Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,477 Members 40,560 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 first generation thinks headphones are plugged in.

Tip us?

vext01
Old
(Last edited by vext01; 11th May 2014 at 08:20 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down Nexus 7 first generation thinks headphones are plugged in.

Hi,

I bought a second hand first generation nexus 7. Sound from the speakers was working fine, however, one channel of the headphone output was initially broken. To fix this I bought a replacement charger/audio flex and fitted it, and this is where the fun begins.

Headphone out works. The problem is, the speaker audio occasionally drops out, sometimes returning after a while. Having checked the speaker connection, I therorised that perhaps the nexus was thinking that the headphones were plugged in. To confirm this, I installed an app which displays a notification when the headphones are connected. Indeed, when the sound drops out, the tablet thinks the headphones are connected yet they are not. I stuck electrical tape over the edge of the speakers as shown in some youtube videos (the plastic can erode and short out on the case), but this did not fix the issue. I also note that the speaker output is fine if you disconnect the charging/headphone flex.

Having concluded that the replacement flex was broken, I sent it back and ordered a replacement. I put it in and... the same again?!? I can't believe it.

Here is the part I am using: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1412166686...84.m1439.l2649

Is that correct?

Attached is a picture of the original part and the new part side by side. The top one is the original. They are identical in size, but some components differ slightly, e.g. the usb socket and the markings on the flex (e219454 vs. e219454GF).

Anyone know what is going on here? Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n7-flex.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	2735899  

vext01
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
For the record, I tried fiddling with the edge connector pins (the ones exposed on the outside of the side of the case) just in case they were not making good contact and shorting something. No joy...

DanB85
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same issue on my 1st gen Nexus 7 after replacing the same I/o assembly. Were you ever able to find a fix?

Thanks in advance

sayo9394
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Same issue here, any solutions?

Phone History:
HTC G1 --> HTC Desire HD --> Huawei Ideos U8150 --> Samsng Galaxy SII I9100.