Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,233 Members 51,029 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Desire 816 Power Button Issue.

Tip us?

Rockstar600
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216
Thumbs down HTC Desire 816 Power Button Issue.

Hello everyone,
Hope you are doing well,
As you can already know by the topic name. My 7 day old HTC Desire 816 has gone for a toss. You might ask how?
Here's the whole story. ( I haven't been posting much of topics like this, bear with me if I miss out any point)

I got the phone around 7-8 days ago. I wanted a secondary Android phone that can be used as a multimedia device, and can fit my needs for Music, surfing the web, Whatsapp, Facebook and so on. I finally decided to get this phone. I was quiet happy with it. But then suddenly after 2 days, I had this issue of the power button getting stuck inside the phone's body, and that too all by itself. And I got a message saying "To restart your device, press the power button and volume up/down button." I didn't even know why that happened, but then I thought that it might have happened because I kept the phone in my jeans. The jeans itself wasn't that tight, at least not tight for a phone's power button to get stuck!

This issue was somehow solved by gently pressing the power button again. And it used to work fine after.

But today night, (13th FRIDAY!!! June 2014) when I kept my phone to charge, the same message appeared "To restart your device, press the power button and volume up/down button." I took it normally, thinking this happened because the power button might have been stuck again, and this time the phone wasn't in my jeans pocket either, so I gently pressed it again. But this time, nothing happened. And the power button was literally inside the phone. I tried pressing it a bit harder thinking it would release itself somehow, but nothing happened either.

Maybe I just have a faulty unit? Or is it something else that's making this happen? Just disappointed because this happening to a week old device is just too bad. I have no idea what will the Service Center guys will have to tell me.

I wanted to ask can I get a replacement? I don't want to use the same handset now. Also, asking the fellow Desire 816 owners, do they face the same issue?? Like the power button not responding? Or the volume button??

It is almost 2am, tomorrow I will be visiting the service center and would let them know about the issue. I will keep you guys updated if ever interested. Fingers crossed
Contact me: shubharia@gmail.com, I would be glad to help you out.
Pro Tip: Be calm when you answer someone, not everyone is a born geek.

I'm not here to beg for thanx

Rockstar600
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216
Here's the message that I get.

Sent from, Babaji ka thullu.

bade398
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Mine is fine.
Im not facing any problems
Atleast for now

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 dual sim using Tapatalk
Hit TheThanks Button If I Helped U

Current Device : HTC Desire 816W
Previous Devices : htc Wildfire s/htc One x+ Black 64 GB/htc One Silver 32 GB/Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100/Galaxy S4 GT-I9500.

Rockstar600
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bade398 View Post
Mine is fine.
Im not facing any problems
Atleast for now

Hope it never troubles you either mate.
Are your volume and power buttons sturdy? Or do they move a bit? I find the buttons cheap since the beginning and this incident has made me hate the phone more.

bade398
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar600 View Post
Hope it never troubles you either mate.
Are your volume and power buttons sturdy? Or do they move a bit? I find the buttons cheap since the beginning and this incident has made me hate the phone more.
Yes they fell cheap
Volume button moves a little bit
Power buttons doesn't but i can press them well and not facing any problem.
As for hating ur phone i think you should get a replacement cuz every thing else in this phone is amazing especially for its price 330$ for the dual sim unlocked version is not expansive at all.
Hope u can change it

Hit TheThanks Button If I Helped U

Current Device : HTC Desire 816W
Previous Devices : htc Wildfire s/htc One x+ Black 64 GB/htc One Silver 32 GB/Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100/Galaxy S4 GT-I9500.
The Following User Says Thank You to bade398 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rockstar600
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216
I got the HTC One Mini, a 2 month old handsey for a fair price. I purchased it. I did get to return my Desire 816 back, and got the One Mini.

Thank you for the replies. Your help is much appreciated.

Not all phones are the same, mayne I just got a faulty unit. Hope no one other faces this issue. The phone indeed is good for that price. None can deny.

Sent from my HTC One mini using XDA Free mobile app

Sunnyjain111
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default I am Facing same issue.

I got an Htc desire 816 10 days back and now my power button is not working.
what do i do?
Please help me out.
Thank you so much in advance.

vbrsekhar
Old
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
Use pocket gravity sensor apk for the time being until you find a proper solution. If you are good enough, remove the back part of the mobile starting from head phone socket and fix the power button. Hard but the only way to make it fully functional again without changing phone.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 dual sim using XDA Free mobile app

mystify69
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The best option is to use a flip cover. It not only protects your phone in the long run but when you open the cover the screen turns on automatically and turns off when you shut the cover. In this way it's easier and it will also protect your phone and the power button.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 using XDA Free mobile app

Sathish_kumar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi dude i too have the same power button problem it's stuck what should i do now

Tags
faulty device, frustraiting, hardware button, lock button