Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,418 Members 48,699 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

TabPro 8.4 price drop (now US$ 349.99)

Tip us?

BoulderGeek
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Groupon had the 8.4 for $249, last week. Might be a few floating around.

I bought the 10.1 Pro for $299 to replace my GT7510, now four years old.

metaleloi666
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGeek View Post
Groupon had the 8.4 for $249, last week. Might be a few floating around.

I bought the 10.1 Pro for $299 to replace my GT7510, now four years old.
So, it looks like sadly Samsung has dropped the ball for the 8.4 TabPro to only sell the 8.4 S, which is a shame, as it has been released only 7-8 months ago?

In the local ads here, I can still see the 10.1 TabPro advertised at BestBuy and Future Shop, but nothing about the TabPro 8.4. It's just the 8.4 S.... The TabPro 8.4 is not there anymore.

mscion
Old
Thanks Meter 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaleloi666 View Post
So, it looks like sadly Samsung has dropped the ball for the 8.4 TabPro to only sell the 8.4 S, which is a shame, as it has been released only 7-8 months ago?

In the local ads here, I can still see the 10.1 TabPro advertised at BestBuy and Future Shop, but nothing about the TabPro 8.4. It's just the 8.4 S.... The TabPro 8.4 is not there anymore.
Last night I saw a 10.1 TabPro for sale at Staples (In Gaithersburg MD). There was a Tab 8.4 S on display there too. When I checked it out I was not more impressed with its performance than my TabPro 8.4, if not less (of course it helps to have a rooted and debloated device!) . And at $399 a shot, not worth it for me.

_dsouza_
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaleloi666 View Post

Considering we can run CyanogenMod on the TabPro 8.4 (and not in the Tab S for now), I think the TabPro is still an excellent buy.

HKSpeed
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Amazon has it right now (8/20, 1:12pm PST) for $307
Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) on Fenny's stock modded 4.4.2
Galaxy S3 (T-Mobile) on DocHoliday77's stock modded 4.3
Nexus 7 (2012) on Purity
LG L70 TowelRooted
Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 TowelRooted
The Following User Says Thank You to HKSpeed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CafeKampuchia
Old
Thanks Meter 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dsouza_ View Post
Considering we can run CyanogenMod on the TabPro 8.4 (and not in the Tab S for now), I think the TabPro is still an excellent buy.
With an Exynos chipset, I don't see the S ever having a fully functional and supported AOSP ROM. Speaking from experience (S3, S4). The Pro is a better deal if you don't mind LCD over AMOLED.

_dsouza_
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
With an Exynos chipset, I don't see the S ever having a fully functional and supported AOSP ROM. Speaking from experience (S3, S4). The Pro is a better deal if you don't mind LCD over AMOLED.
Correct. However notice that the Tab S 8.4 LTE has the same SoC as the Pro (Snapdragon 800) so this model has a better chance to get an AOSP ROM.

pinsb
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dsouza_ View Post
Correct. However notice that the Tab S 8.4 LTE has the same SoC as the Pro (Snapdragon 800) so this model has a better chance to get an AOSP ROM.
You need to be careful saying this, there's two flavours of the LTE version.

A US Snapdragon and a EU Exynos, it's because the Exynos chipset supports the European LTE frequencies but not the US ones, thus they had to produce a Snapdragon one for the US carriers.