MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

AOSP for S5

5th June 2014, 07:28 AM   |  #11  
Flag straya kienttt
Thanks Meter: 467

1,792 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga

How much is the N5 in Australia?

449 dollars for 32gb model on the Play Store.

Woops my bad, 16gb Nexus 5 is 399, which is slightly cheaper than 430 dollars for a 32gb G2
The Following User Says Thank You to Hellscythe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th June 2014, 10:25 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 23

106 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe

449 dollars for 32gb model on the Play Store.

Woops my bad, 16gb Nexus 5 is 399, which is slightly cheaper than 430 dollars for a 32gb G2

Here's another reason why this whole conversation is still all subjective.... It's also about where you live in the pricing available to you...

For us in the US here the pricing for Carrier based phones are all around the same price... S5 @$150 or less... m8 @$199 or less, G2 @$50 or Free (recent change due to G3 release)

If you wait 1 more month...all phones will be either free or at max $50, since we pay higher carrier fees than most countries.

sent from a Galaxy very very near......
8th June 2014, 05:01 PM   |  #13  
Account currently disabled
Flag Broken Arrow
Thanks Meter: 287

250 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumsteak

I've got a philosophical question for everyone. Does it really make rational sense to pay premium for an S5 only to then install AOSP? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to acquire a Nexus 5 for half the price?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I owned the nexus 5. Hardware blows. Touchscreen was aweful

Follow me @Bash_array
8th June 2014, 06:05 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 873

1,283 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by das7982

I owned the nexus 5. Hardware blows. Touchscreen was aweful

Follow me @Bash_array

For me it was excellent, I guess there's a larger variance in HW quality when it comes to Nexus devices, same situation happened for the N7.
9th June 2014, 03:51 AM   |  #15  
T0r0nt0!
Thanks Meter: 37

252 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakester09

For me it was excellent, I guess there's a larger variance in HW quality when it comes to Nexus devices, same situation happened for the N7.

This is not necessarily a Nexus problem. Any manufacturer that orders the identical component from 3 different suppliers will end up building products with HW variations. Keep in mind that this issue is not only limited to the Nexus product line.
12th June 2014, 11:40 AM   |  #16  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 35

167 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

AOSP is definitely great in terms of performance, modification friendliness and flexibility.

However, I would suggest that spending $699 on a phone regardless of whether it is an M8 or S5 or Note 3 just to abandon the differentiating features such as multi-window, finger print sensor and depth camera make absolutely no sense.

One could argue that just a few years ago the decision to run AOSP on a flagship device such as the HTC One X or the Samsung Galaxy S3 made for an excellent alternative strategy due to limitations in the stock software which caused issues including laggy performance, resource hogging and slow software updates. However, in the upscale smartphone market today, the vast majority of such shortcomings have been eliminated. Furthermore, manufacturers now focus on differentiation via various innovative features such as the S-Pen, dual speakers and IP67 resistance in hopes of capturing market share.

Hence, purchasing a premium tier smartphone in order to strip away the differentiating features demonstrates a careless squander of financial resources when the individual could have achieved the exact same experience on a mid-range device such as the Moto X or the Nexus 5.

That's your opinion. But each phone and each hardware is different: you won't find an external SD slot or a removable battery on the Moto X or the N5. Some people are Samsung users for these reasons only, and couldn't care less with the "features" added by TouchWiz that they find useless (that's my case).

To give a personal example, turning my Galaxy S4 into an custom AOSP phone made it at least ten times better for me. Very fast and smooth UI, nice minimalistic look, removed all the useless Samsung apps and features I wasn't using (smart screen, etc.) In fact the only thing I'm missing is the lockscreen lol, I somehow liked the Samsung ripple effect...
20th June 2014, 05:18 AM   |  #17  
Flag Rotterdam(ned)
Thanks Meter: 15

87 posts
More
Quote:

I've got a philosophical question for everyone. Does it really make rational sense to pay premium for an S5 only to then install AOSP? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to acquire a Nexus 5 for half the price?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Because the S5 has a better battery life and screen than the N5?

(former Nexus 5 owner. Currently: Galaxy S4)
Last edited by born4trance; 20th June 2014 at 05:31 AM.
9th September 2014, 08:31 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 10

64 posts
More
Quote:

AOSP is definitely great in terms of performance, modification friendliness and flexibility.

However, I would suggest that spending $699 on a phone regardless of whether it is an M8 or S5 or Note 3 just to abandon the differentiating features such as multi-window, finger print sensor and depth camera make absolutely no sense.

One could argue that just a few years ago the decision to run AOSP on a flagship device such as the HTC One X or the Samsung Galaxy S3 made for an excellent alternative strategy due to limitations in the stock software which caused issues including laggy performance, resource hogging and slow software updates. However, in the upscale smartphone market today, the vast majority of such shortcomings have been eliminated. Furthermore, manufacturers now focus on differentiation via various innovative features such as the S-Pen, dual speakers and IP67 resistance in hopes of capturing market share.

Hence, purchasing a premium tier smartphone in order to strip away the differentiating features demonstrates a careless squander of financial resources when the individual could have achieved the exact same experience on a mid-range device such as the Moto X or the Nexus 5.

You aren't taking into consideration the wide range of features available on AOSP ROMs nor the many additional features obtainable through XPOSED or even the Play Store in general. They are far more extensive and useful than any manufacturer's features IMO. As for hardware features, they'd normally be supported in AOSP, depending on the feature, such as the S-Pen. If not, there are developers out there that make AOSP ROMs supporting unique software/hardware features.
Last edited by aenews; 9th September 2014 at 08:42 PM.
10th September 2014, 03:48 AM   |  #19  
Flag Rose Valley
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
Slim
Unfortunately I can't post on the slim thread but the 9-9-2014 I have flashed on my g900T tonight. I used a version of an inverted velvet gapps for aosp 4.4.4. You can search for darkhorse inverted apps you can use any of the 4.4.2.+ I believe. These Gapps look great with it.

Also the pac-rom is fully functional with the g900t also. I flashed both and have both working.

Both roms camera, dialer incoming answer, APNs [Editable and can be saved but they are already working].

If you aren't interested in the camera for g900t Mokee Rom and Cabon Rom both are ajust about fully functional without the camera. Carbon Rom you need to just add the APN to get data which you can search for instruactions. Its very easy.

And CM11 seems to be fully functional it just doesn't have all the MODs built in that the other AOSP Roms do. Its perfect for anyone that wants to switch for stock to AOSP.

This is true up to todays date to my knowledge. I am just thrilled I finally have a working SlimROM on my S5 as of today.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread