Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Setup issue. Black home screen

OP santi.marro

14th September 2014, 04:29 AM   |  #51  
Thanks Meter: 4

90 posts
I'm pretty sure the black screen with Chromecast and your VGA converter is due to HDCP. It sounds backwards, but HDCP compliant actually will mean that it will not work for HDCP inputs like a Chromecast.
14th September 2014, 07:25 AM   |  #52  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoKeMaN

It sounds backwards, but HDCP compliant actually will mean that it will not work for HDCP inputs like a Chromecast.

That's possible too, though in the case of HDfury the converter itself is an HDCP-compatible display device so it shows picture.

Technically if the converter obeys HDCP rules it should turn off its analog outputs or down scale to SD when fed an HDCP protected source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YassinTP

The TV also has VGA input, so I connected the HDMI-VGA-converter to it and tried moving the running Chromecast from the TV's HDMI input to the converter's input - and as you can already guess, the TV showed a black screen.
Because I know that the TV as well as the converter support 1080p just fine (as well as all other forms of Full HD and normal HD input), I think it isn't a resolution-based issue but has to do with an incompatibility of the Chromecast with my specific HDMI-VGA-converter.

That's a possibility too. In theory, with Chromecast sending 1080p, you should either have picture or a scrambled digital mess from HDCP decryption failure.

Black screen alone, especially at the is resolution may be the converter saying "I'm not sure what to do with this." Maybe the converter doesn't know how to handle YCbCr input and only does RGB which would explain why computer output works.
16th September 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #53  
Thanks Meter: 1

23 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

That's possible too, though in the case of HDfury the converter itself is an HDCP-compatible display device so it shows picture.

Technically if the converter obeys HDCP rules it should turn off its analog outputs or down scale to SD when fed an HDCP protected source.

That's a possibility too. In theory, with Chromecast sending 1080p, you should either have picture or a scrambled digital mess from HDCP decryption failure.

Black screen alone, especially at the is resolution may be the converter saying "I'm not sure what to do with this." Maybe the converter doesn't know how to handle YCbCr input and only does RGB which would explain why computer output works.

Okay, the mailman just dropped off my new converter - which is actually working! Partially, at least.

The Chromecast's "home screen" displays fine, but looks a bit blurry. Casting YouTube from my Nexus 5 will either show the YouTube "app" correctly and display only a small part (I would say, about 1/10) of the video, or show only that part of the whole app. Casting my screen does only work in landscape mode, and also only that small part of the screen.

The projector's OSD now shows "640x480 @60,00 Hz". Attaching the Chromecast to my HP monitor does not work as the Chromecast decides on 1080p output at 30,00 Hz, which is not supported by the monitor.

Is there something I can do about this problem, maybe with a rooted Chromecast OS? Or is it telling me that it just won't work with my old projector?
16th September 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #54  
Recognized Contributor

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YassinTP

The projector's OSD now shows "640x480 @60,00 Hz". Attaching the Chromecast to my HP monitor does not work as the Chromecast decides on 1080p output at 30,00 Hz, which is not supported by the monitor.

Is there something I can do about this problem, maybe with a rooted Chromecast OS? Or is it telling me that it just won't work with my old projector?

Root currently won't help with resolution detection/selection.

Your image is blurry because each of those 640x480 pixels is being stretched to 3 pixels wide and 2.5 pixels tall.
This could be due to lack of HDCP, as downconverting to analog SD is an option when there's no HDCP negotiation.

What you probably need is either a converter that negotiates as HDCP-compliant and can set the EDID information like I mentioned earlier (HDfury3), or an inline device like Dr. HDMI* that can force specific EDIDs - that way Chromecast won't choose a stupid resolution.

Not sure how much more money you want to invest in this project though...

* No, I do not get paid by the HDfury folks - I just reference their products often because I have had good experience with them personally and in the case of Dr. HDMI, it's cheaper than similar products from Gefen and others.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th September 2014, 10:32 PM   |  #55  
Recognized Contributor

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Since I recently got one, some HDMI splitters will let you force EDID as well, so that might be a cheaper alternative than a full-fledged EDID configurator, assuming one of the modes work...

I bought this one and it supports
  • Read from Monitor 1
  • Read from Monitor 2
  • Full HD 1080p60 24bit 2D video 7.1 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 24 bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 36-bit 2D video 7.1 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 36-bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • 1080p30/1080i60/720p60 24bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • 1080p60 24-bit 3D video 2.0 audio
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th September 2014, 08:38 PM   |  #56  
Thanks Meter: 1

23 posts
More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Since I recently got one, some HDMI splitters will let you force EDID as well, so that might be a cheaper alternative than a full-fledged EDID configurator, assuming one of the modes work...

I bought this one and it supports

• Read from Monitor 1
  • Read from Monitor 2
  • Full HD 1080p60 24bit 2D video 7.1 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 24 bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 36-bit 2D video 7.1 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 36-bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • 1080p30/1080i60/720p60 24bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • 1080p60 24-bit 3D video 2.0 audio

I decided to get the Dr. HDMI EDID Manager you mentioned above. Had it delivered in the mail today - and it works! I am using "720p only" and the Chromecast displays perfectly on the projector. I actually have to use the new converter, which makes the whole project somewhat more expensive - the old one still stays black, so I will get rid of that one and use the newer one which is smaller anyway and has RCA audio output, so I can connect it directly to my stereo.

Thank you very much for your help!
19th September 2014, 10:36 PM   |  #57  
Recognized Contributor

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Glad to see you got it going!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread