Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,166 Members 45,829 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 still worth buying?

Tip us?

sale 83
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane at citrus View Post
I don't think that the Nexus 7 is worth it now (in sept, 2014) because I've seen the IFA Youtube videos & some specs of the new ASUS Memo Pad ME572 C/CX. Read the ASUS will be available in the US at $199 in Oct, 2014; it has a 64 bit cpu, 1920x1200 resolution, 16 gig & a microsd slot at the 7 in IPS display. It's like an update to the Nexus 7 as it has updated specs. October isn't that far away as it is now just around 3 weeks away but could be at the end of October....

Very tempting even if my use will be mainly for reading books; then again for my own XMAS present.......I do find that the 1920x1200 res is great for a 7 incher for reading books; more comfortable (light) than the Nook HD+ at 8.9 in.
Yeah, but if you just read books,then you don't need something like nexus at all. No need for great specs either.There are much cheaper tablets or ebook readers for that.Plus reading on e ink is like reading the book, your eyes won't get that tired as while reading on tablet.
Nexus 7 2013 still works great, for surfing, playing games, watching movies, working, and it will get updates for at least one more year if you use stock rom.
I compared my nexus to the newest samsung galaxy tab s a few days ago..almost everything feels more fluid on nexus, screen is still great.
So is it still worth buying? Yes.

crane at citrus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The decision has to be based on price for a new tablet. If the Asus Memo Pad ME572 will really be available at $199 & a Nexus is at $199 for the 16 gig, then the ME572 would be a better buy. The size is the same as well as resolution but the ME572 has a slot for the microSD & a 64-bit cpu; the Nexus has dual WiFi capability....

My 32 gig Nexus 7 is great for reading BUT an advantage over my 1st edition Nook is that the Nexus 7 is able to do PDF more easily/readily than the original e-ink Nook but not as well as my 10" Acer A700 that has 1920x1200 rez. Resolution does count for us older people with bad eyesight.

digthemlows
Old
Thanks Meter 9
well, I got my 16gig 2013 for $119 refurbished...........I've had it for a week now, unlocked/rooted/ and put Clean Rom on it............ It's worth every penny............hell, even if you just use it as a music player for a blue tooth speaker around the house it's worth $100 ........... I'm happy with it!

CookieMonsterr
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I would still buy the Nexus 7 anyway. A great tablet that is quite cheap. You can't get the true tablet feeling from a 5" phone.

player911
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 907

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterr View Post
I would still buy the Nexus 7 anyway. A great tablet that is quite cheap. You can't get the true tablet feeling from a 5" phone.
I've had the 32gb Nexus 7 2013 day 1 following the 2012 edition.

My son has broken it a few times (water, cracked screen) and 1 was stolen. I've bought the stupid tablet over and over again. I really can't find a better tablet for the price. I've looked at the LG Tablet, but it doesn't have the lifespan of the N7 nor the development. I primarily use my tablet to stream/download ShowBox to my TV's and do some light gaming while in bed.

The only issue I have it the stupid touchscreen issue. I have a thick Porenzo hardback book case that doesn't give it the grounding needed for good touch input. It is constantly missing touches when using one handed. Since I primarily use this while lounging in bed or the couch, it becomes a constant battle.

I really want one with a Pen like a Samsung. I think I would be able to do more work on it. The screen size is fine although an 8" wouldn't bother me. I just can't get into the Galaxy product line for some reason. I've never owned a Samsung android device except the Galaxy Nexus.

I've seen the prices on refurbished and new getting ridiculously low. However I'm waiting on the HTC Nexus 8. I think it will be $400 but we'll see. It is really hard to justify buying another tablet when the Nexus 7 works so good, and the touchscreen issue isn't worth spending $400 on another device.
LG G2 - Modded Stock
Nexus 7 FHD - Jelly Bean 4.4.2 [CM Kang Banged]
HTC Touch Pro►HTC Touch Diamond 2►Nexus One►LG G2x►HTC Rezound►Galaxy NexusLG G2!
iPad►iPad2►Asus TransformerGalaxy Tab 7 [CM10]Nook►Nook TabletNexus 7Nexus 7 FHD!

[Site Owner] MiiWiiChat.com - Free Chat for your Wii
[Site Owner] SnapSite Admins.com - Free Custom Website

Like what I do? - Donations welcome or hit the Thanks button!

alexm231
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by player911 View Post
The only issue I have it the stupid touchscreen issue. I have a thick Porenzo hardback book case that doesn't give it the grounding needed for good touch input. It is constantly missing touches when using one handed. Since I primarily use this while lounging in bed or the couch, it becomes a constant battle.
I've seen the prices on refurbished and new getting ridiculously low. However I'm waiting on the HTC Nexus 8. I think it will be $400 but we'll see. It is really hard to justify buying another tablet when the Nexus 7 works so good, and the touchscreen issue isn't worth spending $400 on another device.
since you seem to have narrowed the source of the problem to something as cheap as the case, why not get another case?
me, I'm very happy with the tablet, and i'd buy it again tomorrow without a second thought

player911
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 907

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm231 View Post
since you seem to have narrowed the source of the problem to something as cheap as the case, why not get another case?
me, I'm very happy with the tablet, and i'd buy it again tomorrow without a second thought
Well the case was pretty expensive and I like it. The grounding issue and one hand operation is there regardless. The case just makes it slightly harder to make contact with the actual tablet itself. Plus I mentioned my son broke 2 tablets. So going without a case is very dangerous in my house.
LG G2 - Modded Stock
Nexus 7 FHD - Jelly Bean 4.4.2 [CM Kang Banged]
HTC Touch Pro►HTC Touch Diamond 2►Nexus One►LG G2x►HTC Rezound►Galaxy NexusLG G2!
iPad►iPad2►Asus TransformerGalaxy Tab 7 [CM10]Nook►Nook TabletNexus 7Nexus 7 FHD!

[Site Owner] MiiWiiChat.com - Free Chat for your Wii
[Site Owner] SnapSite Admins.com - Free Custom Website

Like what I do? - Donations welcome or hit the Thanks button!