[GUIDE] Temp to permanent root, using rage instead of visionary

Search This thread

xs2k

Nov 12, 2008
Hello,

I have a G2 running the latest update and I have been stuck at this step:

5. Launch Terminal Emulator, it Force Closes. Launch a second time, and you'll have a root shell

If I try to launch the Terminal Emu after Manu-->Reset Term, the screen stays white for roughly 10 minutes, and it'll force close. After that, I can NOT open it again. Anyone stuck at this step? Pleassssssee HELP!!!

xs2k

Nov 12, 2008
Hello,

5. Launch Terminal Emulator, it Force Closes. Launch a second time, and you'll have a root shell

If I try to launch the Terminal Emu after Manu-->Reset Term, the screen stays white for roughly 10 minutes, and it'll force close. After that, I can NOT open it again. Anyone stuck at this step? Pleassssssee HELP!!!

Bump!!! Anyone?

galaxymover

Jun 30, 2011
For some reason, my G2 refuses to have its S-OFF. Ive downgraded to an earlier froyo rom and have tried every perma-root method i found here on xda and on youtube. gfree told me that it failed to powercycle my emmc chip, whatever that means. Can anyone help?

cwburns32

Jul 25, 2011
Chicago
Hello,

Having same problem as you. Exactly.

Been trying this 3-4 times now for my roommates phone no dice, anyone here can help with this issue.

The G2 has been OTAd to 2.3.4, other than that nothing else has been done. Is there a special step you have to take for people with the 2.3.4 OTA.

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
used this guide two weeks ago to root my g2 had no issues with terminal emulator, are you running the version thats currently on the market.

Last edited:

desireless

Nov 26, 2007
Singapore
Hello,

Same issue here. I'm on Desire Z. The phone gets laggy (and hangs occasionally) after the Emulator force close and I can never start Terminal Emulator again. Whenever I finally get to the emulator icon (after the lags and hangs) and tap it, it just gives me a blank screen. Have to reboot phone to repeat procedure and get stuck at this step again.

I have tried "Better Terminal Emulator Pro" too and it has the same problem.

riccoex21

Jan 22, 2007
Sofia
Same here any help

Same issue here. I'm on Desire Z. The phone gets laggy (and hangs occasionally) after the Emulator force close and I can never start Terminal Emulator again. Whenever I finally get to the emulator icon (after the lags and hangs) and tap it, it just gives me a blank screen. Have to reboot phone to repeat procedure and get stuck at this step again.

I have tried "Better Terminal Emulator Pro" too and it has the same problem.

Boostjunky

Jun 18, 2010
Hello,

Also running into this issue. Anybody found a workaround yet?

Boostjunky

Jun 18, 2010
Well, for anyone running into this issue, I was able to root the phone by using the Wiki guide. It requires downgrading to Froyo, then using the old Froyo exploits to gain permanent root.

It all went very smoothly, and the instructions couldn't be more clear, so don't worry about missing any steps where the guide just assumes you know something...

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

raul602

Oct 28, 2010
Well, for anyone running into this issue, I was able to root the phone by using the Wiki guide. It requires downgrading to Froyo, then using the old Froyo exploits to gain permanent root.

It all went very smoothly, and the instructions couldn't be more clear, so don't worry about missing any steps where the guide just assumes you know something...

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

care to link me please? i was at it for like 3 hours yesterday and got no where:(

sarry86

Oct 18, 2012
Arusha

Code:
$ adb push hboot-eng.img /data/local
$ adb push wpthis-OTA.ko /data/local

ON YOUR PHONE:
You should still have terminal emulator up, at a root prompt. Now run:
Code:
# insmod /data/local/wpthis-OTA.ko
You should see:
Code:
init_module 'wpthis-OTA.ko' failed (Function not implemented)
That means it worked. This next step is CRUCIAL. You must make sure that you are writing to the proper partition here or you could brick your phone. To be absolutely clear- the partition is mmcblk(zero)p(one)(eight)

Code:
dd if=/data/local/hboot-eng.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

You should see some messages indicating that it was written. Next, run:

Code:
# /data/local/tmp/root
This will lock in root, and give you 'su' access in the future. Next, run:
Code:
# sync

Now wait at least a minute, just to be safe. After waiting, reboot your phone using the power button. After it finishes starting up, launch the terminal emulator, and type 'su'. You should get the prompt asking you to grant permissions. If you got the prompt, congratulations! You have permanent root!

getting Unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/getac: Operation not permitted on my htc vision :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's already a guide here for obtaining permanent root using VISIONary, but some folks in #G2ROOT are having issues with the way that VISIONary modifies parititons. Using rage directly is a bit cleaner, since you know exactly what it's going to touch at each step of the way. I did NOT come up with any of this on my own, I'm building completely off of work that others have done. Speaking of which-

None of this would be possible without the tireless work that scotty2 put in. He stayed with the project for well over a month, through lots of smashed hopes and dead ends, until the solution was finally found. Were it not for his work, as well as the help of a few other key folks- we wouldn't be here. He deserves our thanks and some donations! We're talking hundreds of hours of work here, a couple bucks is not too much for that. :) His paypal is:
    walker.scott@gmail.com
    Send him some love! I'm not asking for anything myself, because I spent a half hour putting this together, and that doesn't deserve any donations!

[size=+2]G2 ROOT INSTRUCTIONS[/size]
    =================================================

These are modified instructions based on the ones posted at http://bit.ly/g2root that use Visionary. A number of people have run into issues with the way that Visionary juggles around temporary partitions, and using the original root exploit is a much easier, and cleaner method for achieving permanent root. This tutorial will walk you through the rooting process by first achieving temporary root, and moving on to permanent root.

[size=+1]REQUIREMENTS[/size]

In the commands to run below, $ or # represent the prompt and should NOT be entered as part of the commands.

[size=+2]VERY IMPORTANT![/size]
    Visionary has caused filesystem corruption for some users during the rooting process. Before attempting the instructions below, make sure that you have "auto run on boot" turned OFF, and reboot your system. Since you will not need visionary anyway after this, you might as well just uninstall visionary and reboot NOW before doing anything.

[size=+1]TEMP ROOT[/size]
    ON YOUR PC:
    Unzip the G2TempRoot files to a folder. From a cmd window or terminal, navigate to that folder and execute these commands:

Code:
    $ adb push su /sdcard/su
    $ adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    $ adb push rage /data/local/tmp/rage
    $ adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
    $ adb push root /data/local/tmp/root
    $ adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*

ON YOUR PHONE:
    1. Launch Terminal Emulator
    2. /data/local/tmp/rage
    3. Wait for the message: "Forked #### childs."
    4. Menu > Reset Term - Terminal Emulator will exit.
    6. **NOTE**: in the original directions from the XDA thread, you are instructed to run the /data/local/tmp/root script here. DON'T do this
      just yet. Leave the terminal window open.

[size=+1]PERM ROOT[/size]
    ON YOUR PC:
    unzip the vision-perm-root.zip and navigate to that folder. There will be four files. You will need to push two of these to your phone- hboot-eng.img, and one of the wpthis-[..].ko files.

If you HAVE applied the OTA update, push wpthis-OTA.ko.
    If you HAVE NOT applied the OTA update, push wpthis-pre-OTA.ko.

Code:
    $ adb push hboot-eng.img /data/local
    $ adb push wpthis-OTA.ko /data/local

ON YOUR PHONE:
    You should still have terminal emulator up, at a root prompt. Now run:
    Code:
    # insmod /data/local/wpthis-OTA.ko
    You should see:
    Code:
    init_module 'wpthis-OTA.ko' failed (Function not implemented)
    That means it worked. This next step is CRUCIAL. You must make sure that you are writing to the proper partition here or you could brick your phone. To be absolutely clear- the partition is mmcblk(zero)p(one)(eight)

Code:
    dd if=/data/local/hboot-eng.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

You should see some messages indicating that it was written. Next, run:

Code:
    # /data/local/tmp/root
    This will lock in root, and give you 'su' access in the future. Next, run:
    Code:
    # sync

Now wait at least a minute, just to be safe. After waiting, reboot your phone using the power button. After it finishes starting up, launch the terminal emulator, and type 'su'. You should get the prompt asking you to grant permissions. If you got the prompt, congratulations! You have permanent root!
    I have the same issue. I have S-off but can't run /data/local/tmp/root without a lot of input/output errors.

Guys if your s-off you've already won the battle. All you need to do is go the the clockwork mod recovery thread. Grab the recovery that says for manually flashing from fastboot. Put that img on the root of your computers c drive named recovery.img. then download rom of your choice, I suggest starting with my stock w/root rom, and put it on the root of your sdcard.

*you will have to have adb/fastboot installed and working for this next step:

boot the phone into fastboot. And on the computer type "fastboot flash recovery c:\recovery.img" when its done you will have cwm recovery. Select recovery from the menu on the phone. BACKUP first. Then wipe data and wipe cache. Then go down to flash zip from sd, select zip from sd, then select the rom u downloaded.(be sure to follow the instructions on flashing that rom in whatever rom u choose to uses thread). Once that's done, your done. Reboot and enjoy!
    i get al the way to the end and there seems to be a problem with
    adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*
    because it says error cant find chmod

The "chmod" command is built into Android, so that should work. Are you copying and pasting in that command like that ? You're not accidentally doing "adb *push* chmod", are you ?
    The "chmod" command is built into Android, so that should work. Are you copying and pasting in that command like that ? You're not accidentally doing "adb *push* chmod", are you ?

He I'm helping him root the phone. We just copy pasting the code. I believe he used visionary prior to using rage but was unsuccessful. We're now stuck with s-off but no root. I'll be using the hex editor shortly to restore stock and s-on then attempt to root with rage again. What do you think?
    I tried to root my Desire Z, and for some reason maybe i missed the steps or something stupid,
    and now my phone is stuck on the HTC screen

I removed the battery, put it back and tried to switch it on, nothing happened.
    I did the factory settings back from the recovery boot, and it still stuck.

Is there anyway I can get my phone back?

Did you try using Visionary before you used the "rage" method ?

Can you get it into the bootloader (hboot), if you power off the phone, then hold Volume Down and then press the Power key till it turns on ? If so, what does it say at the top of the screen ?