Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Tutorial on how to make dock for Sony Xperia ZR and other Xperias at home (DIY)

OP dr_vishal

2nd March 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #11  
Flag France
Thanks Meter: 95

129 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl John

Thanks buddy!!
I will post some pictures of my own D.I.Y. dock when it's done
How about the charging speed of yours? Is it fast enough? Others in this thread had experienced very slow charging speed. I wonder what caused it. Perhaps, the type of wire they used. So I guess I need to look for good wires suitable for fast charging as well. Any suggestion?

Concerning charging speed, it's a boring problem for me.
At the beggining, my ZR charge well but slowly. If I go to bed and connect the ZR at the dock with less than 20%, the tomorow morning, the ZR wasn't completly charged ( around 90%) after 6-7 hours.
And since a moment, my ZR don't want to charge. I put it on the dock, the led light up but it don't charge, it's discharge ! Or sometimes it charge about 1% per 30 minutes, so currently I let my dock in the drawer...
I don't know from where comes the problem. I've exactly the same electric values as a friend's official Z dock (4,86V and 1650mA for me) but the ZR don't charge. My electric circuit is good as well. Electric contacts seem good.
2nd March 2014, 10:45 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
perhaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by molly.man

Concerning charging speed, it's a boring problem for me.
At the beggining, my ZR charge well but slowly. If I go to bed and connect the ZR at the dock with less than 20%, the tomorow morning, the ZR wasn't completly charged ( around 90%) after 6-7 hours.
And since a moment, my ZR don't want to charge. I put it on the dock, the led light up but it don't charge, it's discharge ! Or sometimes it charge about 1% per 30 minutes, so currently I let my dock in the drawer...
I don't know from where comes the problem. I've exactly the same electric values as a friend's official Z dock (4,86V and 1650mA for me) but the ZR don't charge. My electric circuit is good as well. Electric contacts seem good.

That sounds strange. Are you using the original charger unit that came with your phone? How about charging via micro usb directly to the phone, does it still work?
I really think that there must be a specific type of wire that should be used for fast charging.
Also, try to double check the in wires of your dock. There could be short circuit happening inside or maybe the wire itself is nearly, completely cut.
2nd March 2014, 11:56 AM   |  #13  
Flag France

129 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl John

That sounds strange. Are you using the original charger unit that came with your phone? How about charging via micro usb directly to the phone, does it still work?
I really think that there must be a specific type of wire that should be used for fast charging.
Also, try to double check the in wires of your dock. There could be short circuit happening inside or maybe the wire itself is nearly, completely cut.

Yes I use the official wall charger (EP880) designed for the ZR. With USB cable + wall charger my ZR charge fastly.
Concerning wires, it's not needed to use some specific ones. You just need to have the correct electric values at the dock pins. In my case it's good, I've the same power as on an official dock. You need to have same values as you measure with the wall charger, it's approximatly 5V and 1500mA. In my case I've 4,86V and 1650mA with the official wall charger and with my DIY dock.
There is no short circuit because I've the good values in the pins. Due to the conception of my dock I can check the electric values by return my dock when my ZR is in place into it. And all seems good... in theory ! x)

EDIT : I use CM11 Official. I think my problem is a software problem and not an material problem. Mabye with old nightlies dock charging works but with new nightlies there is a bug.
Last edited by Thibou; 4th March 2014 at 11:33 PM.
6th April 2014, 09:49 AM   |  #14  
Flag Yogyakarta
Thanks Meter: 13

52 posts
thanks for the tutorial! I'm planning to make one!
18th May 2014, 10:02 PM   |  #15  
Flag France

129 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi !
I have solved my problem of dock !
It's really weird but it was a problem of weldings not properly done. However, the current seems to pass but not charge.
Now I have +1% by 2 minutes of charge.
Last edited by Thibou; 18th May 2014 at 10:19 PM.
27th June 2014, 07:45 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
More
so this is mine.. made from audio cassette case, old siemens phone data cable and a lot of hot glue.. ^_^;
just until the cheap dock from ebay arrives..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dock1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	2820819   Click image for larger version

Name:	dock2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	2820820   Click image for larger version

Name:	dock3.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2820821  
19th July 2014, 07:14 AM   |  #17  

24 posts
Dude. The aftermarket dock is better than stock and costs 10 bucks on ebay shipping included. Buy that. Best tutorial.

Sent from my C5503 using XDA Free mobile app
23rd September 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #18  

12 posts
Hi, here's my version of a diy dock
Things needed,
1. Styrofoam /thermocol block
2. Kekda charger (that's what it's called in Mumbai)/ universal battery charger
3. USB cable
4. Sharp knife
5. Screw driver with a 4inch + shaft.
6. Heat.

Get hold of a Styrofoam /thermocol block cut to desired shape so as to fit your ZR and outer body. A 1 inch thickness on all walls is recommended.
Take the universal battery charger and remove the battery holder part having springness in it.
Take the screw driver and heat it and then cave in a slot for the Kekda charger in the back of the Styrofoam block by slowly melting ( Styrofoam shrinks in the presence of heat), else use a heated solder gun to cave in a slot.
Cut one end of USB to expose wires and solder on the Kekda charger part.
Red wire + on top of the charging pin and black - on lower.
After soldering press in the Kekda charger and adjust the pins accordingly.
Done.

http://instagram.com/p/tTMg4iIriD/
http://instagram.com/p/tTMeHoorh8/
http://instagram.com/p/tTMa1OIrh3/
http://instagram.com/p/tTMVc4Irhu/

Unable to upload pictures on xda.... Sorry

Sent from my C5502 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Sorry i forgot to show whats a Kekda charger

http://instagram.com/p/tTNGbLorjS/

Sent from my C5502 using xda app-developers app

The Following User Says Thank You to usbfreak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
diy, dock, sony xperia zr, xperia
Previous Thread Next Thread