[KERNEL][4.2] Stock Kernel (CWM) for the Galaxy Player/S Wifi 4.2

Search This thread

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Can someone tell me how to boot into recovery, I have tried power + vol up + home, power + vol up. I can boot into download fine using power+vol down+home.

Thanks in advanced.

EDIT: I have manage you have to press home + vol up + power in that order and release power when Samsung logo appears
Have you tried home + power only? Maybe it'll work that way.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

drakonizer

Retired Forum Moderator
Actually the way to boot into recovery in power+vol up+home itself...but afaik, it is very buggy and unreliable, atleast for me. It takes more than one try to boot it into recovery. One piece of advice that I can give you is make sure you press the vol up and the home button real hard. That should help.

Sent from my XT760

Reactions: jmindset

po8pimp

Can you explain on how you got CWM to be added or compiled for the 4.2? I am trying to build a kernel and want to compile the latest CWM on it, but all tutorials I have come across want you to download the CM source and compile using it. Well as you are probably aware it does not support our device. I have the full source for both the stock 4.2 and CM11 installed on Ubuntu and have a pretty good idea on how to compile however, without full support and using an old kernel, it is extremely difficult. I have used this kernel to get root and it works extremely well compared to the others out there. Seems like you have a good grasp on how to manipulate this kernel quite well. The support for this device is pretty much non existent now, however the ownership is there for a lot of us. I am pretty much a novice at developing kernels, however I have built roms and know how to edit and configure a lot of other items. I have successfully compiled the kernel for this device, just not sure how to add latest CWM. I checked your source for the intrafms, but there was not a readme on what was manipulated to gain root or CWM that is why I am asking here. I would PM you, but I feel it is relevant to this specific thread and don't want to bother on a personal level unless absolutely necessary.

Reactions: rtiangha
M

Meticulus

Can you explain on how you got CWM to be added or compiled for the 4.2? I am trying to build a kernel and want to compile the latest CWM on it, but all tutorials I have come across want you to download the CM source and compile using it. Well as you are probably aware it does not support our device. I have the full source for both the stock 4.2 and CM11 installed on Ubuntu and have a pretty good idea on how to compile however, without full support and using an old kernel, it is extremely difficult. I have used this kernel to get root and it works extremely well compared to the others out there. Seems like you have a good grasp on how to manipulate this kernel quite well. The support for this device is pretty much non existent now, however the ownership is there for a lot of us. I am pretty much a novice at developing kernels, however I have built roms and know how to edit and configure a lot of other items. I have successfully compiled the kernel for this device, just not sure how to add latest CWM. I checked your source for the intrafms, but there was not a readme on what was manipulated to gain root or CWM that is why I am asking here. I would PM you, but I feel it is relevant to this specific thread and don't want to bother on a personal level unless absolutely necessary.

I don't want to speak out of turn but I believe what you are looking for can be found here:

https://github.com/zaclimon/initramfs-ypgi1

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
@po8pimp All depends on what version you plan on building CWM for. Thing is, with those devices, the recovery is packed in the kernel and you can't very much add newer recovery stuff if the kernel doesn't support it. An example of this would be like building CWM 6.0 on a GB kernel. It will work, though there's some stuff missing (For example newer USB drivers that are needed because the API's in the recovery require them)

What I did was initially only take the ramdisk from entropy's kernel and put it inside the 3.6/4.2 one. That said, Androthan did make some modifications to the initial 4.2 device tree to get something working if you want to use the source. Here's the link:

https://github.com/androthan/android_device_samsung_hugo

Honestly I can't do very much if I don't have the device. If I were to help you, I would need you to be the tester in the time being.

Is it good for you? :)

Reactions: rtiangha

po8pimp

I'm all about testing. I have tried compiling Androthan's 4.2 kernel. It will not compile. I have also worked with the 3.6 that he modified and tried going file by file replacing things needed. I am almost there with this way. I have a list of things on my plate at the moment and haven't gotten around to finishing the setup. I get it to compile up to what I think is 80%. I should soon have it figured out though. Once I do, I intend on taking the source and posting on github so I can compile it. As for testing, that is one of the reasons I am here. I know how to recover from things and have all the necessary files to do so. Please if you don't mind, any help is appreciated.

rtiangha

Jan 3, 2012
The one hang up for me is in figuring out how to build the kernel. I get the kernel compilation part; I come from a Gentoo background, so that part is second nature. It's the combining it with the recovery kernel part that I can't wrap my head around, and I can't find a well written tutorial. Is that something I would have to do manually, or does the CM build scripts take care of that automatically? If I had to do it manually, what are the commands to extract, edit, then reassemble the ramdisk? And would I need to mod the install script inside the flashable zip?

If someone could just walk me through that part, I would be willing to take a stab at this device since I own one. While the whole Android build system is still new to me, I've compiled CM for my Nexus 7 so I'm at least familiar with that part of the process, and I've built OmniROM as well. It's building a kernel for a device like this one that I'm not certain about. If I could get over that part and be confident with the process of building a combo recovery and standard kernel that can boot on this guy, even if it's from an older kernel, then I can start looking into porting a newer kernel/recovery and then a newer version of CM (because the way I see it, in order to have a modern ROM on this guy, first we need a modern recovery to install and boot it, correct?).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright guys here's the time, finally!! Here's the kernel with the CWM support for the 4.2.

Disclaimer

I'm not resposible for anything that happens to your device because YOU AND ONLY YOU decided to do these changes.

If your wifi isn't working, please flash the fix below

Features:
    Based on the XXLF1
    Insecure
    CWM 5.0.2.7
    Stock Kernel

Download:

Kernel Download

Fix for the wifi

Wifi fix download

Instructions:
    Flash the kernel tarbal with odin (re-partition unchecked) or the normalboot.img with heimdall. For the wifi fix, flash it through CWM.

Sources:
    Initramfs Source (I just have modified the initramfs nothing else.)

Zebluk for the rom dump
    Baruch6132 and Ozelot64 for testing
    ganeshbiyer for some scripts I used
    Entropy512 for the CWM initramfs template
    DooMLoRD for helping
    So no ones working on it :/

Sent from my YP-GI1 using Tapatalk 2

I will probably buy one and start work in June, but I have school until then.
    Here's a screenshot (for proof) by baruch6132 and ozelot64
    I'm all about testing. I have tried compiling Androthan's 4.2 kernel. It will not compile. I have also worked with the 3.6 that he modified and tried going file by file replacing things needed. I am almost there with this way. I have a list of things on my plate at the moment and haven't gotten around to finishing the setup. I get it to compile up to what I think is 80%. I should soon have it figured out though. Once I do, I intend on taking the source and posting on github so I can compile it. As for testing, that is one of the reasons I am here. I know how to recover from things and have all the necessary files to do so. Please if you don't mind, any help is appreciated.