Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,192 Members 37,692 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] TowelRoot - 4.3 & 4.4.2

Tip us?

ayazuddinkhan
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Default not working on samsung SM-G355H

Help please.
It is not working on samsung SM-G355H
"HIT THANKS IF I HELPED YOU"

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 5,831

DONATE TO ME
You should probably ask for help in your devices forum. This is the T999 S3 forum. Besides no one here had anything to do with the development of this. I only posted the thread to inform others of its availability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

drizze99
Old
Thanks Meter 76
I must have a "POS" S3 because nothing I ever do seems to go as planned...

So I just tried to root using towelroot and it rooted fine (to my knowledge). Wen to the play store and installed SuperSU and it asked to update the binary. I said OK and it asked if I wanted to do it Normal or TWRP/CWM and I chose Normal (I don't have a custom recovery on the phone). It goes into the screen like its updating the binary and then it says "update failed, try again." I reboot the phone and it's very laggy... I open up SuperSU and it doesn't ask me to update the binary. Now the phone is unbearable (laggy) and it's locking up forcing me to hard boot it.

Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizze99 View Post
I must have a "POS" S3 because nothing I ever do seems to go as planned...

So I just tried to root using towelroot and it rooted fine (to my knowledge). Wen to the play store and installed SuperSU and it asked to update the binary. I said OK and it asked if I wanted to do it Normal or TWRP/CWM and I chose Normal (I don't have a custom recovery on the phone). It goes into the screen like its updating the binary and then it says "update failed, try again." I reboot the phone and it's very laggy... I open up SuperSU and it doesn't ask me to update the binary. Now the phone is unbearable (laggy) and it's locking up forcing me to hard boot it.

Any suggestions?
OK, so uninstalled SuperSU and flashed PhilZ CWM touch recovery. I used towelroot again and this time I installed Superuser from CWM. It wanted to update the binary and I chose the custom recovery method. My phone booted into recovery and it said that the signature file wasn't good but I installed it anyways because its the binary that cam with the Superuser app from the play store. It installed the binary, etc and I booted the phone up. Phone wasn't laggy and seemed to work until I tried using a "root" app. I installed root checker and it said that the device did not have proper root access. I then hit towelroot again and then checked with root checker and it said I had root. Went into Superuser and it said it wanted to update the binary. I update the binary again and lost root again!! I am just going in a big circle!!!
Service: T-Mobile
Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII [T999]
ROM: Stock 4.3
Kernel: Stock
Modem: Stock
Launcher: Holo HD
Recovery: Stock

Device: Samsung Vibrant 1 [Retired] Device: Samsung Vibrant 2 [Sold]

DocHoliday77
Old
Thanks Meter 5,831

DONATE TO ME
Since you have philz recovery now, go to chsinfires SuperSU thread and download the update zip file linked there. Then flash that in recovery.

You probably should uninstall SuperSU first. Maybe even choose full unroot, but I don't really know what effect that might have, if any...

drizze99
Old
(Last edited by drizze99; 13th September 2014 at 10:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
Since you have philz recovery now, go to chsinfires SuperSU thread and download the update zip file linked there. Then flash that in recovery.

You probably should uninstall SuperSU first. Maybe even choose full unroot, but I don't really know what effect that might have, if any...

Now SuperSU is saying that I don't have an su binary installed and that I should consult the forums for my device if I'm running android 4.3.... I'm running NC2 4.3 right now... any other ways to root this phone besides towelroot?

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

I checked for root after I used towelroot and root checker said it was rooted. I flashed SuperSu through CWM and then booted the phone up from there and root was lost and SuperSU said the binary is missing. Something on my phone is erasing it, LOL.

Joe902
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Easy as pie, thenks.

Quote:
Yes, the first thing after rooting should be a backup of your nv data.
Get terminal emulator from the play store and enter this:

su
reboot nvbackup

Thats it!

Beyond that, just check out the sticky threads and search "what to do after root" or something to that effect.
I'm a newbie and have had a lot of reservations about rooting but I want to get the most out of my device so after the warranty expired I figured, here goes nothing! I followed all your steps [towel root...make it ra1n...supersu (had to close & reopen!)... and nv data backup). I didn't experience any problems whatsoever and now I'm looking forward to unlocking the full potential of my phone! Indeed, what's next?!

Eastlink SGH-T999V Kitkat 4.4.2

DocHoliday77
Old
Thanks Meter 5,831

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizze99 View Post
Now SuperSU is saying that I don't have an su binary installed and that I should consult the forums for my device if I'm running android 4.3.... I'm running NC2 4.3 right now... any other ways to root this phone besides towelroot?

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

I checked for root after I used towelroot and root checker said it was rooted. I flashed SuperSu through CWM and then booted the phone up from there and root was lost and SuperSU said the binary is missing. Something on my phone is erasing it, LOL.
At this point, here is what i would do.
Copy firmware to sdcard and flash using Mobile Odin.
Since you've updated already, its safe to use.
If you don't have the Pro version you can follow chainfires thread for how to use the free one. It includes an option called Everroot that will inject root during the flash.

I also have some instructions for how to use it in my firmware thread but it may be a bit out of date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe902 View Post
I'm a newbie and have had a lot of reservations about rooting but I want to get the most out of my device so after the warranty expired I figured, here goes nothing! I followed all your steps [towel root...make it ra1n...supersu (had to close & reopen!)... and nv data backup). I didn't experience any problems whatsoever and now I'm looking forward to unlocking the full potential of my phone! Indeed, what's next?!

Eastlink SGH-T999V Kitkat 4.4.2
Make a nandroid backup and copy to your computer. Then start trying different ROMs to find one that you really like.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drizze99
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
At this point, here is what i would do.
Copy firmware to sdcard and flash using Mobile Odin.
Since you've updated already, its safe to use.
If you don't have the Pro version you can follow chainfires thread for how to use the free one. It includes an option called Everroot that will inject root during the flash.

I also have some instructions for how to use it in my firmware thread but it may be a bit out of date.

Interesting... Definitely looking into this when I have a minute!! You rock Doc!

DocHoliday77
Old
Thanks Meter 5,831

DONATE TO ME
Updated post 2 with new information and a link to an older version of SuperSU.

A lot of people have had trouble with updating the binary and root not working. Chainfire is working on it, but for now use what I have posted in #2.

Tags
galaxy s3, kitkat, root, t999, towelroot