Sprint Galaxy Nexus (toroplus)

Nexus 10 Manta Jpgs

The Following User Says Thank You to makers_mark For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2014, 12:57 PM   |  #23  
Recognized Developer
Flag -∇ϕ
Thanks Meter: 1,807

1,352 posts
@makers_mark : Hi, we found something called Qmage. Apparently all images in Samsung 4.4.4+ firmware are in this proprietary qmg format, so no more PNGs.
They mention RGB565 and we're wondering if this is the same stuff as you've been working with?
If so, perhaps your tool can be extended to deal with these?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E:V:A For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2014, 01:22 PM   |  #24  
OP Member
Flag Kings Mountain
Thanks Meter: 146

98 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by E:V:A

@makers_mark : Hi, we found something called Qmage. Apparently all images in Samsung 4.4.4+ firmware are in this proprietary qmg format, so no more PNGs.
They mention RGB565 and we're wondering if this is the same stuff as you've been working with?
If so, perhaps your tool can be extended to deal with these?

Thanks, that is very interesting. I've looked at qmgs before, and can see a repetition pattern in them, but the compression was unintelligible. I will definitely take another look at them though!
[edit]
I've never seen rgb5658. That is something, I'll have to keep an eye out for. That extra byte means so much when you're looking for an image encoding, especially with rgb565, as it is hard as hell to interperet two plain bytes as pixel data when you look at a whole image. ARGB8888 provides you with a static barrier of 1's between pixels (usually, unless the image actually takes advantage of the alpha channel)

I'll get back with you, with this new found knowledge, thanks again!
Last edited by makers_mark; 20th September 2014 at 01:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to makers_mark For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st September 2014, 11:32 PM   |  #25  
Recognized Developer
Flag -∇ϕ
Thanks Meter: 1,807

1,352 posts
Just for thread completion, alireza7991 also has some png2rle in his GitHub.
The Following User Says Thank You to E:V:A For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd September 2014, 03:42 AM   |  #26  
OP Member
Flag Kings Mountain
Thanks Meter: 146

98 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by E:V:A

Just for thread completion, alireza7991 also has some png2rle in his GitHub.

I am all for thread completion and internet history, and think that it is vital (among lots of other things) as to trying to stay advanced with technology and also with perceived avenues of future technology.

I have to say though, that I have seen the source, and the thread. It involves the same two programs I gave credit to in the OP, but is sans credit. That's okay with me, as long as everyone else is okay as well, but the important thing to note is that, it only involves the run length encoding of rgb565; two byte count, two byte color. And if that is all you are focused on, you may as well call it a file extension. But, my thread is more about the concept of run length encoding. It is not an extension to me and I've seen different variations that make it a compression method, and not your typical file type. Since I wrote the original post, I've actually seen some kernel source that uses the 4 byte method.Here is one example But I still haven't found any kernel code utilizing the 1 byte count 3 byte color that is used in the Nexus 5 bootloader.

I am trying to infer that what they use in the bootloader may potentially be used in kernels, somewhere down the road. I don't know and don't care, but I can't go wrong in documenting and making a conversion tool, just in case.

I know you are not talking directly to me, but I am on the same page as you, and believe that all things should be documented. And I think that your drive is the same as mine.
Last edited by makers_mark; 22nd September 2014 at 03:45 AM. Reason: spellcheck and spacing
The Following User Says Thank You to makers_mark For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
google splash bootloader nexus rle
Previous Thread Next Thread