[Q] Gamepad Support on KitKat

16th June 2014, 06:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Depok
Thanks Meter: 167

591 posts
More
So, I have an iPega Bluetooth gamepad that worked fine during the day of 4.2.2-4.3 (on my Nexus 4) but after the KitKat update, it doesn't detect other buttons than the directional pad. Skip forward 3 months, I got my self a Nexus 7 FHD and definitely fell in love with the USB OTG support. Then, I had the idea of plugging my computer gamepad through the USB OTG and the same thing happened, only directional keys are detected.

Did KitKat break some gamepad support? How was playing games with gamepad before the KitKat update? Were you guys able to play games with PC gamepads?
The Following User Says Thank You to uchihakurtz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihakurtz

So, I have an iPega Bluetooth gamepad that worked fine during the day of 4.2.2-4.3 (on my Nexus 4) but after the KitKat update, it doesn't detect other buttons than the directional pad. Skip forward 3 months, I got my self a Nexus 7 FHD and definitely fell in love with the USB OTG support. Then, I had the idea of plugging my computer gamepad through the USB OTG and the same thing happened, only directional keys are detected.

Did KitKat break some gamepad support? How was playing games with gamepad before the KitKat update? Were you guys able to play games with PC gamepads?

Hmm, maybe some incompatablity issues. Can you tell us the Gaming Pad Model, and did you use that "iPega" Bluetooth Gaming Pad?
And, do tell that is the iPega designed for phone/tablets only ....?
16th June 2014, 10:32 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Depok

591 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haidernawaz99

Hmm, maybe some incompatablity issues. Can you tell us the Gaming Pad Model, and did you use that "iPega" Bluetooth Gaming Pad?
And, do tell that is the iPega designed for phone/tablets only ....?

Sorry for the late reply, night time. Yeah it's designed specifically for phones and tablets, not for PC. I forgot the model number, I'll check it out when I'm near a computer.

Yeah, before the KitKat update, I could play many games including Asphalt 8, MC 4, NOVA, etc using the Ipega pad but since the update, none works as explained.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
16th June 2014, 10:43 PM   |  #4  
Flag South of Heaven
Thanks Meter: 947

1,496 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Sorry for the late reply, night time. Yeah it's designed specifically for phones and tablets, not for PC. I forgot the model number, I'll check it out when I'm near a computer.

Yeah, before the KitKat update, I could play many games including Asphalt 8, MC 4, NOVA, etc using the Ipega pad but since the update, none works as explained.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You might have to hack together a Vendor_*_Product_*.kl file for your device ID, here's an example of a kl file for xbox's controller. You can find the identifier and product on your system logs when the device plugged in. You may even be able to use an existing kl file, just rename it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mdamaged For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Depok

591 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged

You might have to hack together a Vendor_*_Product_*.kl file for your device ID, here's an example of a kl file for xbox's controller. You can find the identifier and product on your system logs when the device plugged in. You may even be able to use an existing kl file, just rename it.

That is really interesting, I'll go try it out. Thanks man!
17th June 2014, 02:47 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Depok

591 posts
More
Wink
So I read the link you attached and as suggested checked out what my USB Game Controller is via logcat and found out it's a "Dragon Rise USB gamepad". I Googled it and found the driver file from this thread (download link here). Extracted the zip file, moved the .kl file into /system/usr/keylayout, changed the permission to 644 (rw-r--r--) and restarted.

It doesn't work on other games than Asphalt 8 and The Amazing Spiderman 2 but at least I can play those two games now, so yeah...

[SPOILER][/SPOILER]

I haven't tried the Ipega controller yet but will do when I'm in the mood. Thanks again @mdamaged
The Following User Says Thank You to uchihakurtz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th September 2014, 11:29 PM   |  #7  
Flag Melb.
Thanks Meter: 13

256 posts
More
Quote:

So I read the link you attached and as suggested checked out what my USB Game Controller is via logcat and found out it's a "Dragon Rise USB gamepad". I Googled it and found the driver file from this thread (download link here). Extracted the zip file, moved the .kl file into /system/usr/keylayout, changed the permission to 644 (rw-r--r--) and restarted.

It doesn't work on other games than Asphalt 8 and The Amazing Spiderman 2 but at least I can play those two games now, so yeah...

[SPOILER][/SPOILER]

I haven't tried the Ipega controller yet but will do when I'm in the mood. Thanks again @mdamaged

There should be an app that spoofs a controller(from many popular ones) then you map buttons/keys/sticks to it.. ie to fix gameloft no mapping options
19th September 2014, 08:57 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Depok

591 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaldo

There should be an app that spoofs a controller(from many popular ones) then you map buttons/keys/sticks to it.. ie to fix gameloft no mapping options

Yeah there are apps like that such as Tincore Keymapper but the interface is really confusing, I haven't found a user friendly app for that :\
20th September 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #9  
Flag Melb.
Thanks Meter: 13

256 posts
More
Quote:

Yeah there are apps like that such as Tincore Keymapper but the interface is really confusing, I haven't found a user friendly app for that :\

Confusing is an understatement lol
I've contacted tincore devs asked them the same question.. no reply..
2014 and no button mapping on mobile games?? oh well.. maybe 2015
26th September 2014, 04:53 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Depok

591 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaldo

Confusing is an understatement lol
I've contacted tincore devs asked them the same question.. no reply..
2014 and no button mapping on mobile games?? oh well.. maybe 2015

Actually if you buy some good branded controllers, there are specific app for them that lets you do this. Even the SixAxis Controller thing can too, but nah, I don't feel like spending that much money on mobile gaming

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, gamepad, games, kitkat
Previous Thread Next Thread