Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,448 Members 41,092 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ChatSecure on Cyanogenmod (no Gapps): can't connect using Google Account

Tip us?

Feathers McGraw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] ChatSecure on Cyanogenmod (no Gapps): can't connect using Google Account

Hi all,

I've been trying to remove as much proprietary software as possible from my Nexus 7 2013 LTE (deb). I re-flashed CM11 and didn't install Gapps.

I usually use Hangouts; I was hoping to use ChatSecure to connect using my Google account instead but it won't let me log in (if I click add Google account I get a popup with "Account type" that is otherwise empty).

Is there some dependency that ChatSecure needs to be able to use a Google account? Does anyone know how to use a google account with CatSecure without Gapps?

Thanks,

Feathers

paul.greeff
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Chatsecure and google chat

I know I'm reviving an old thread. I also have the same problem and googling has not yielded satisfactory results.

Anyone else experience the same problem? I have version 13.1.2 of chatsecure from F-Droid installed on CM11. Its the same problem, I tap account type, and a blank popup with header Account Type appears.

Regards
Paul

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Ah, that is a bit of a fail. It seems the google account has to already be set up on the device. This means that if we want to operate our Android device without linking anything to Google Chatsecure wont be of any use. I have in stead opted to use Xabber. Pity, as there are many reasons to prefer Chatsecure.

Regards
Paul

---------- Post added 8th September 2014 at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was 7th September 2014 at 11:41 PM ----------

Apologies, another update. ChatSecure can be used with Google Talk even if the google account is not registered on the android device.

I added the Google Talk account as an XMPP account, port 5222 on talk.google.com. So both Xabber and ChatSecure should work without any issues.

Regards
Paul