Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,556 Members 42,900 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AOSP for S5

Tip us?
 
Hellscythe
Old
#11  
Hellscythe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 461
Posts: 1,762
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: straya kienttt
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
How much is the N5 in Australia?
449 dollars for 32gb model on the Play Store.

Woops my bad, 16gb Nexus 5 is 399, which is slightly cheaper than 430 dollars for a 32gb G2
Previous devices:

HTC Incredible S S710e (Eventually stopped turning on)

Nexus 7 2012 (Half the screen stopped responding to touch after leaving it for 2 months, also has weird marks on bezel, no idea from where)

Sony Xperia Z C6603 (Passed it down to family member, I actually hated this device)

Current devices:

Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900I
The Following User Says Thank You to Hellscythe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
rcatank
Old
#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 106
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe View Post
449 dollars for 32gb model on the Play Store.

Woops my bad, 16gb Nexus 5 is 399, which is slightly cheaper than 430 dollars for a 32gb G2
Here's another reason why this whole conversation is still all subjective.... It's also about where you live in the pricing available to you...

For us in the US here the pricing for Carrier based phones are all around the same price... S5 @$150 or less... m8 @$199 or less, G2 @$50 or Free (recent change due to G3 release)

If you wait 1 more month...all phones will be either free or at max $50, since we pay higher carrier fees than most countries.

sent from a Galaxy very very near......

Device Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3
Rom [4.4.4] SlimKat (d2LTE) [4.4.4] Stable 7.0]
Kernel CM 3.4.101
Modem MK3 (KNOX Free)
Recovery TWRP 2.6.3.1


THANKS button if my post helped
 
das7982
Old
#13  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 285
Posts: 250
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Broken Arrow

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumsteak View Post
I've got a philosophical question for everyone. Does it really make rational sense to pay premium for an S5 only to then install AOSP? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to acquire a Nexus 5 for half the price?




Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
I owned the nexus 5. Hardware blows. Touchscreen was aweful

Follow me @Bash_array
 
drakester09
Old
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 872
Posts: 1,283
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by das7982 View Post
I owned the nexus 5. Hardware blows. Touchscreen was aweful

Follow me @Bash_array
For me it was excellent, I guess there's a larger variance in HW quality when it comes to Nexus devices, same situation happened for the N7.
 
mediumsteak
Old
#15  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 252
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: T0r0nt0!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakester09 View Post
For me it was excellent, I guess there's a larger variance in HW quality when it comes to Nexus devices, same situation happened for the N7.
This is not necessarily a Nexus problem. Any manufacturer that orders the identical component from 3 different suppliers will end up building products with HW variations. Keep in mind that this issue is not only limited to the Nexus product line.
 
Protagoras
Old
#16  
Protagoras's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 167
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: London

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumsteak View Post
AOSP is definitely great in terms of performance, modification friendliness and flexibility.

However, I would suggest that spending $699 on a phone regardless of whether it is an M8 or S5 or Note 3 just to abandon the differentiating features such as multi-window, finger print sensor and depth camera make absolutely no sense.

One could argue that just a few years ago the decision to run AOSP on a flagship device such as the HTC One X or the Samsung Galaxy S3 made for an excellent alternative strategy due to limitations in the stock software which caused issues including laggy performance, resource hogging and slow software updates. However, in the upscale smartphone market today, the vast majority of such shortcomings have been eliminated. Furthermore, manufacturers now focus on differentiation via various innovative features such as the S-Pen, dual speakers and IP67 resistance in hopes of capturing market share.

Hence, purchasing a premium tier smartphone in order to strip away the differentiating features demonstrates a careless squander of financial resources when the individual could have achieved the exact same experience on a mid-range device such as the Moto X or the Nexus 5.
That's your opinion. But each phone and each hardware is different: you won't find an external SD slot or a removable battery on the Moto X or the N5. Some people are Samsung users for these reasons only, and couldn't care less with the "features" added by TouchWiz that they find useless (that's my case).

To give a personal example, turning my Galaxy S4 into an custom AOSP phone made it at least ten times better for me. Very fast and smooth UI, nice minimalistic look, removed all the useless Samsung apps and features I wasn't using (smart screen, etc.) In fact the only thing I'm missing is the lockscreen lol, I somehow liked the Samsung ripple effect...
 
born4trance
Old
(Last edited by born4trance; 20th June 2014 at 05:31 AM.)
#17  
born4trance's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 87
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rotterdam(ned)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumsteak View Post
I've got a philosophical question for everyone. Does it really make rational sense to pay premium for an S5 only to then install AOSP? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to acquire a Nexus 5 for half the price?




Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Because the S5 has a better battery life and screen than the N5?

(former Nexus 5 owner. Currently: Galaxy S4)
- REQuest: A .pit for a 16GB SM-G900F, to be used with a PHN firmware (non-branded)
- Don't flash the .pit i posted on XDA! (read why and also read this)

- Want to view/read my posts? Click here
- My (Semi) Portable Minecraft Launcher: http://web.minecraftnoob.com
 
aenews
Old
(Last edited by aenews; 9th September 2014 at 08:42 PM.)
#18  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 57
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumsteak View Post
AOSP is definitely great in terms of performance, modification friendliness and flexibility.

However, I would suggest that spending $699 on a phone regardless of whether it is an M8 or S5 or Note 3 just to abandon the differentiating features such as multi-window, finger print sensor and depth camera make absolutely no sense.

One could argue that just a few years ago the decision to run AOSP on a flagship device such as the HTC One X or the Samsung Galaxy S3 made for an excellent alternative strategy due to limitations in the stock software which caused issues including laggy performance, resource hogging and slow software updates. However, in the upscale smartphone market today, the vast majority of such shortcomings have been eliminated. Furthermore, manufacturers now focus on differentiation via various innovative features such as the S-Pen, dual speakers and IP67 resistance in hopes of capturing market share.

Hence, purchasing a premium tier smartphone in order to strip away the differentiating features demonstrates a careless squander of financial resources when the individual could have achieved the exact same experience on a mid-range device such as the Moto X or the Nexus 5.
You aren't taking into consideration the wide range of features available on AOSP ROMs nor the many additional features obtainable through XPOSED or even the Play Store in general. They are far more extensive and useful than any manufacturer's features IMO. As for hardware features, they'd normally be supported in AOSP, depending on the feature, such as the S-Pen. If not, there are developers out there that make AOSP ROMs supporting unique software/hardware features.
 
letsgotowawa
Old
#19  
letsgotowawa's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rose Valley
Default Slim

Unfortunately I can't post on the slim thread but the 9-9-2014 I have flashed on my g900T tonight. I used a version of an inverted velvet gapps for aosp 4.4.4. You can search for darkhorse inverted apps you can use any of the 4.4.2.+ I believe. These Gapps look great with it.

Also the pac-rom is fully functional with the g900t also. I flashed both and have both working.

Both roms camera, dialer incoming answer, APNs [Editable and can be saved but they are already working].

If you aren't interested in the camera for g900t Mokee Rom and Cabon Rom both are ajust about fully functional without the camera. Carbon Rom you need to just add the APN to get data which you can search for instruactions. Its very easy.

And CM11 seems to be fully functional it just doesn't have all the MODs built in that the other AOSP Roms do. Its perfect for anyone that wants to switch for stock to AOSP.

This is true up to todays date to my knowledge. I am just thrilled I finally have a working SlimROM on my S5 as of today.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Jair Player with a Major Update–Here’s What’s New!

Back in May, we talked a bit aboutJair Player, a nice looking music … more

Paid Android App Developers Will Soon Have to Provide Physical Address

Google has now changed its policies regarding paid app developers. … more

Windows Developers Rejoice! Dev Program’s $99 Yearly Fee is No More!

Microsoft rule in the mobile market, much like the giant dinosaurs … more

Add the Xperia Z2 Lock Screen to Your Favorite KitKat ROM

Almost every OEM adds its own unique flair to their stock firmwares. While some of … more