Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Home screen shortcuts folder in Android?

OP zest

9th February 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
I did search, but can't find answer to my question.
To can you understand my question I will give you example with windows XP.
The desktop shortcuts in winxp are stored in folder C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop. If I save this folder and later I lost all shortcuts I can restore it.
I have this problem with the apps shortcuts in my phone home screen. My question is where is the location of this folder, where android store the shortcuts in the home screen?
My phone is root and I have root explorer installed.
10th February 2014, 09:46 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Nobody?
10th February 2014, 10:18 PM   |  #3  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 9

44 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zest

Nobody?

Not sure, but certainly somewhere. If I make a folder in my app drawer, then drag the folder to a desktop, I can change apps in one that doesn't effect the other.

But how much effort is it really to make another shortcut folder?
10th February 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #4  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter: 7,330

5,909 posts
Donate to Me
More
What are you trying to do? I smell an XY problem.

Nevertheless, to answer your question: it's usually in /data/data/<package name of your launcher>/databases/
Most 3rd party launchers allow you to backup and restore their settings without hassle.
11th February 2014, 04:36 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermainZ

What are you trying to do? I smell an XY problem.

Nevertheless, to answer your question: it's usually in /data/data/<package name of your launcher>/databases/
Most 3rd party launchers allow you to backup and restore their settings without hassle.

Haha , yes XY problem here
I am pissed to add folders and icons to my home screen and after each restart to loose them. Tried all written here(type of backups), but nothing help to my Lenovo s750.
I am with custom rom and the launcher Launcher GEL (Google Experience Launcher di Android 4.4). Can;t find it in my /data/data/... anyway.
This launcher don't has possibility to backup and restore its settings or I can't find it.
11th February 2014, 04:44 PM   |  #6  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter: 7,330

5,909 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zest

Haha , yes XY problem here
I am pissed to add folders and icons to my home screen and after each restart to loose them. Tried all written here(type of backups), but nothing help to my Lenovo s750.
I am with custom rom and the launcher Launcher GEL (Google Experience Launcher di Android 4.4). Can;t find it in my /data/data/... anyway.
This launcher don't has possibility to backup and restore its settings or I can't find it.

You shouldn't lose your folders/icons after a restart, I don't know why that is happening.
The GEL is integrated in Google Search so you'll need to backup that. You can use a backup app if you want, such as oandbackup or Titanium Backup.
11th February 2014, 08:12 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermainZ

You shouldn't lose your folders/icons after a restart, I don't know why that is happening.
The GEL is integrated in Google Search so you'll need to backup that. You can use a backup app if you want, such as oandbackup or Titanium Backup.

WOW, this works !!! Thank you a lot!!
I didn't knew that Google Search is this what I must backup to restore my home screen icons and folders
8th September 2014, 04:32 PM   |  #8  
Flag Long Beach

3 posts
More
Question backup to restore my home screen icons and folders?
this is in to reference to a reply from "ZEST" a Junior Member:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2642498

He quoted " Google Search is this what I must backup to restore my home screen icons and folders" How is this done?
I still didn't get an answer to my question, or his, where are shortcut from the desk top kept? and can i create one to go to a html file on my SD card.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread