Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 40,499 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Setup issue. Black home screen

Tip us?

ImCoKeMaN
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I'm pretty sure the black screen with Chromecast and your VGA converter is due to HDCP. It sounds backwards, but HDCP compliant actually will mean that it will not work for HDCP inputs like a Chromecast.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 843

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoKeMaN View Post
It sounds backwards, but HDCP compliant actually will mean that it will not work for HDCP inputs like a Chromecast.
That's possible too, though in the case of HDfury the converter itself is an HDCP-compatible display device so it shows picture.

Technically if the converter obeys HDCP rules it should turn off its analog outputs or down scale to SD when fed an HDCP protected source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YassinTP View Post
The TV also has VGA input, so I connected the HDMI-VGA-converter to it and tried moving the running Chromecast from the TV's HDMI input to the converter's input - and as you can already guess, the TV showed a black screen.
Because I know that the TV as well as the converter support 1080p just fine (as well as all other forms of Full HD and normal HD input), I think it isn't a resolution-based issue but has to do with an incompatibility of the Chromecast with my specific HDMI-VGA-converter.
That's a possibility too. In theory, with Chromecast sending 1080p, you should either have picture or a scrambled digital mess from HDCP decryption failure.

Black screen alone, especially at the is resolution may be the converter saying "I'm not sure what to do with this." Maybe the converter doesn't know how to handle YCbCr input and only does RGB which would explain why computer output works.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'