Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

(Q) wireless keyboard for nst

OP 09mysh

5th May 2014, 12:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Hi, is anybody using wireless keyboard on nst? Wired one works fine for me. But when I'm connecting wi-fi mouse, it doesn't seem to work correctly, there is no control over the pointer. I am asking because that could give me bigger choice of keyboards, and maybe also would help to reduce the battery drain. Thanks
Last edited by 09mysh; 5th May 2014 at 12:31 AM.
5th May 2014, 04:55 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Boston
Thanks Meter: 822

2,000 posts
Mouses are not currently supported correctly.
Movement gets translated into KEYCODE_DPAD KeyEvents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Renate NST For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 07:40 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
thank you... So does that mean that wi-fi keyboard should work normally?... Sorry, I just don't have any to check myself. I don't wanna buy before someone will tell that it is possible. thanks
5th May 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Boston
Thanks Meter: 822

2,000 posts
Well, there's wireless, Bluetooth and WiFi, all very different.

You could use a regular wireless keyboard with a USB dongle on the Nook side.
That will work fine as to the Nook it looks exactly like a wired keyboard.
USB mode as it is now uses a lot of current.
You time between charging will drop to once a day.

Bluetooth would have been a good one, if only B&N had spent the extra $0.50 for the WiFi module with Bluetooth.
Bluetooth on a USB dongle would have all the drawbacks of the above wireless keyboard but would also require a driver.

Keyboard over WiFi using a PC or another Android device would work.
You'd just need software on both ends.

Many keyboards that say "WiFi" are simply wireless keyboards that use the ISM spectrum the same as WiFi does.
The easy way to check is if the package includes a USB dongle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renate NST For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 10:42 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Thanks for very detailed answer. Yes, I was thinking only about keyboard with wi-fi dongle. I've already noticed that unfortunately bluetooth will not work. There is a rather small range of portable USB keyboards that are specially dedicated to android devices. I was looking for one with a stand for comfortable typing anywhere I will be... a train, park bench etc.... Or well, you can find many usb keyboards with stands on ebay for example , but they all looks almost the same just with different logos, cheap, poor quality ones. Market is concentrated on bluetooth keyboards, then a lot of them are quite decent. So I'm just going to find a good usb compact keyboard, and then mount some kind of stand to it myself. Anyway, that is not very important for others, this post might be already to long.

ok, my question is: will it help to reduce battery usage in usb host mode, if I'll use keyboard powered by batteries?
Excuse my English. Thanks
Last edited by 09mysh; 5th May 2014 at 11:55 PM.
12th September 2014, 05:06 AM   |  #6  
Flag Washington D.C.
Thanks Meter: 613

900 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09mysh

ok, my question is: will it help to reduce battery usage in usb host mode, if I'll use keyboard powered by batteries?

A good question. And I have a related one - won't using a USB dongle and wireless keyboard take a good bit less current than a plain USB keyboard, because the port isn't supplying power to the keyboard itself? I know to expect things like "It takes more battery life from the WiFi than the current" but I'd just like to know exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST

Mouses

*Mice

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread