Whatsapp crash on loading with multiuser (not owner)

10th July 2014, 02:21 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomico001

unlucky it is not rooted but ty for news

atomico001, have you tried towelroot? It is very easy to use: download an app, press a button, and after a restart you got rooted.
That's the way I rooted my nexus, and since we have the same tablet I guess it should work for you as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=P80NMQss2B0
10th July 2014, 04:13 PM   |  #12  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

67 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camolin3

atomico001, have you tried towelroot? It is very easy to use: download an app, press a button, and after a restart you got rooted.
That's the way I rooted my nexus, and since we have the same tablet I guess it should work for you as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=P80NMQss2B0

no wipe needed? i know that from 4.3 and more it is not more possible
11th July 2014, 03:33 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomico001

no wipe needed? i know that from 4.3 and more it is not more possible

No wipe required. My Nexus 7 2013 has android 4.4.4. Try it (under your own risk).
14th July 2014, 09:46 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 3

59 posts
More
Any update on this issue? I am trying to install it on a Second account, which is not the owner and it just crashes after verifying the code.
15th September 2014, 02:37 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 2

2 posts
Thumbs up It works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by camolin3

I was trying to achieve the same for my tablet and I've found a solution. I've posted an article on my fresh new blog
camolin3.tumblr.com/post/91306835140/make-whatapp-to-run-in-a-second-user-of-an-android

Basically you have to grant read, write and exec permission to all the users of the /data/data/com.whatsapp directory.

I hope it helps you.

Thank you camolin! This fixed it for me! Note that the permission change needs to be recursive (for all subfolders as well)
The Following User Says Thank You to etienne.vdlinde For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th September 2014, 05:20 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 2

2 posts
Update
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne.vdlinde

Thank you camolin! This fixed it for me! Note that the permission change needs to be recursive (for all subfolders as well)

Here's an update - seems like the location /data/data/com.whatsapp will be shared amongst all users - causing your whatsapp db to corrupt each time you fire up another user's whatsapp. I found a way around this (probably not the cleanest) by keeping the contents of the com.whatsapp folder in a space where android can manage seperate user access (e.g. /sdcard/temp) and inserted a static link to it at the original place where whatsapp expects it. That is:
  • backup you whatsapp messages in app
  • exit and uninstall all instances of whatsapp
  • create a folder /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp
  • copy the contents of /data/data/com.whatsapp to /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp
  • remove /data/data/com.whatsapp
  • create a static link at /data/data to /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp (requires terminal access):
    ln -s /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp /data/data/com.whatsapp
  • verify linked access to folder /data/data/com.whatsapp from all user accounts
  • reinstall whatsapp (might need to recover backed up messages)

I am now able to run a seperate whatsapp under each user account without affecting the other (thus far)

Update - this setup does not survive a restart (which then requires unlinking and reinstalling whatsapp)
Last edited by etienne.vdlinde; 16th September 2014 at 02:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to etienne.vdlinde For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread