Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,541 Members 54,251 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Gamepad Support on KitKat

Tip us?

uchihakurtz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Default [Q] Gamepad Support on KitKat

So, I have an iPega Bluetooth gamepad that worked fine during the day of 4.2.2-4.3 (on my Nexus 4) but after the KitKat update, it doesn't detect other buttons than the directional pad. Skip forward 3 months, I got my self a Nexus 7 FHD and definitely fell in love with the USB OTG support. Then, I had the idea of plugging my computer gamepad through the USB OTG and the same thing happened, only directional keys are detected.

Did KitKat break some gamepad support? How was playing games with gamepad before the KitKat update? Were you guys able to play games with PC gamepads?
Devices:
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (Current) Stock rooted love it!
Nexus 7 flo (Current) Paranoid Android + Franco Kernel
Nexus 4 mako sold
Galaxy Tab 2 70 handed down to my lil' bro
Galaxy Ace II sold
Motorola XT Fire sold
Galaxy Gio stolen

Stressed out? Get some laugh at 9GAG and enjoy life
The Following User Says Thank You to uchihakurtz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

haidernawaz99
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihakurtz View Post
So, I have an iPega Bluetooth gamepad that worked fine during the day of 4.2.2-4.3 (on my Nexus 4) but after the KitKat update, it doesn't detect other buttons than the directional pad. Skip forward 3 months, I got my self a Nexus 7 FHD and definitely fell in love with the USB OTG support. Then, I had the idea of plugging my computer gamepad through the USB OTG and the same thing happened, only directional keys are detected.

Did KitKat break some gamepad support? How was playing games with gamepad before the KitKat update? Were you guys able to play games with PC gamepads?
Hmm, maybe some incompatablity issues. Can you tell us the Gaming Pad Model, and did you use that "iPega" Bluetooth Gaming Pad?
And, do tell that is the iPega designed for phone/tablets only ....?

uchihakurtz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by haidernawaz99 View Post
Hmm, maybe some incompatablity issues. Can you tell us the Gaming Pad Model, and did you use that "iPega" Bluetooth Gaming Pad?
And, do tell that is the iPega designed for phone/tablets only ....?
Sorry for the late reply, night time. Yeah it's designed specifically for phones and tablets, not for PC. I forgot the model number, I'll check it out when I'm near a computer.

Yeah, before the KitKat update, I could play many games including Asphalt 8, MC 4, NOVA, etc using the Ipega pad but since the update, none works as explained.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Devices:
Nexus 4 mako sold
Galaxy Ace II sold
Motorola XT Fire sold
Galaxy Gio stolen

mdamaged
Old
Thanks Meter 932

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, night time. Yeah it's designed specifically for phones and tablets, not for PC. I forgot the model number, I'll check it out when I'm near a computer.

Yeah, before the KitKat update, I could play many games including Asphalt 8, MC 4, NOVA, etc using the Ipega pad but since the update, none works as explained.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
You might have to hack together a Vendor_*_Product_*.kl file for your device ID, here's an example of a kl file for xbox's controller. You can find the identifier and product on your system logs when the device plugged in. You may even be able to use an existing kl file, just rename it.
Kenneth, what is the frequency? Set a fire for a man, and he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will stay warm for the rest of his life.

The Following User Says Thank You to mdamaged For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

uchihakurtz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged View Post
You might have to hack together a Vendor_*_Product_*.kl file for your device ID, here's an example of a kl file for xbox's controller. You can find the identifier and product on your system logs when the device plugged in. You may even be able to use an existing kl file, just rename it.
That is really interesting, I'll go try it out. Thanks man!
Devices:
Nexus 4 mako sold
Galaxy Ace II sold
Motorola XT Fire sold
Galaxy Gio stolen

uchihakurtz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
So I read the link you attached and as suggested checked out what my USB Game Controller is via logcat and found out it's a "Dragon Rise USB gamepad". I Googled it and found the driver file from this thread (download link here). Extracted the zip file, moved the .kl file into /system/usr/keylayout, changed the permission to 644 (rw-r--r--) and restarted.

It doesn't work on other games than Asphalt 8 and The Amazing Spiderman 2 but at least I can play those two games now, so yeah...

[SPOILER][/SPOILER]

I haven't tried the Ipega controller yet but will do when I'm in the mood. Thanks again @mdamaged
Devices:
Nexus 4 mako sold
Galaxy Ace II sold
Motorola XT Fire sold
Galaxy Gio stolen

The Following User Says Thank You to uchihakurtz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gwaldo
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
So I read the link you attached and as suggested checked out what my USB Game Controller is via logcat and found out it's a "Dragon Rise USB gamepad". I Googled it and found the driver file from this thread (download link here). Extracted the zip file, moved the .kl file into /system/usr/keylayout, changed the permission to 644 (rw-r--r--) and restarted.

It doesn't work on other games than Asphalt 8 and The Amazing Spiderman 2 but at least I can play those two games now, so yeah...

[SPOILER][/SPOILER]

I haven't tried the Ipega controller yet but will do when I'm in the mood. Thanks again @mdamaged
There should be an app that spoofs a controller(from many popular ones) then you map buttons/keys/sticks to it.. ie to fix gameloft no mapping options

uchihakurtz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaldo View Post
There should be an app that spoofs a controller(from many popular ones) then you map buttons/keys/sticks to it.. ie to fix gameloft no mapping options
Yeah there are apps like that such as Tincore Keymapper but the interface is really confusing, I haven't found a user friendly app for that :\
Devices:
Nexus 4 mako sold
Galaxy Ace II sold
Motorola XT Fire sold
Galaxy Gio stolen

gwaldo
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Yeah there are apps like that such as Tincore Keymapper but the interface is really confusing, I haven't found a user friendly app for that :\
Confusing is an understatement lol
I've contacted tincore devs asked them the same question.. no reply..
2014 and no button mapping on mobile games?? oh well.. maybe 2015

Tags
android, gamepad, games, kitkat