Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 44,694 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help, please participate. Do I have a bad hot CPU?

Tip us?
 
demoncamber
Old
#21  
demoncamber's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Posts: 933
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachera View Post
check whats using cpu, enable development settings, then in development settings there is an option that shows whats utilizimg cpu. Could be a process that has gone astray.

usually clean install without recovering apps data does the trick. Dont ever recover system stuff.
This was the first thing I've checked. With wake locks and app CPU usage, my phone seems to be operating optimally software wise.

Sent from my LG-D801
First learned on: HTC Glacier: myTouch 4G
Sold on swappa:T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II T989 + SGS3 T999L LTE
Current: T-Mo LG G2 D801
 
bachera
Old
#22  
bachera's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 384
Posts: 1,567
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoncamber View Post
This was the first thing I've checked. With wake locks and app CPU usage, my phone seems to be operating optimally software wise.

Sent from my LG-D801
in development settings its called cpu usage, the first in the overlay list is whats using it most. Those are not apps shown but service level. Something that might not be portrait with app cpu usage.

then google what it is.

Anyway if you have eliminated software, go check warrantee
 
demoncamber
Old
#23  
demoncamber's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Posts: 933
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachera View Post
in development settings its called cpu usage, the first in the overlay list is whats using it most. Those are not apps shown but service level. Something that might not be portrait with app cpu usage.

then google what it is.

Anyway if you have eliminated software, go check warrantee
Yeah, I use that one and the CPU usage overlay found in dev settings also. Both really great tools. I've got this sucker greenified and probably running the best it possibly can! I have a replacement coming Monday, so I'll do some direct temp comparisons and if the new one runs cooler, I'm keepin it.

Sent from my LG-D801
First learned on: HTC Glacier: myTouch 4G
Sold on swappa:T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II T989 + SGS3 T999L LTE
Current: T-Mo LG G2 D801
 
nexus_vl
Old
#24  
nexus_vl's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 67
Posts: 75
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mol

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoncamber View Post
I've been experimenting as well with UV.. It does make a difference. But sadly it still hits the throttling threshold.

Sent from my LG-D801
It always does at some point.
I think my LG802 works great and is really fast, however with my old HTC one X+ it takes a lot longer before it begins to throttle.
however at stock settings, no oc or uv/ov, it should not reboot.
Did you ever try Quadrant Standard benchmark? This benchmarks the CPU much shorter then for instants antutu, witch really stresses the CPU much longer.
In Quadrant the CPU score should be around the same as mine, no oc of course and governor in performance mode; this is also important, I tested many kernels and governors on different phones and some governors just clock back on 100% load. Also much difference between the same governor from one kernel to the other.
I use simplekernel v5 and its much faster sins I changed many settings.
 
demoncamber
Old
#25  
demoncamber's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Posts: 933
Join Date: Jan 2012
Here's the funniest part... The replacement came in today from tmo, along with a dead pixel, and side by side stress tests the replacement device ran hotter than my original!!!
Lmao, I'm guessing my phone is fine and its not an issue. I only get a reboot when I turn off throttling. It must be hitting thermal protection and shutting down on me for safety. The phone is fast I'll just have to really tweak and test each frequencies voltage and live with it. There isn't really a point to over clocking this phone.

Sent from my LG-D801
First learned on: HTC Glacier: myTouch 4G
Sold on swappa:T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II T989 + SGS3 T999L LTE
Current: T-Mo LG G2 D801
 
tiguy99
Old
(Last edited by tiguy99; 16th September 2014 at 04:45 AM.)
#26  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 93
Posts: 810
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoncamber View Post
Here's the funniest part... The replacement came in today from tmo, along with a dead pixel, and side by side stress tests the replacement device ran hotter than my original!!!
Lmao, I'm guessing my phone is fine and its not an issue. I only get a reboot when I turn off throttling. It must be hitting thermal protection and shutting down on me for safety. The phone is fast I'll just have to really tweak and test each frequencies voltage and live with it. There isn't really a point to over clocking this phone.

Sent from my LG-D801
I'm on my 4th G2 (this one has KIT KAT...yuck) and I'm starting to think the early ones had better hardware vs the newer ones...

It goes like this:
1st phone...perfect...ran cool 24/7 and had killer battery life. Sad the screen was Water Damaged from snow flakes

2nd phone...ran so hot, battery life was non existent...sent back
3rd phone excellent...almost like 1st phone but screen one day stopped responding to touch at the top...so that one was replaced.

Now I'm on phone #4... This one is almost like phone 2 but not as bad on battery life....however it does run warm to hot all the time. A lot more than phones 1 and 3.

Battery life is half...yes half of phones 1 & 3.

In thinking of returning this one too and either hoping for the best or saving my money and getting the G3....

I love this phone but the inconsistencies with manufacturing the hardware has me a little worried

Will run this app and share my results

Update Edit:

Peak temp during test....74c

Avg Temp before test...51c

Battery life before test...74%

Battery life after test....67%

Prior to running the test i ran Antutu and scored a 26,332...

comparison to my 3rd phone which scored 33,642 average and the first phone which hit 34,330 All stock and no root by the way
- LG G2 32GB (white)
- HTC Sensation 4G (project phone)

- Motorola Atrix HD (Sold but not forgotten)
- HTC One XL (still in the family)
- Samsung galaxy s2 T-mobile Jedi Mind Trick v9 ROM (sold)
- iPhone 4 white unlocked (sold)
- iPhone 3G 16GB (sold)
- iphone Unlocked (sold)
- T-Mobile Dash (Sold)
- Verizon Motorola Q (Sold) <--- best phone I
had before the iphone
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes