Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,105 Members 45,022 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Snapdragon 800 a bit long in the tooth by now.

Tip us?

Nutsonfire
Old
Thanks Meter 44
For what it's worth, I have both the Tab Pro 8.4 and 10.1 and I find that with the stock ROM the 10.1 runs better than the 8.4. The 8.4 might be a little snappier but the 10.1 feels smoother, less jittery screen etc. Both with Google now launcher and lots of Samsung apps disabled.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2013, Tab Pro 8.4, Tab Pro 10.1

AndreiLux
Old
Thanks Meter 13,676

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
What's your take on this?

When processing pictures or multimedia from memory to display panel, the Mobile Image Compression (MIC) function inside the newest Exynos 5 Octa family successfully lowers the total system power. Through this feature, you would experience the maximized usage hours of mobile devices with a high-resolution display such as WQXGA (2500x1600), in particular when browsing the web or doing multimedia application requiring the frequent screen refresh.

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...octa_5420.html
There was an interview with a Samsung SLI engineer that I can't find again where he talked more about it. In addition to battery savings (which the S' need desperately on whites) he talked about greatly improved screen refresh rates. He discussed it as a big advantage over Snapdragon. Maybe (finally) there's something in Exynos that the higher demand (guess) big AMOLED display's benefit from. I guess we'll see when the North America S-800 LTE devices come out whether there's any performance or battery life differences compared to their global Exynos/LTE brethren.
Snapdragons need to run a double width display interface to be able to run QHD screens, the Exynos doesn't. Don't have numbers, but this affect power consumption, it's correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndreiLux For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fjpadilla
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default tab s sm-t805 lte with exynoss

I bought my tablet yesterday ( Spain ) and can confirm that this lte has exynoss octa

I used cpu-z to check it, but I don't know how to post images

TheGoD
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
Even more reason to have done what they just did (Exynos/LTE) in a high-volume device like the SGS5 rather than a tablet (8.4/10.5 S w/LTE) that'll probably sell 10M units (optimistically) in a year.
Could also just be that the yield-rate for the Exynos was worse when the S5 decision was made compared to the Tab S concept phase and / or the already secured a stable pricing from Qualcom than the projected cost per Exynos SOC.
- Devices: Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Omnia II - WM 6.5.3
- PC: Windows 7, Core2Duo@3Ghz, 6GB Ram, Geforce 8800gt 512MB.

All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer.

enaybee
Old
Thanks Meter 50
I have US WiFI 8.4 with Exynos chip and I can tell you with no issues that no matter what the benchmarks are saying. But stock TW runs like crap on this chip. There is stutter, jitter, lag everwhere. Chrome is almost useless because scrolling is pre-gingerbread style. TW ate all the butter KitKat had to offer. I am sure it would be same on Snapdragon 800 too.
Hence the reason I put BLCK CM11 on it and its like day and night. Now I can say that this is smooth and I love it.
My cellphone journey:

Devices:
Phones-in use: Nexus 5
Phones-backup: HTC One X, iPhone 3G, HTC Fuze
Tablets: Galaxy Tab S 8.4, LG G Pad 8.3, Kindle HDX (8.9), Dell Venue 8, Archos 605 wifi [160gb]
Devices Sold or Broken or given away: AT&T LG G3 (Sold), S III (i747), GNex (i9250), S II (i9100), SGS Captivate, Nexus 7, iPhone 4, Apple iPad2, Nexus 7 FHD, Archos 80|G9

If my post has helped you, please hit "Thanks".

kenkiller
Old
Thanks Meter 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaybee View Post
I have US WiFI 8.4 with Exynos chip and I can tell you with no issues that no matter what the benchmarks are saying. But stock TW runs like crap on this chip. There is stutter, jitter, lag everwhere. Chrome is almost useless because scrolling is pre-gingerbread style. TW ate all the butter KitKat had to offer. I am sure it would be same on Snapdragon 800 too.
Hence the reason I put BLCK CM11 on it and its like day and night. Now I can say that this is smooth and I love it.
I dunno. I see TW running pretty smoothly on SD based phones like S4/S5. Even the QHD S5 Prime runs good.