[Q] Insufficient Storage Available problem

OP bluesmantj

23rd April 2014, 10:41 PM   |  #11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmantj

Sorry this took forever for me to get around to, just been short on time recently thanks again for the help!

Ok factory reset from phone complete.
into recovery
wipe dalvik
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache
wipe dalvik again (just for good measure)

install cm11
install gapps... I'll report back as issues come around.

Well... Everything looked nice and fresh on the first go... Then one app hung on install, so I restarted the phone. When I did my old wallpaper returned, so I quickly went to check the gallery and look for the photos that should have been erased in the factory wipe... But they are all still there like nothing happened.

So even though it's currently installing apps... I have zero faith that I get through all of them before I run out of usable space again.
24th April 2014, 01:03 AM   |  #12  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,328

8,060 posts
More
Quote:

Well... Everything looked nice and fresh on the first go... Then one app hung on install, so I restarted the phone. When I did my old wallpaper returned, so I quickly went to check the gallery and look for the photos that should have been erased in the factory wipe... But they are all still there like nothing happened.

So even though it's currently installing apps... I have zero faith that I get through all of them before I run out of usable space again.

You didn't run the commands I asked you to after the factory reset and reboot.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
24th April 2014, 05:51 PM   |  #13  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny4579

You didn't run the commands I asked you to after the factory reset and reboot.

Riiiight... those commands.... guess I just read that wrong sorry.

Right now I have
/data size 748M Used 625.2M Free 122.9M
/data/data size 149M Used 103.4M Free 45.6M

This is after all the apps restored themselves... this time though I did manage to get G+ and Facebook up, but I havent' logged into all the apps yet, so I'm assuming they stay at base size until log in (such as maps, netflix, hbogo, etc...). I did a couple things different, I am no longer syncing all the contacts from my 3 google accounts, and I eliminated an app that I probably won't use as much anymore.

I don't have time again right now to re-wipe the phone but I'll try that right after a wipe in the next couple days. Just so I don't mess up again, I should factory wipe, cache wipe, dalvik wipe, install cm11 and gapps, but then as soon as terminal emulator loads back up run those commands to see if it actually cleared things, or should I stop all the restore from google and pull only terminal emulator for this? What's going to be the most diagnostic?

Do you think switching from clockwork recovery to TWRP make a difference? Do you have a preference in one over the other?
25th April 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #14  
Recognized Developer

8,060 posts
More
Quote:

Riiiight... those commands.... guess I just read that wrong sorry.

Right now I have
/data size 748M Used 625.2M Free 122.9M
/data/data size 149M Used 103.4M Free 45.6M

This is after all the apps restored themselves... this time though I did manage to get G+ and Facebook up, but I havent' logged into all the apps yet, so I'm assuming they stay at base size until log in (such as maps, netflix, hbogo, etc...). I did a couple things different, I am no longer syncing all the contacts from my 3 google accounts, and I eliminated an app that I probably won't use as much anymore.

I don't have time again right now to re-wipe the phone but I'll try that right after a wipe in the next couple days. Just so I don't mess up again, I should factory wipe, cache wipe, dalvik wipe, install cm11 and gapps, but then as soon as terminal emulator loads back up run those commands to see if it actually cleared things, or should I stop all the restore from google and pull only terminal emulator for this? What's going to be the most diagnostic?

Do you think switching from clockwork recovery to TWRP make a difference? Do you have a preference in one over the other?

If you're worried about that time to restore after a wipe you can take a backup and wipe and run those commands from terminal emulator before signing into google. Then after getting the needed info restore your backup.

Clockwork vs TWRP comes down to personal preference. They both implement the same recovery commands and probably also use the same exact wipe commands internally. So there's no real difference other than ui. TWRP has had some funky builds on the inc though so I recommend clockworkmod for the Inc.

Fyi factory reset clears dalvik and cache too so no need to do those separately.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
28th April 2014, 01:37 PM   |  #15  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:

If you're worried about that time to restore after a wipe you can take a backup and wipe and run those commands from terminal emulator before signing into google. Then after getting the needed info restore your backup.

Clockwork vs TWRP comes down to personal preference. They both implement the same recovery commands and probably also use the same exact wipe commands internally. So there's no real difference other than ui. TWRP has had some funky builds on the inc though so I recommend clockworkmod for the Inc.

Fyi factory reset clears dalvik and cache too so no need to do those separately.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Oh cool, never thought of that, I've only ever upgraded as a result of running out of space or things slowing down so I've never really wanted to back up and restore those before.

Right... So factory wipe
install cm11/gapps
only terminal emulator installed...

/data size 748M Used 109.8M Free 638.2M
/data/data size 149M Used 29.3M Free 119.7M

Although this is a huge decrease...
connecting as USB shows that basically all of the files on the phone itself remain, so the factory reset essentially doesn't wipe any of the data from the phone?????

Thanks again!
28th April 2014, 02:44 PM   |  #16  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
When I did the restore, it brought back things for me, but caused a severe amount of instability and everything force quit on me. lost my launchers can't get to apps... and it keeps auto quitting google media services every 5 seconds... not sure if this is indicative of a different problem or just how precarious everything is on my device. Anyway, factory reset, and now back to the google restore...

Oh... a couple more questions.

1) when I factory restore this way it should wipe out other data like my set up wifi networks? (it doesn't)
2) what about other app data? things like my sonos app after the factor reset didn't even need to be set up again... I find this odd
Last edited by bluesmantj; 28th April 2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: new information added
29th April 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #17  
Recognized Developer

8,060 posts
More
Quote:

When I did the restore, it brought back things for me, but caused a severe amount of instability and everything force quit on me. lost my launchers can't get to apps... and it keeps auto quitting google media services every 5 seconds... not sure if this is indicative of a different problem or just how precarious everything is on my device. Anyway, factory reset, and now back to the google restore...

Oh... a couple more questions.

1) when I factory restore this way it should wipe out other data like my set up wifi networks? (it doesn't)
2) what about other app data? things like my sonos app after the factor reset didn't even need to be set up again... I find this odd

If you factory reset, you should have zero apps aside from the apps built into the Rom and gapps and all your settings reset. If that's not that case something is wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to tiny4579 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2014, 11:27 PM   |  #18  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:

If you factory reset, you should have zero apps aside from the apps built into the Rom and gapps and all your settings reset. If that's not that case something is wrong.

Well.. that's good to know, looks like I won't be able to just factory reset and pass the phone along when I'm done with it... Gonna have to take a hammer and giant magnet to it! Did the memory look better on the reset though?
5th May 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #19  
Flag Mooresville
Thanks Meter: 998

3,569 posts
More
Quote:

Well.. that's good to know, looks like I won't be able to just factory reset and pass the phone along when I'm done with it... Gonna have to take a hammer and giant magnet to it! Did the memory look better on the reset though?

putting a magnet to a piece of flash storage does not destroy it, also from that used info it looks like it is just the data from the gapps... Try going into recovery and doing an advanced wipe, then checking everything but external sd and swiping to wipe
23rd September 2014, 06:53 PM   |  #20  

3 posts
So it seems like we never really came to a solution here.

Has anyone tried increasing the sizes of these partitions. The /data/data only being 150mb is really limiting. Facebook likes to take 50mbs on it's own. I wondered if it would be possible to increase the storage of the internal partition and that /data/data folder. For most of us the purchasing of a large SD card for storing music and pictures and stuff is no big deal, if I could devote more of the internal storage to applications that would be awesome.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread