Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,829 Members 42,669 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[how to] lock/unlock your bootloader without htcdev(s-off required)

Tip us?
 
skulldreamz
Old
#131  
skulldreamz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 420
Posts: 634
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICH_** View Post
yeah, just figured it out. working now!

bit off topic, sorry: do you recommend to go s-on for warranty? everything is stock..just s-off is left
Once s-off you should stay s-off. HTC has been known to send out device's to customers already s-off so they will not deny a warranty claim for you being s-off.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
 
nraines
Old
#132  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 19
Join Date: Apr 2011
So I just received the Verizon OTA and successfully updated my M8, but SuperSU survived, even after a factory reset. Is there any way to get it off of my phone now, or am I stuck? I have no more root, but it is still a system app.
 
skulldreamz
Old
#133  
skulldreamz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 420
Posts: 634
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nraines View Post
So I just received the Verizon OTA and successfully updated my M8, but SuperSU survived, even after a factory reset. Is there any way to get it off of my phone now, or am I stuck? I have no more root, but it is still a system app.
You could flash supersu .zip and then use its option in the app to fully unroot. Then flash a stock recovery. Good to go [emoji12]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
 
nraines
Old
#134  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 19
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by skulldreamz View Post
You could flash supersu .zip and then use its option in the app to fully unroot. Then flash a stock recovery. Good to go [emoji12]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I tried that before I accepted the update, along with several other methods of removal. It kept re-installing after reboot no matter what I did. I'm wondering if HTC will even look at my apps for a broken screen replacement. Maybe I can just hide SuperSU in the app drawer and hope they don't dig in? No root, just a non-stock root system app...
 
Jephreyz
Old
#135  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 15
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by skulldreamz View Post
The easiest way would be to just flash a ruu. It will take you to out of the box conditions.

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------



Yes you can but you have to be on a UNMODIFIED HBOOT WHEN YOU GO S-ON OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE INSTANTLY. To lock your bootloader type "fastboot oem lock" without the quotes. and to go s-on type, actually pm me as I dont want to put that out in the open cuz it can brick if you don't know what your doing.
Would an unmodified hboot of the GPE M8 work even if the phone was originally had a Sense stock hboot?
 
scotty1223
Old
#136  
scotty1223's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,294
Posts: 2,270
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephreyz View Post
Would an unmodified hboot of the GPE M8 work even if the phone was originally had a Sense stock hboot?
the phone must be 100% stock,not 99.5% stock. even if you use stock components,if they are not what the phone expects,you could end up tampered,locked into bootloader with a security warning,ir even in a processor "do not boot" mode(read hard brick)

in other words the only way id attempt s on is:
1)i had an unlockable bootloader
2)after running a full,signed RUU

if you cant meet the first one, the risk is not worth it,IMO. even if youre able to ,eet both criteria,that does not gaurantee you wont have issue
The Delivery Guy
If someone has helped you,please click the THANKS button on that post.
Please post questions so others can benefit from the answers(<-this means do not PM me questions)
donate to my device fund
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Jephreyz
Old
(Last edited by Jephreyz; Today at 01:35 AM.)
#137  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 15
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1223 View Post
the phone must be 100% stock,not 99.5% stock. even if you use stock components,if they are not what the phone expects,you could end up tampered,locked into bootloader with a security warning,ir even in a processor "do not boot" mode(read hard brick)

in other words the only way id attempt s on is:
1)i had an unlockable bootloader
2)after running a full,signed RUU

if you cant meet the first one, the risk is not worth it,IMO. even if youre able to ,eet both criteria,that does not gaurantee you wont have issue
So I eventually went against your advice and turned S-ON on my AT&T HTC One M8 converted to a GPE. I figured I would share my experience with you since there apparently isn't much we know about S on HTC devices and perhaps this information might benefit the community but then again, I don't really know what I'm talking about. By turning S-ON after flashing the stock RUU posted by graffixnyc in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708589
Nothing bad happened. At least nothing I can see. I haven't seen any warning flags, red text, etc. My phone did not brick or anything like that and I was able to also lock the bootloader. My phone is fully functional (as far as I can tell). I have not tried an OTA update and I'm not sure if the S-ON will interfere with an OTA update from a different source. I can give an update once I attempt an Android L OTA soon if you'd like. For now, I can say that converting the device to stock unrooted and going S-ON will not do anything noticeably bad to the phone. I hope this information has helped you but then again, I don't really know what kind of information will help so if this didn't help, I'm sorry and I'll refrain from spamming you again. I'd like to thank you for your advice throughout this process. Without your help, I would have never been able to gain the knowledge I have on S in general. Thanks for helping me and thanks for helping the community
The Following User Says Thank You to Jephreyz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
scotty1223
Old
(Last edited by scotty1223; Today at 01:54 AM.)
#138  
scotty1223's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,294
Posts: 2,270
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephreyz View Post
So I eventually went against your advice and turned S-ON on my AT&T HTC One M8 converted to a GPE. I figured I would share my experience with you since there apparently isn't much we know about S on HTC devices and perhaps this information might benefit the community but then again, I don't really know what I'm talking about. By turning S-ON after flashing the stock RUU posted by graffixnyc in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708589
Nothing bad happened. At least nothing I can see. I haven't seen any warning flags, red text, etc. My phone did not brick or anything like that and I was able to also lock the bootloader. My phone is fully functional (as far as I can tell). I have not tried an OTA update and I'm not sure if the S-ON will interfere with an OTA update from a different source. I can give an update once I attempt an Android L OTA soon if you'd like. For now, I can say that converting the device to stock unrooted and going S-ON will not do anything noticeably bad to the phone. I hope this information has helped you but then again, I don't really know what kind of information will help so if this didn't help, I'm sorry and I'll refrain from spamming you again. I'd like to thank you for your advice throughout this process. Without your help, I would have never been able to gain the knowledge I have on S in general. Thanks for helping me and thanks for helping the community
I'm glad you didn't have issue,but unfortunately your experience isn't enough to say with certainty that "nothing bad will happen" every time. Lots of folks returned to s on without prollems,but some have not,and we can't ever be certain what a state a persons device is in,and how the phone will react to it. An HTC phone does a lot of security checks.

While we appreciate your sharing your experience,not every one will have the same one.


Sent from my HTC PG09410 using Tapatalk 2
The Delivery Guy
If someone has helped you,please click the THANKS button on that post.
Please post questions so others can benefit from the answers(<-this means do not PM me questions)
donate to my device fund

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes