Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,019 Members 52,194 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Huawei Mediapad X1 (Honor X1) 7" Phablet - Review

Tip us?

DrHRH
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveCreeker View Post
Thought I would jump in here and share some other 7 inch phablets that are/will be available. I too am looking for a 7 inch device. I am in the US using T-Mobile, so the only compatible speed would be 3G using the 1900 MHz frequency (which T-Mobile has refarmed to HSPA+ in many areas). That, theoretically, should give some fairly decent speeds. But unfortunately, T-Mobile doesn't guarantee the reliability of the 1900 Mhz frequency. There is really not any International phones that work with T-Mobile's LTE (1700/2100 Mhz)...I was real close to purchasing a Sony Xperia Z Ultra, but the cons to that are the battery, no camera flash, and a bit small at only 6.44 inches. I was real excited about this cheap Chinese phone called the OrientPhone Mega Pro 7, but I don't think it has the correct 3G frequency that I need for T-Mobile USA. So with that said, I will probably wait for the MediaPad X1/Honor in Black/3G to be released.

Here's the list: Let us know what you decide on.

Huawei MediaPad X1 / Huawei Honor X1 (7 inch)
2G: GSM:850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz TD-SCDMA A + F
4G: TDD-LTE:B38/39/40/41, FDD-LTE: B1/3/7
Data Services GPRS / EDGE / WCDMA HSPA + (DL: 42Mbps, UL: 5.76Mbps) / TD-SCDMA/TD-HSPA (DL: 2.8Mbps, UL: 2.2Mbps) / TDD LTE (DL: 112Mpbs, UL: 10Mbps)

HP Slate 7 VoiceTab Ultra (7 inch: possibly rebranded Huawei MediaPad X1)
GSM at 850/1800/1900 MHz
WCDMA at6 900/2100 MHz primary with a printed circuit board (PCB) design to support 850/2100 MHz

OrientPhone Mega Pro 7.0 (7 inch)
2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 850/2100MHz
GSM+WCDMA

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (8.4 inch International)
2G GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SM-T321, SM-T325
3G HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - SM-T321, SM-T325
4G LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 - SM-T325
I actually purchased and tried this device but service was not reliable. Sometimes I would get HSPA+ other times slow as a dog. Also, it was just a tad too big for everyday practical use. 7 inch seems to be the sweet spot for me...

HiSense MaxE X1
Not enough specs out yet and not available for sale that I could find.

Sony Xperia Z Ultra (6.4 inches)
This is the option which I was about to pull the trigger on because I know for a fact it will work on T-Mobile LTE. Only hesitation is that I really would like a 7 inch screen and most importantly an LED Flash for the camera. This doesn't have those

Huawei Ascend Mate 2 (6.1 inch)
I am currently using this now on T-Mobile LTE. It is actually an awesome phone and have no regrets purchasing it. Battery life is unbelievable. Can literally go for days with normal use. But, as mentioned, I would like a bit more screen real estate if possible.

Some very important and distressing info on the Huawei Mediapad X1 4G 32GB that I've just bought:

I use a Three UK pay as you go sim which normally gives me 300mins, 3000 texts and unlimited data. I put it into the Mediapad X1 and the phone works well for calls and texts but I can't use mobile data. The Three UK sim thinks the phone is a tablet and refuses to connect, informing me that I need to use a mobile broadband sim if I want to have mobile data access.

Three customer support tell me that this is a tablet and there is no solution other than buying a new data sim but then I won't be able to make calls or send texts.

Any ideas how to solve this?
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHRH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AbadyRahman
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Talking Two questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileInkSlinger View Post

Huawei Mediapad X1 (Honor X1) – Review

For a little over a year competing brands have been increasing their screen sizes and seeing just how far they can push the limits. Huawei’s latest entry to the big screen wars comes in with a huge 7 inch display. What I like about these new 7 inch devices is the borders have been scaled back making the finished product noticeably smaller than a tablet but giving you tons of screen real estate to work with. While the Huawei Mediapad X1 also known as the Huawei Honor X1 is not for everyone, those customers that are looking for a true phone, tablet hybrid might find the device they have been looking for.
Congrats on your phone. Hope it keeps on offering you a wonderful experience.
I have two questions..

One, does it have FM radio?

Two, and this might sound a bit strange, but how does the camera performance compare to the Honor 3C?
I know the latter has only 8 megapixels. But what I noticed from seeing several full resolution samples posted online is that it results in such detailed images. The photos might not be the prettiest and richest.. but they are by far very detailed.
Check this link for example: http://www.lowyat.net/2014/08/budget...sus-zenfone-5/
If you scroll down to the camera testing and first photo comparison.. you will definitely see clearly that the Honor 3C's photo seems pale and the dynamic range is less than the other ones. But if you click to view in full resolution, and zoom in to the object (the toy) you will see the amount of sharp details still preserved. You can even see those dust particles and scratches on the front of the motorcycle where it is not even present in other photos. The Honor 3C - in my opinion - surpasses other "high definition" 13 mp cameras in terms of detail sharpness.
Does the Mediapad X1 behave similarly? Yes that picture is grainy. But it is those fine details that I care for the most.. defined edges.. hair tips.. small pores.. clear textures...
So does the Mediapad, in full resoltuon, preserve those details? Or do the pictures come out fuzzy and seem slightly "shaken" and "oil-paint-like"?

Awaiting all replies regarding this matter.
Thank you very much.

DrHRH
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbadyRahman View Post
Congrats on your phone. Hope it keeps on offering you a wonderful experience.
I have two questions..

One, does it have FM radio?

Two, and this might sound a bit strange, but how does the camera performance compare to the Honor 3C?
I know the latter has only 8 megapixels. But what I noticed from seeing several full resolution samples posted online is that it results in such detailed images. The photos might not be the prettiest and richest.. but they are by far very detailed.
Check this link for example: http://www.lowyat.net/2014/08/budget...sus-zenfone-5/
If you scroll down to the camera testing and first photo comparison.. you will definitely see clearly that the Honor 3C's photo seems pale and the dynamic range is less than the other ones. But if you click to view in full resolution, and zoom in to the object (the toy) you will see the amount of sharp details still preserved. You can even see those dust particles and scratches on the front of the motorcycle where it is not even present in other photos. The Honor 3C - in my opinion - surpasses other "high definition" 13 mp cameras in terms of detail sharpness.
Does the Mediapad X1 behave similarly? Yes that picture is grainy. But it is those fine details that I care for the most.. defined edges.. hair tips.. small pores.. clear textures...
So does the Mediapad, in full resoltuon, preserve those details? Or do the pictures come out fuzzy and seem slightly "shaken" and "oil-paint-like"?

Awaiting all replies regarding this matter.
Thank you very much.
I haven't used the camera much but yesterday we went to an aquarium which was very dark in most places. Frankly the camera is sh%t. The pictures were blurry, noisy and generally terrible. I also shot a few videos and again they were disappointingly low quality. To compare, I used my Lumia 1520 and the difference is quite significant. The Lumia's camera is far superior.

So in summary, for objects moving around in low light, the X1 fails abysmally both in the photo and video department.

I'll let you know what it's like I decent light/sunlight.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHRH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

behrouz2014
Old
Thanks Meter 0
In dark places i increase camera exposure ;picture quality incresed significantly .Camera FV-5 APK has superior adjustments.

starsat
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default otg support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodade21 View Post
Does it Support OTG? Some said it does some say it does not... what is the truth?
Also 3G and 4G technologies apply only for the max speeds u can get from the carrier or it also applies on the speed u get from a house wifi?

EDIT: Also what are the alternatives phablets for that price range?
Do you believe that it gonna have any support from the XDA community for new/custom roms etc? (Is it possible or everything is locked or whatever...?)
HI. I Have the 7d501u model and it does support usb otg. I even connected a 500 gig hard drive to it.

DrHRH
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsat View Post
HI. I Have the 7d501u model and it does support usb otg. I even connected a 500 gig hard drive to it.
Yep. The Chinese 4G model (7D-503L) supports OTG as well. No problems with it at all from that point of view.

MobileInkSlinger
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHRH View Post
Some very important and distressing info on the Huawei Mediapad X1 4G 32GB that I've just bought:

I use a Three UK pay as you go sim which normally gives me 300mins, 3000 texts and unlimited data. I put it into the Mediapad X1 and the phone works well for calls and texts but I can't use mobile data. The Three UK sim thinks the phone is a tablet and refuses to connect, informing me that I need to use a mobile broadband sim if I want to have mobile data access.

Three customer support tell me that this is a tablet and there is no solution other than buying a new data sim but then I won't be able to make calls or send texts.

Any ideas how to solve this?
I might be over simplifying things here, but have you you gone into your settings under mobile networks to check if there are other network options you can select? I had something similar happen to me a while back and that fixed the problem.

adelattre
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default selling my x1

I've listed my Mediapad/Honor X1 on swappa if you're looking for one cheap
search for listing CQZ718 (can't post link here)

chiefkevbe
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Does anyone know if there is any sort of recovery for the mediapad x1, whether cwm or twrp?

Tags
chinese phone, huawei honor x1, huawei mediapad x1, phablet, review