Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,758 Members 46,340 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Recovery] [RUU 2.22.531.6] [TWRP Nandroid Backups] [Radio IMGs][ OTA 2.22.531.6]

Tip us?

gamblor01
Old
(Last edited by gamblor01; Yesterday at 04:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
I can't seem to get either RUU to run. I'm currently on 1.5.531.7 and trying to update to the latest 2.22.531.6. Obviously, I'm rooted and s-off. I'm still on the stock ROM, I just made some manual modifications (remove the sound from the bootanimation, deleted a bunch of bloat/logging/etc.).

I run Linux as my daily OS so I'm not sure what is wrong with the Win7 setup. I never really use it. Here is what I did:

1. Installed HTC Sync Manager on Windows, and then immediately uninstalled it (but left the HTC USB driver manager installed so that I have the USB drivers).

2. Downloaded the SDK for Windows (and put the directory in my PATH variable so I can run commands from anywhere in the CMD prompt)

3. Ran fastboot oem lock to relock my bootloader (and confirmed it shows as relocked when I reboot)

4. Enabled USB debugging and verified that fast boot option in power settings is not checked

5. Booted into fastboot USB

6. Right-click and run the ruu.exe as administrator

7. Tell Windows to go ahead and run the program as administrator, click Next in the installshield, click radio button to agree to license and hit Next button.

At this point, the RUU just seems to crash. Nothing happens, Windows doesn't even tell me that the program crashed, but it seems to disappear from task manager. Just nothing going on. I also tried the 2.22.531.5 RUU and I get the same behavior...it just crashes.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? I just want to get the update to 2.22.531.6 and figured the RUU was the easiest option. Once running that I'll just unlock the bootloader again, flash SuperSU from recovery, and make a few mods again.

If running the RUU isn't the best option, can I just download the 2.22.531.6 nandroid backup and restore it via recovery? I feel like that might put the phone in a "dirty" state though, and would like to flash from a clean slate. Any suggestions?

Garmig
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 875

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor01 View Post
I can't seem to get either RUU to run. I'm currently on 1.5.531.7 and trying to update to the latest 2.22.531.6. Obviously, I'm rooted and s-off. I'm still on the stock ROM, I just made some manual modifications (remove the sound from the bootanimation, deleted a bunch of bloat/logging/etc.).

I run Linux as my daily OS so I'm not sure what is wrong with the Win7 setup. I never really use it. Here is what I did:

1. Installed HTC Sync Manager on Windows, and then immediately uninstalled it (but left the HTC USB driver manager installed so that I have the USB drivers).

2. Downloaded the SDK for Windows (and put the directory in my PATH variable so I can run commands from anywhere in the CMD prompt)

3. Ran fastboot oem lock to relock my bootloader (and confirmed it shows as relocked when I reboot)

4. Enabled USB debugging and verified that fast boot option in power settings is not checked

5. Booted into fastboot USB

6. Right-click and run the ruu.exe as administrator

7. Tell Windows to go ahead and run the program as administrator, click Next in the installshield, click radio button to agree to license and hit Next button.

At this point, the RUU just seems to crash. Nothing happens, Windows doesn't even tell me that the program crashed, but it seems to disappear from task manager. Just nothing going on. I also tried the 2.22.531.5 RUU and I get the same behavior...it just crashes.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? I just want to get the update to 2.22.531.6 and figured the RUU was the easiest option. Once running that I'll just unlock the bootloader again, flash SuperSU from recovery, and make a few mods again.

If running the RUU isn't the best option, can I just download the 2.22.531.6 nandroid backup and restore it via recovery? I feel like that might put the phone in a "dirty" state though, and would like to flash from a clean slate. Any suggestions?
There are some answers already in this thread for your issue, you just need to search. Sorry I'm at work right now.
Also, you can use the 1.57.531.7 backup and recovery posted in OP and download the OTA by going to Settings-About-Software update.

Cheers!
Don't make a post to say thanks, just click the button in the bottom left.

gamblor01
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmig View Post
There are some answers already in this thread for your issue, you just need to search. Sorry I'm at work right now.
Also, you can use the 1.57.531.7 backup and recovery posted in OP and download the OTA by going to Settings-About-Software update.

Cheers!
Hmm...well I read through quite a bit of stuff in this thread but I still don't know exactly what to do. Got any suggestions for a search term? I'll go read but I don't even know what to search for. So far my attempts have been fruitless.

Note -- I'm not looking to return this thing to stock to send it in for repairs or anything. My phone works fine, I just want to get the latest version on here and continue to roll with root/s-off. I don't know if that makes any difference or not...just pointing that out.

If I flash back to the 1.57.531.7 as suggested and then run the OTA, will my phone still be s-off? If so I'll just do that. Then after the update I guess I would just flash TWRP and then SuperSU and be back in business?

Garmig
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 875

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hmm...well I read through quite a bit of stuff in this thread but I still don't know exactly what to do. Got any suggestions for a search term? I'll go read but I don't even know what to search for. So far my attempts have been fruitless.

Note -- I'm not looking to return this thing to stock to send it in for repairs or anything. My phone works fine, I just want to get the latest version on here and continue to roll with root/s-off. I don't know if that makes any difference or not...just pointing that out.

If I flash back to the 1.57.531.7 as suggested and then run the OTA, will my phone still be s-off? If so I'll just do that. Then after the update I guess I would just flash TWRP and then SuperSU and be back in business?
Yeah, you won't lose S-OFF if you update via OTA. You can root your ROM via twrp after the update.

Note: search for this: Windows redistributable
Don't make a post to say thanks, just click the button in the bottom left.

Galaxysm
Old
Thanks Meter 563
Haven't used my HTC in awhile I'm rooted and soff running aosp 4.4.4 ROM...I know there's a new update. But can I just flash the new radio on 4.4.4 ROM?
Current Device:LG G3 (T-Mobile) Rooted.(Stock)
Current Device:Nexus 5 Rooted-PA ROM.
History Of Phones...
HTC One M8.(T-Mobile) (SOLD
Galaxy Note 2 (T-Mobile) Rooted.(SOLD)
Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) Rooted.
ZTE Warp (Boost Mobile)-Rooted.
Htc Inspire(AT&T)-Rooted/S-Off.
Optimus Elite(Virgin Mobile)-Rooted.
Htc Amaze 4G(T-Mobile)-Rooted.-SOLD.
Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013) model 32GB.

gamblor01
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmig View Post
Yeah, you won't lose S-OFF if you update via OTA. You can root your ROM via twrp after the update.

Note: search for this: Windows redistributable
Awesome thanks man. Guess it's the runtime crap that I need to install. Unfortunately my wife and daughter are sleeping in my room (where my desktop is), and all I have is Ubuntu on my laptop here. I'll just forget about the RUU method and flash stock recovery from my laptop, then run the OTA, and re-root after that is done. If I have any problems will that process I'll search and then post if I can't figure it out. Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to gamblor01 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FreydNot
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
This happened to me on my older laptop. I moved to my more modern desktop and all worked well. I figured it was caused to low free RAM, but really it could have been anything. Just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one.

gamblor01
Old
(Last edited by gamblor01; Today at 03:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreydNot View Post
This happened to me on my older laptop. I moved to my more modern desktop and all worked well. I figured it was caused to low free RAM, but really it could have been anything. Just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one.
Thanks for the info. It's a pretty beefy machine so I doubt that is the issue (Haswell i5, 8GB of 1866 DDR3, etc.). I think I'm just missing some of the visual C++ runtimes.

The OTA gave me a big red triangle while running and I couldn't even power down my phone. I plugged in the USB cable and that seemed to magically cause it boot (oddly enough). I'm back up and running but I think it failed because I didn't reinstall ALL /system apps that I removed. I was trying to shortcut things and not have to reinstall stuff (even though the HTC backup will put most things back). Guess I'll just flash the stock nandroid via recovery and run the OTA from there. Oh well.

Tags
htconem8, recovery, tmobile