Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,714 Members 46,256 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Shattered Screen Experience

Tip us?
 
Tej XFire
Old
#91  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 78
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfvick View Post
Unfortunately, they will still be able to tell. My screen shattered and I had an unlocked bootloader with S-off. Went back to stock, re-locked, changed re-locked to locked and removed tampered banner, and sent it in (from what I read turning S-on will trip re-locked and tampered so I didn't do).

Got a quote from them yesterday that they'd only replace my screen for free if I paid $290 for them to replace my motherboard since my bootloader was unlocked (they will look to see if you requested an unlock token from HTC Dev as well as looking on the device itself). After spending an hour on the phone with them yesterday they say they will do it for $145 but a supervisor is supposed to call me back so we can discuss more. They still haven't explained to me why the motherboard needs to be replaced besides "we have to since the bootloader was unlocked."

My approach when dealing with them is that there are two separate warranties for the phone - the screen replacement warranty and a 1 year warranty for the rest of the phone. The screen warranty doesn't mention unlocked bootloader voiding it, only that "unauthorized modifications.." will. Whereas the 1 year warranty mentions "unauthorized modifications..." as well as "the bootloader has been unlocked.." voiding the warranty.

I'll let you guys know where I get with them.
Hello there. Sorry for asking this question as this thread was started long ago. How was your device after the repair ? Does it look mint, or a bit damaged ? I mean like do you have scratches/scuffs on the display ?, any other marks on the body;etc. Thanks in Advance
 
Tej XFire
Old
#92  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 78
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village_ID10T View Post
Cheers. No idea how mine scratched, came to me on ebay that way. Seller was a liar trying to offload damaged goods then blamed me. Luckily the phone was still eligible for HTC trade in. The front of it was fine otherwise but there were some small corner dings and some tiny black marks on the back. I was worried they would charge for chassis damage but they didn't. Got the new phone and threw on the $40 Zagg glass immediately. Never had a phone glass scratch like this so this scares me. It's definitely possible. Zagg actually makes the glass better than naked anyway, so I'm happy.
Sorry for the delayed reply, I was on a mini vacation. So, they sent you a refurbished device, right ? Or a replacement ? Thanks !

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by otariq View Post
Do you guys think they would honor this even if the screen isn't shattered? Say the 6 month period is ending and I have a bunch of scratches and want a new glass would they go for it?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
Hello Mate. Sorry for bothering you at this point. One question. Does yours have deep scratches on the display ? Are you planning to replace the screen under the Advantage program ? Thanks in advance
 
otariq
Old
#93  
otariq's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 125
Posts: 1,274
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tej XFire View Post
Sorry for the delayed reply, I was on a mini vacation. So, they sent you a refurbished device, right ? Or a replacement ? Thanks !

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------



Hello Mate. Sorry for bothering you at this point. One question. Does yours have deep scratches on the display ? Are you planning to replace the screen under the Advantage program ? Thanks in advance
I bought my phone when it first came out so my 6 month period will expire in October. At the end of September I'll contact them and see if they will replace it for just scratches instead of it being broken. I don't wanna risk breaking it and them saying they won't honor the warranty because I unlocked the bootloader. I've read that happen but when people talked to a supervisor they ended up changing the glass for free. If they do replace it which I hope so I'll get a screen protector

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
 
Tej XFire
Old
#94  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 78
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by otariq View Post
I bought my phone when it first came out so my 6 month period will expire in October. At the end of September I'll contact them and see if they will replace it for just scratches instead of it being broken. I don't wanna risk breaking it and them saying they won't honor the warranty because I unlocked the bootloader. I've read that happen but when people talked to a supervisor they ended up changing the glass for free. If they do replace it which I hope so I'll get a screen protector

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
Got it. But I wanted to know the scratches on your display. Everyone seems to suffer with the same issue. Anyways thanks.
 
otariq
Old
#95  
otariq's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 125
Posts: 1,274
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tej XFire View Post
Got it. But I wanted to know the scratches on your display. Everyone seems to suffer with the same issue. Anyways thanks.
Oh gotcha. Well the one deep one I have is by the edge of the screen and it's been there for a long time. Not exactly sure how I got it but it's pretty small but still visible sometimes on a white background if light is shining on the glass. Then I also have a handful of tiny hairline scratches that aren't visible when the screen is on. I think I got these from probably just cleaning the screen with my shirt or microfiber cloth.
 
Tej XFire
Old
#96  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 78
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by otariq View Post
Oh gotcha. Well the one deep one I have is by the edge of the screen and it's been there for a long time. Not exactly sure how I got it but it's pretty small but still visible sometimes on a white background if light is shining on the glass. Then I also have a handful of tiny hairline scratches that aren't visible when the screen is on. I think I got these from probably just cleaning the screen with my shirt or microfiber cloth.
Yo. The same story here. Poor display. Probably we should not wipe the display that often. Looks like wiping is doing more harm than good. I personally hate those screen protectors , which makes the FHD display feel like it's got a resolution of 480x800
 
Village_ID10T
Old
#97  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jul 2014
[QUOTE=Tej XFire;55331356]Sorry for the delayed reply, I was on a mini vacation. So, they sent you a refurbished device, right ? Or a replacement ? Thanks !

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------



Not sure if refurb but I assume so. It's physically perfect so I can't tell. The only complaint I have is that I'm unable to lock GPS location consistently but that could be CM. Not sure yet.

I was completely anti-screen protector too before this but didn't want to risk another scratch since it seems this is butter glass. Sorry to cheerlead for Zagg but the slippery smooth feel of the glass is awesome. Way better than the naked glass alone. Absolutely zero alteration to the visible display. Really a good product with a solid warranty.
 
otariq
Old
#98  
otariq's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 125
Posts: 1,274
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tej XFire View Post
Yo. The same story here. Poor display. Probably we should not wipe the display that often. Looks like wiping is doing more harm than good. I personally hate those screen protectors , which makes the FHD display feel like it's got a resolution of 480x800
If they replace the screen I plan on getting a tempered glass.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
 
MisterRich
Old
#99  
MisterRich's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 43
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
I just recently had my phone sent for repairs for a damaged screen and the experience was nearly perfect. My original phone WAS a developer edition, which I had rooted, and converted over to Google Play Edition, and unlocked, and removed the tamper banner. HTC did NOT have any concern with the fact the phone's OS was tampered, they just wanted to ensure the hardware was fine. I did overnight and receive my replacement phone promptly. The ONLY thing that was odd about the exchange, was I was given a Sprint model phone, which, doesn't bother me as I was able to re-root, S-OFF, GPE, unlock it again, ( so, really NOTHING is different ) it'll just be weird when I sell the device because the serial number on the box is not going to match the device and I'll have to explain the scenario.
 
jake.99x3
Old
#100  
jake.99x3's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 200
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Richmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by murf43143 View Post
So you didn't root this or anything I hope right?

I just got off the chat with HTC and they said if I root this phone it voids all warranty even screen repair.

So now I have been scrambling to go back to stock everything from S-OFF so I can send this in for repair using the same free option.
Just flash the modified hboot so that I says s-on stock recovery and bootloader locked
I'M AN ANGRY FLASHER
iPhone 3g - iPhone 4 - Nexus 4 - Galaxy s4 - Htc One M8
DON'T BE AFRAID TO HIT THE THANKS BUTTON
UNLOCKED BL S-OFF TWRP

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes