OP bloodiedwraith

11th August 2014, 03:37 AM   |  #111  
fort campbell ky
Thanks Meter: 113

417 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragmentedLogik

so if i pay the $25 x 2 devices does it give S-Off and unlock the bootloader?

Yes
12th August 2014, 10:37 AM   |  #112  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 806

1,594 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericerk

I'm glad that you feel this way, but a lot of people don't feel this way. While the work is worth something, and always appreciated there are some polices that are kind of ridiculous. For example: You have some form of hardware issue, a factory defect, the vib motor stops working etc... post paying the 25 buck fee... After you get the device replaced, You you have to pay again, same fee.

Whilst the work is appreciated, and your opinion is noted, please don't dictate the feelings people have about paying for what was once free. This is the first time, a software modification such as S-Off / Bootloader unlocking has become real.

Now I know you want to bring up the bounty threads, those are people who are trying to motivate the devs to unlock. People who have spare cash. Some people don't really have a spare 25 bucks. While that number may not seem like a lot to you, it's a lot for a college student, I know no one is forcing anything on any of us but again, we must come back to my point, it was free before, now it's paid. It stings a little. No one is being ungrateful, we're just confused. When you get used to something you like keeping it. I.E. free mods, and the benefits of Unlocked bootloaders (Yay CM)

This is not an attack against the sunshine team. They have and will continue to do good work, which I appreciate.

Sunshine was never free, firewater was, they are completely different methods and aren't even related. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The only reason I agree with them charging $25 per device is to keep sunshine up to date throughout the life of the device. If you had a samsung s4 or s3 and received a warranty replacement from a phone that was unlocked to a new one, the new phone would be locked with no exploit. Wouldn't you rather know that the phone you're receiving can still be unlocked? I think so. Makes me much less concerned about exchanging my phone if I need to.

Even $25 isn't too much for a college student. Save a dollar a day, or don't drink coffee or tea for a week. I've never met a college student who couldn't save $25 for something they really want.

Sunshine is great for what it does, firewater would be impossible for them to keep updated at this point anyway. There's a reason they developed sunshine's exploit over firewater's. It's a much better method.

Bootloader exploits are something special anyway. Gives you complete freedom to do anything you want, including the ability to permaroot the phone without an exploit. Samsung owners have to use exploits to root, and it sucks when Verizon patches those exploits. The bounty has to be restarted and paid all over again, and causes device fragmentation.

A bootloader unlock for all versions of a phone is great for the community, all roms will run great across all devices and the guides will all remain exactly the same. That alone is worth $25 to me.
Last edited by BadUsername; 12th August 2014 at 10:42 AM.
15th August 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #113  
Flag Olean
Thanks Meter: 118

595 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername

Sunshine was never free, firewater was, they are completely different methods and aren't even related. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The only reason I agree with them charging $25 per device is to keep sunshine up to date throughout the life of the device. If you had a samsung s4 or s3 and received a warranty replacement from a phone that was unlocked to a new one, the new phone would be locked with no exploit. Wouldn't you rather know that the phone you're receiving can still be unlocked? I think so. Makes me much less concerned about exchanging my phone if I need to.

Even $25 isn't too much for a college student. Save a dollar a day, or don't drink coffee or tea for a week. I've never met a college student who couldn't save $25 for something they really want.

Sunshine is great for what it does, firewater would be impossible for them to keep updated at this point anyway. There's a reason they developed sunshine's exploit over firewater's. It's a much better method.

Bootloader exploits are something special anyway. Gives you complete freedom to do anything you want, including the ability to permaroot the phone without an exploit. Samsung owners have to use exploits to root, and it sucks when Verizon patches those exploits. The bounty has to be restarted and paid all over again, and causes device fragmentation.

A bootloader unlock for all versions of a phone is great for the community, all roms will run great across all devices and the guides will all remain exactly the same. That alone is worth $25 to me.

I been trying to explain to him. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to the_rooter For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th September 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #114  
Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor
Flag Sequim WA
Thanks Meter: 8,580

4,026 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsteven77x

Ya but it a still a shame cause in general that's not how are community works (as far as charging for exploits). When someone tries to charge for a jailbreak the Apple community goes absolutely nuts.

IOS exploits are not uncommonly sold, but generally not used for public jailbreaks. The when public ones are sold, the uproar is because someone has STOLEN another developers work, not because someone who has invested years decided they want reimbursement for their costs. Construction works don't go around building garages for people, for free all day, why should we invest a lot of money and time to give unlocks away? Any idea how much time goes into these things? Way more than it would take to build the garage I want.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jcase For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th September 2014, 12:03 AM   |  #115  
Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo
Thanks Meter: 56,072

24,891 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase

IOS exploits are not uncommonly sold, but generally not used for public jailbreaks. The when public ones are sold, the uproar is because someone has STOLEN another developers work, not because someone who has invested years decided they want reimbursement for their costs. Construction works don't go around building garages for people, for free all day, why should we invest a lot of money and time to give unlocks away? Any idea how much time goes into these things? Way more than it would take to build the garage I want.

Its not often I agree with JCase, but I agree with Jcase!

Actually I usually agree with JCase...

But yeah, its software, its not open source, you have to pay for it. Just like you have to buy apps from play store. You also had to pay for the hardware.

You get free ROMS for free though!

Pay them the $25.00 and dont complain. Life would be hell (for me anyways) if there was no S-OFF.

Jcase, i appreciate the time you put into this because if you did not, I would have NOTHING to do.
Last edited by scrosler; 15th September 2014 at 12:06 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th September 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #116  
Thanks Meter: 1

30 posts
More
I know this is late in the game and completely personal opinion but for what it's worth Sunshine is the way to go.
It is completely worth the $25!!!
Spent a total of 6 hours trying to gain root and S-off last week using weaksauce, SuperSu,firewater, etc.and was going to give up when someone suggested using a different browser to download and use Sunshine.
Had Verizon HTC one m8 completely done within about 15 minutes.
It was so easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Siouxsie D For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th September 2014, 03:40 AM   |  #117  
Thanks Meter: 60

896 posts
More
It's time I eat my words, Sunshine is worth every penny.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread