Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,238 Members 49,053 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Home screen shortcuts folder in Android?

Tip us?
 
zest
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default [Q] Home screen shortcuts folder in Android?

I did search, but can't find answer to my question.
To can you understand my question I will give you example with windows XP.
The desktop shortcuts in winxp are stored in folder C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop. If I save this folder and later I lost all shortcuts I can restore it.
I have this problem with the apps shortcuts in my phone home screen. My question is where is the location of this folder, where android store the shortcuts in the home screen?
My phone is root and I have root explorer installed.
 
zest
Old
#2  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jan 2008
Nobody?
 
Xieon1
Old
#3  
Xieon1's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 42
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by zest View Post
Nobody?

Not sure, but certainly somewhere. If I make a folder in my app drawer, then drag the folder to a desktop, I can change apps in one that doesn't effect the other.

But how much effort is it really to make another shortcut folder?
 
GermainZ
Old
#4  
GermainZ's Avatar
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,429
Posts: 5,492
Join Date: Aug 2012
What are you trying to do? I smell an XY problem.

Nevertheless, to answer your question: it's usually in /data/data/<package name of your launcher>/databases/
Most 3rd party launchers allow you to backup and restore their settings without hassle.
 
zest
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermainZ View Post
What are you trying to do? I smell an XY problem.

Nevertheless, to answer your question: it's usually in /data/data/<package name of your launcher>/databases/
Most 3rd party launchers allow you to backup and restore their settings without hassle.
Haha , yes XY problem here
I am pissed to add folders and icons to my home screen and after each restart to loose them. Tried all written here(type of backups), but nothing help to my Lenovo s750.
I am with custom rom and the launcher Launcher GEL (Google Experience Launcher di Android 4.4). Can;t find it in my /data/data/... anyway.
This launcher don't has possibility to backup and restore its settings or I can't find it.
 
GermainZ
Old
#6  
GermainZ's Avatar
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,429
Posts: 5,492
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zest View Post
Haha , yes XY problem here
I am pissed to add folders and icons to my home screen and after each restart to loose them. Tried all written here(type of backups), but nothing help to my Lenovo s750.
I am with custom rom and the launcher Launcher GEL (Google Experience Launcher di Android 4.4). Can;t find it in my /data/data/... anyway.
This launcher don't has possibility to backup and restore its settings or I can't find it.
You shouldn't lose your folders/icons after a restart, I don't know why that is happening.
The GEL is integrated in Google Search so you'll need to backup that. You can use a backup app if you want, such as oandbackup or Titanium Backup.
 
zest
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermainZ View Post
You shouldn't lose your folders/icons after a restart, I don't know why that is happening.
The GEL is integrated in Google Search so you'll need to backup that. You can use a backup app if you want, such as oandbackup or Titanium Backup.
WOW, this works !!! Thank you a lot!!
I didn't knew that Google Search is this what I must backup to restore my home screen icons and folders
 
DerDoktorEsq
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jan 2014
Question backup to restore my home screen icons and folders?

this is in to reference to a reply from "ZEST" a Junior Member:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2642498

He quoted " Google Search is this what I must backup to restore my home screen icons and folders" How is this done?
I still didn't get an answer to my question, or his, where are shortcut from the desk top kept? and can i create one to go to a html file on my SD card.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA Xposed Tuesday: How to Shut Up Your Phone – XDA Developer TV

So many different applications want to send us notifications that … more

Add Some Power to First Generation Snapdragon CPUs

Some older devices still remain very popular. Phones like theHTC Desire, Sony Ericsson … more

Android M Mentions Spotted in Android Code Review

While we are still waiting for Android L to be officially released, the first mentions of … more

Create a Simple Custom Launcher from Scratch

When you are starting your journey intoany sort of development, it’s never easy at the … more