent spoken to "us" yet. I couldnt get out of him what "us" was and who i spoke to the day before. After some time of back and forth it turned out i also needed to give me CC#, which i did and they assured me the device would be sent soon.
4. Called back 3 days later, they said its being processed.
5. Called back next week, said its still being processed
6. Called back a few days later, still being processed.
7. Back on the 14th day, exactly two weeks later, they assured me the phone would be shipped out next day.
8. !!!! it was, i got it 1 day later!
9. No return label
10. called about return label, they said they would email it
11. called a few days later, they said it would be emailed
12. called a few days later gave them another email as well ....
13. Now its been about 2.5 weeks since i got the replacement phone and they still have not sent or emailed me anything about a shipping label.

All i care is they dont charge me for the replacement. If they do i am going to make a charge back.

All i want to do is send back the old phone and they will not send me a label.

so that has been my experience so far...
4th September 2014, 09:42 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
102 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
What if Z1 Compact was bought on eBay?
If I purchased my phone brand new/sealed on eBay and then buy ADH plan from sony.com, will the support department still honor the warranty in case something goes wrong with the device?

Thanks!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes