Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,556 Members 42,820 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Galaxy S5 supports ART

Tip us?

IzZYJr
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Does ART really improve the battery life?

eRPeeX
Old
Thanks Meter 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedme View Post
Really ? I am running ART on my rooted S5 since the day I got it (2 weeks ago) and I have Xposed framework running....

I also have amazing battery life and very snappy UI
Afaik Xposed cannot run on Art.

Tron666
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedme View Post
Really ? I am running ART on my rooted S5 since the day I got it (2 weeks ago) and I have Xposed framework running....

I also have amazing battery life and very snappy UI
Please stop trolling. Youre not 10 years old. Xposed cant run art.

speedme
Old
(Last edited by speedme; 5th September 2014 at 04:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 85
Sorry, I misread this screen :

I thought it ment that I have ART running (so not selected) and I could switch back to Dalvik.

My bad...

N77NS
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Question ?

What is this option ART

eRPeeX
Old
Thanks Meter 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by N77NS View Post
What is this option ART
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=art

illuniel
Old
(Last edited by illuniel; 7th September 2014 at 10:15 AM.) Reason: minor grammatical errors & added some info
Thanks Meter 1
Default art vs dalvik

hi all,

my review is that i changed to art from dalvik on the second week of owning this s5 (all stock, nonrooted) last april. everything was fine and stable then. It felt really speedy because i had just moved from a note 1 to this. I also had experienced no FC's or any kind of instability. I only use this phone for the basic stuff, camera, plus touchdown. I thought all was normal and i was 'living with' the camera lag as I thought it was just flaky advertising that it was speedy with 3 second camera focusing.

Then, sometime in the past 3 weeks, the phone would heat up, occasionally hang, and drain its battery like there was no tomorrow. That was only recoverable using a battery pull. It was getting to me so i tried to find the error and installed OS Monitor to see if there was some background process eating up any resources. I had found a recurring process called kswapd0 coming up every now and then eating up more than 20% CPU time.

I find that strange as android is built not to need swap which is what this kernel process is for. so, I tried google-ing around for errors related to the kswapd0 on the S5 even in this forum but found it for other phones only.

After going through this thread, It occured to me to try to get out of ART and go back to DALVIK and i tried that just now. Bam. Phone feels and behaves snappier. Even the camera is faster loading, focusing, and taking photos.

Will be testing this more for the next 'as long as it feels stable' and report back anything.

so far, conclusion is: stay with Dalvik!

Cheers!