Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,626 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What is lost when you unlock bootloader? Are drm keys needed?

Tip us?

A|ex
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorzCorry View Post
Then you've never had a case in germany
Here Sony is quite nice, and Samsung is like "Your device has a manufacturing bug? sorry bro, your device is rooted. that caused it"
I remember in the time of Arc S, where I've destroyed the battery chip (0% bug), and they changed it w/o problems through my warranty.
maybe depends what CS you go to, in hong kong I have had 0 tolerance to this, in the uk sony were a different. now when buying a sony if I root I treat it as an instant loss of warranty, however compared to Samsung I know I am safe.

it might have something to do with the bootloader and loss of drm, you do not lose anything with the Samsung that will reduce apps from working.
EU regulation (1999/44/CE) Does not save you if you have a Samsung or HTC

CorzCorry
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by A|ex View Post
maybe depends what CS you go to, in hong kong I have had 0 tolerance to this, in the uk sony were a different. now when buying a sony if I root I treat it as an instant loss of warranty, however compared to Samsung I know I am safe.

it might have something to do with the bootloader and loss of drm, you do not lose anything with the Samsung that will reduce apps from working.
I guess you missunderstood my post with that Arc S, it was just to show that Sony indeed changes their device even if they are rooted.
Well, Idk how Sony is now after they've broken up with Ericsson, I hope that I've never have to send my phone to repair.
Also, I don't know the law in HK, but in Germany they HAVE per law to prove within the first 6 month that YOU caused that missfuncion. So it doesn't matter if it's rooted or not. So basicly here in Germany after 1 year(or 6 months with root etc) it's like russian roulette.
Well, my device is rooted with custom FW, but it says "Bootloader unlock allowed: Yes" so it should be still locked with DRM partition and my warranty there
Tags
bootloader, unlock, xreality