Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,032 Members 44,258 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Did it worked?
Yes 3 60.00%
No 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

How to fix the "invalid download uri" problem

Tip us?

ntn_labs
Old
(Last edited by ntn_labs; 10th February 2014 at 12:47 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Cool How to fix the "invalid download uri" problem

Hi

"Invalid download uri" is a bad ass error that is the biggest flaw (IMHO) You can encounter. Solutions are (as far as I can tell):
- cache clear
- factory reset

But for those, who did this and still have the same problem (or don't wanna try the factory reset) there might be some hope. (I was searching for solutions and found none like this, so I hope I don't duplicate someone's ideas)

I was fighting with this for a longer time and I guess I finally managed to fix it. I tried to clear cache, Google Store and Services, I even removed and reinstalled Google Play. But as logcat said, there was still problem with access to the file that was downloaded (something about JaveException:FileAccessInvalid - or something similar).

So, to make the long story short:
- connect phone
- adb shell
- cd /data/data/com.android.providers.downloads
- ls -al

There should be 4 directories:
- one of them (install) is a link (not visible in CM File Manager, but visible in shell)
- app_sslcache, cache, databases

Those three should have similar attributes (drwxrwx--x), in my case, cache had ony drwx--x--x.

So an easy fix: chmod 771 cache (You should be root) and voila, everything works (You don't need reboot or to stop google play or anything) and no more "invalid download uri".

Please, if You have this problem try this fix and if it works for You, let others know (maybe even in the comment section below)...

PS: It's not dangerous, but anyway... You do this at Your own risk.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ntn_labs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jmstewart
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default It WORKED!

What a life saver, I was able to change the permissions through FX Root Explorer.

Thank YOU.

ultimatemonty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks!!!

Old thread but throwing a thank you out there. Was having this issue after rooting my VZW M8 and this solved the problem. Thanks! I also shared this link over on AndroidForums.com as I found a similar thread with no solution while googling this issue.

So thanks!

GeobMcFly
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Thank you, for the inspiration, by looking at the logs, it was some permission pbl in com.android.vending and after some try, it was com.android.vending itself that was with bad permission.

771 on com.android.vending fix it for me!

sweetmango
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi, was reading your suggestion how to fix problem"invalid dowload url' problem, followed your guide but no luck.

You wrote:

- one of them (install) is a link (not visible in CM File Manager, but visible in shell)

I have galaxy S5, rooted, using root explorer(everything visible) and within data/data/androidproviders.downloads I have only 3 files.

cache,databeses and lib.

but in another directory data/data/com.android.vending I do have files you mentioned and some more.

All of my files as well directories have same set of permissions, which is

rwxrwx-x

I know you mentioned we should have drwxrwx--x and I don't know how to change it(if my permissions are wrong).

IF you can help pls I would appreciate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-03-12-52-56 (Copy).png
Views:	134
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	2882208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-03-12-53-19 (Copy).png
Views:	90
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	2882210  

ntn_labs
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmango View Post
Hi, was reading your suggestion how to fix problem"invalid dowload url' problem, followed your guide but no luck.

You wrote:

I have galaxy S5, rooted, using root explorer(everything visible) and within data/data/androidproviders.downloads I have only 3 files.

cache,databeses and lib.

but in another directory data/data/com.android.vending I do have files you mentioned and some more.

All of my files as well directories have same set of permissions, which is

rwxrwx-x

I know you mentioned we should have drwxrwx--x and I don't know how to change it(if my permissions are wrong).

IF you can help pls I would appreciate.
Must be the "new" Android version... I don't have enough info to help You. the pesmissions are correct. That "d" in the beginning says it's a directory. After that there are rwx (means: Read, Write, eXecute) three times. These permissions are for Owner, Group and Others. That means the owner (the app that created this directory/file) should have full rights:rwx. He can read, write and execute the file/directory. Group is just a group of owners that can share some data. Like, You can put pictures into a directory and have all apps in group "viewers" access them. And then Others. Others are all other apps that are there. So basically drwxrwxrwx means anyone can do anything with that file/directory. drwx------ means only the owner has full access, all others cannot do anything. That's the permission system in linux/android in a really really fast lesson.

Now what You need to do is to find where S5 puts the things it downloads from App Store. Maybe You are missing that folder I have found. Dunno. Try to google it out and maybe someone can help You better. Or try to find it Yourself.

What I would do is to connect S5 with a cable to a PC, run adb shell logcat and then I would try to install something from the App Store. You will see all that crap that's going on and if there will be an error, You can see it, read it, think about it and solve it

Ot put it here and I will think for You

sweetmango
Old
(Last edited by sweetmango; 5th August 2014 at 12:16 AM.) Reason: Wrong post.
Thanks Meter 0
Smile "invalid dowload url' problem

Thank you very much for super fast response. BTW, besides this post about 'invalid dowload url' problem there is nothing on the net, not one single word. I resolved my issue with reseting my phone and everything is fine now(it was easy since I have back up of everything). Will re search more and let you know if find any answers. Anyway, was looking at permissions in same folder after reseting my phone and everything is same as before but works. Thank you again, for your effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntn_labs View Post
Must be the "new" Android version... I don't have enough info to help You. the pesmissions are correct. That "d" in the beginning says it's a directory. After that there are rwx (means: Read, Write, eXecute) three times. These permissions are for Owner, Group and Others. That means the owner (the app that created this directory/file) should have full rights:rwx. He can read, write and execute the file/directory. Group is just a group of owners that can share some data. Like, You can put pictures into a directory and have all apps in group "viewers" access them. And then Others. Others are all other apps that are there. So basically drwxrwxrwx means anyone can do anything with that file/directory. drwx------ means only the owner has full access, all others cannot do anything. That's the permission system in linux/android in a really really fast lesson.

Now what You need to do is to find where S5 puts the things it downloads from App Store. Maybe You are missing that folder I have found. Dunno. Try to google it out and maybe someone can help You better. Or try to find it Yourself.

What I would do is to connect S5 with a cable to a PC, run adb shell logcat and then I would try to install something from the App Store. You will see all that crap that's going on and if there will be an error, You can see it, read it, think about it and solve it

Ot put it here and I will think for You

dialtones
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Try without an SD card in your device.

dibblebill
Old
(Last edited by dibblebill; 20th August 2014 at 05:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 653
I don't have install in either place (com.android.provides.downloads or com.android.vending) on my PadFone X and keep running into this issue

EDIT: In my case it won't download the whole app.

EDIT: Downgrading Play Store fixed it!
Lord of the Snarkô
ROM's:
Tempest [OmniROM] 4.4 (Manta) (m7att)

s!13ntk!113r
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks, it worked

I didn't try changing permissions but just cleared the Download Manager data and it did work

Tags
google play invalid download uri