Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,000 Members 49,025 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LG G3 - Call Recording - please test for me :)

Tip us?

epdm2be
Old
(Last edited by epdm2be; 25th August 2014 at 02:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
LG (and most other manufacturers) are walking a fine line by adding a functionality that may be illegal in certain areas. Given the current legal environment, it is very prudent not to add that functionality. Additionally, you may want to reconsider your blanket statement that call recording is legal in the EU.
The link you provided indeed states that call-recording is allowed in EU. This is NOT a blanket statement.

You also need to understand the difference between call-recording (where one or both parties record their own conversation) or wiretapping (where a 3rd party, with or without consent, records a call between 2 other parties). The latter is prohibited unless suspicion of criminal activity allows for wiretapping when approved by court.

In fact

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_recording_laws

gives this quote:

Regarding wiretapping: Telephone tapping often must be authorized by a court, and is normally only approved when evidence shows it is not possible to detect criminal or subversive activity in less intrusive ways[citation needed]; often the law and regulations require that the crime investigated must be at least of a certain severity.

Denmark: Calls and conversations may be recorded by any active participant. There is no requirement to make other parties aware of the recording, but the use of recordings, depending on their content, may be subject to various laws

Finland: In the case of private persons, calls and conversations may be recorded by any active participant.

UK: Recording is sometimes advised, as in recording business transactions carried out by telephone to provide a record. It is sometimes mandatory; from March 2009 Financial Services Authority rules required firms to record all telephone conversations and electronic communications relating to client orders and the conclusion of transactions in the equity, bond, and derivatives markets.[19] In November 2011 this was extended to cover the recording of mobile phone conversations that related to client orders and transactions by regulated firms.

Latvia: Calls and conversations by private persons may be recorded by any active participant

Romenia: The recording of a conversation by a private member to that conversation is specifically permitted.

The general consensus is that call-recording is allowed between the active participants of that conversation. In layman's terms: "it is PERFECTLY legal for YOU to record your OWN calls or the calls made to you." It is sometimes advised to actually do so (in business transactions etc...). Wiretapping or call-recording by a 3rd party (even authorities), who is NOT an active participant, is prohibited unless approved by a judge (in case of suspected criminal activity).

To note people that calls are being recorded older cellphones (e.g. SE K750i, K700i, K850i, Nokia XM5800, Nokia C7, Nokia N8 etc...) used a beep every 10 or 20 seconds. Call recording was perfectly possible with Android 1.6 (Donut) on most Android phones from that time. But has been ****ed up or removed in most following Android iterations. Many Chinese Android phones (e.g. Jiayu G4) still have call-recording enabled by default (as do Korean models). Again I fail to see why models for the European market suddenly have this standard feature omitted in 2014 while models from 200x up-to 2012 (e.g. Nokia 808Pureview) had call-recording enabled (with beep). In fact the LG Optimus 4X HD P880 (2012) had call-recording enabled by default. I contacted LG in my country with this specific question and they confirmed this officially! So why does the LG G3 in my country suddenly have this feature removed?

It's Apple and Microsoft whom generalize this prohibiting of call recording while oddly enough my Windows Mobile 6.1 Samsung Omnia SGH-i900 from 2008 was perfectly capable of recording calls. Even with the build in memorecorder!

Fact is, I had call-recording on my phone in 2008 and I still want it now 2014! I see no reason why a Korean model in 2014 has it and an European version of that same phone hasn't got it!

Double standards, perhaps?

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preter View Post
Just go ahead & buy it. Its the best premium phone money can get you now. Everything works perfectly - including the voice recording using the 2 apps I've tried below:

Call Recorder - ACR
Automatic Call Recorder

I didn't see the need to try any other apps since those 2 already work perfectly. Take note that My LG G3 is rooted (of course) and the recording is done WITHOUT having to go to loudspeaker.

P.S. I could never get call recording to work on my S2, whether rooted or on custom ROMs/kernels. The best it could do was record on loud speaker - voice clarity & volume would suck.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

LG has to conform to the whims and fancies of whatever national laws or carriers that serve you.

Instead of venting your spleen and asking the world to change to your taste. Change yourself. Learn something. Root. Else you are at the wrong place. This is the home of XDA. This is where people root and mod.

If you value a crappy piece of paper called the warranty so much, you really don't belong here. Smart consumers (like the ones here at XDA) buy smartphones to use the heck out of them. Unfortunately you, like so many smartphone users, still use yours like a dumbphone - u expect communist-standardized devices to somehow be perfect for you out of the box.

You don't realise that being able to manipulate data, make apps work with other apps etc. is far more important than whether the carrier/manufacturer likes it or not. If nothing else, root so you can backup data. Oh right... folks like you don't know what backup means...

P.S. If you actually learn how to root, you will know how to unroot too.
1) Yes, I value waranty as much as anyone else for a +600 euro device!

2) I KNOW how to root an Android device. In fact I (still) have and use a Rooted Samsung SGS3 with modified stock dialer to include call-recording (like it's Korean nephew). And I am aware of the various call recording apps whom now finally work on my rooted device.

Whether I can root or not is besides the point here! The point is: Why have Korean models more features then their more expensive "international" siblings? Especially the features that have nothing to do with laws and legislation. Call-recording laws in Korea or no more different than in EU.

This has nothing to do with communism either! And getting apps to work is useless if the handset is hardware limited! (As proven by your S2 comment). Also call-recording has nothing to with backup! Why you bring THAT up is beyond me! You don't even need to root your device to accomplish a backup anyway! So don't just assume that I'm a noob!

My question remains: Why have features that were previously been present being removed under the disguise of being "illegal" while legality has nothing to do with it?

Again instead of picking on me you should ask THAT question yourself! Why do you have to PAY more for a device that has LESS features than that same device in another country? This is about discrimination not communism!
The Following User Says Thank You to epdm2be For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BACARDILIMON
Old
Thanks Meter 831
Call recorders work but not crystal clear. Sound quality is horrible. Anyone says different please post proof.
LG G3 D851 BAD ASS

ApriliaM3
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 13,779
I've had a cleanup here guys and I'd prefer not to have to return for the same reasons.
If you have a genuine issue with what someone has posted, simply press the report button and let a moderator deal with it.
Whatever the reason though, it doesn't give anyone the right to call other members idiots, morons, retards etc.

Thanks.

methylenedioxy
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACARDILIMON View Post
Call recorders work but not crystal clear. Sound quality is horrible. Anyone says different please post proof.
Same boat. It's a shame.
The Following User Says Thank You to methylenedioxy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BACARDILIMON
Old
Thanks Meter 831
Definitely does not work and from supposed working ones I contacted Dev and they said it works for some g3 just not 851

AWESOME G3
LG G3 D851 BAD ASS