If you recieved your Oppo Find 7 - share first impressions here

5th September 2014, 06:20 AM   |  #211  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
find 7
at 1st the phone was great for about 2 hours before i noticed one of the wrost QA on a device i have ever seen. out of the box is has a stuck/dead pixel. granted there are alot of positive stuff about the phone but the main thing, the screen, the thing you look and interact with has something like that right off the bat... makes me just want to throw this thing at the wall and kick myself for giving oppo my money for this device. i cant even resell it for half the money i paid for it! its been about a week now and i think im stuck with this device, as there is no resolution in sight.

when i contacted oppo they refused to sent me a test unit that works. and said that it doesnt effect "user experience" i guess at the end of the day i have myself to blame. i should of done more research in how shabby thier QA was. well fool my once shame on you fool me twice... na they wont get me twice. i doubt ill ever buy an oppo device again. i feel like despite all the good about the device buying one is like playing russian roulette. if you are lucky you might get a good one... but there are soo many folks i found who had issues with thier devices, that i cant help but feel bad for.

bottom line.. its a good phone. but the warranty is ****. and the company behind the phone isnt much help.
7th September 2014, 04:48 AM   |  #212  
Thanks Meter: 69

288 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddish2

at 1st the phone was great for about 2 hours before i noticed one of the wrost QA on a device i have ever seen. out of the box is has a stuck/dead pixel. granted there are alot of positive stuff about the phone but the main thing, the screen, the thing you look and interact with has something like that right off the bat... makes me just want to throw this thing at the wall and kick myself for giving oppo my money for this device. i cant even resell it for half the money i paid for it! its been about a week now and i think im stuck with this device, as there is no resolution in sight.

when i contacted oppo they refused to sent me a test unit that works. and said that it doesnt effect "user experience" i guess at the end of the day i have myself to blame. i should of done more research in how shabby thier QA was. well fool my once shame on you fool me twice... na they wont get me twice. i doubt ill ever buy an oppo device again. i feel like despite all the good about the device buying one is like playing russian roulette..

Exaggerate much?
One dead pixel isn't the 'wrost' QA on a device. Unfortunately, it happens. It's happened on tons of phones, TVs, monitors, and basically anything with an LCD display. Some companies will offer a replacement if there are more than x dead pixels on the device, but it varies.
Technically, they are correct that it doesn't affect the user experience, though that it is a rough way to address the issue. I don't see why you couldn't sell it for nearly what you paid for it, let alone half. Someone out there wouldn't mind a dead pixel as much as you. I just bought a Nexus 5 to replace my Find 7a (it's a great device, but too big for me) and I knew it was coming with a stuck pixel on the screen. I paid $10 less than the going rate for similar-condition devices because it's not that big of a deal. You can also look on the Play Store for a few free apps that may actually fix your dead pixel, which I will be trying once my N5 comes in.

Quote:

but there are soo many folks i found who had issues with thier devices, that i cant help but feel bad for.

No idea where you found so many people with issues. I've seen a small user base here and there, but that's to be expected. Most reviews I've seen have loved the phone, and only wish that OPPO was better about supporting their devices after release.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Hansen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th September 2014, 07:52 AM   |  #213  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen

Exaggerate much?
One dead pixel isn't the 'wrost' QA on a device. Unfortunately, it happens. It's happened on tons of phones, TVs, monitors, and basically anything with an LCD display. Some companies will offer a replacement if there are more than x dead pixels on the device, but it varies.
Technically, they are correct that it doesn't affect the user experience, though that it is a rough way to address the issue. I don't see why you couldn't sell it for nearly what you paid for it, let alone half. Someone out there wouldn't mind a dead pixel as much as you. I just bought a Nexus 5 to replace my Find 7a (it's a great device, but too big for me) and I knew it was coming with a stuck pixel on the screen. I paid $10 less than the going rate for similar-condition devices because it's not that big of a deal. You can also look on the Play Store for a few free apps that may actually fix your dead pixel, which I will be trying once my N5 comes in.

No idea where you found so many people with issues. I've seen a small user base here and there, but that's to be expected. Most reviews I've seen have loved the phone, and only wish that OPPO was better about supporting their devices after release.

geeze, sorry if i stepped on a fan boy nerve. this was a 1st impressions, and those are mine. yes there is a margin of fault with LCDs. but if you look at how many device are floating around... i can imagine its more then 8000 as my invoice was at 7800 something. and out of those devices the ammount of devices with issues that i see on the web is about average... you are right. but compared to what? samsung sells 100s of thousands of devices. with low manufacturing faults. oppo sells 10000 if we round up. and have the same faulty devices... the ratio in that case is horrible. which is what i was talking about. now its only again my impression. so take what i write with a grain of salt.

about selling a device, have you ever tried to sell anything faulty? and believe me 1 dead pixel is faulty in anyone's eyes, and they will always try to fleece you for as much as they can. maybe saying half is a bit extreme. but if i want to sell the device in a prompt manner, it sounds about right to me.
8th September 2014, 12:37 AM   |  #214  
Flag Dortmund
Thanks Meter: 6

36 posts
More
Hi everyone
Maybe you have read my posts and questions concerning this device I have recently posted to this thread.
I can tell you, that I really WANTED this phone and that I was willed to like and enjoy it!

I finally got a Find 7a from eBay for a very good price but I shipped it back after two days of usage because I couldn't live with the yellow tint at the bottom of the screen. It really disturbed me although it was only visible when the screen was showing something that was white or gray.
In my opinion it is a shame that they are able to design such a premium device (the rather loose hardware buttons and poor lighting of the capacitive keys left out) and then fail with ALMOST ALL of the displays so hard.

My impression after using it for about two days:

Gorgeous design, premium build quality except the hardware buttons as mentioned above. Capacitive buttons were poorly lighted and hardly visible under bright daylight, unfortunately.
I only did a few shots but the camera impressed me due to its speed and sharpness.
The phone operated fast as hell. ColorOS 2.0.1 lacks some features/settings here and there but I still enjoyed it for being different and much more innovative than many UIs out there! Good concept that needs some more love when it comes to the details - and KitKat, of course.
I felt that the battery life was not better than average but it should be alright with fast charging (which worked and was simply stunning, I will miss it).
The vibration intensity felt rather weak to me - maybe just a minor thing but it made the device feeling a little less premium for sure.

Conclusion: The faulty display was definitely the one and only dealbreaker for me. The buttons could have been better, as well as the vibration intensity and battery life. Software was not perfect yet but promising.
Everything else was absolutely top-notch - not to forget that this phone is almost a gift compared to other high-end devices!

Enjoy your Find 7s, I wish you good look with the software support! Hopefully you will get KitKat and further updates.
If they fix the display issue then I can imagine to buy one again because it is a strong device that does the important things right (if not better then some of its more expensive competitors) - otherwise I am out. It's a real bummer, OPPO. Stop wasting potential.

Cheers, Yakobus
10th September 2014, 08:49 PM   |  #215  
Thanks Meter: 69

288 posts
More
Quote:

geeze, sorry if i stepped on a fan boy nerve. this was a 1st impressions, and those are mine. yes there is a margin of fault with LCDs. but if you look at how many device are floating around... i can imagine its more then 8000 as my invoice was at 7800 something. and out of those devices the ammount of devices with issues that i see on the web is about average... you are right. but compared to what? samsung sells 100s of thousands of devices. with low manufacturing faults. oppo sells 10000 if we round up. and have the same faulty devices... the ratio in that case is horrible. which is what i was talking about. now its only again my impression. so take what i write with a grain of salt.

about selling a device, have you ever tried to sell anything faulty? and believe me 1 dead pixel is faulty in anyone's eyes, and they will always try to fleece you for as much as they can. maybe saying half is a bit extreme. but if i want to sell the device in a prompt manner, it sounds about right to me.

I'm hardly a fan boy... I bought the device a month ago and I'm already selling it. I was just pointing out how irrational some of your statements are. Sure, it sucks that it happened to you, but you're blowing things out of proportion. If I were you, I would persist on bugging OPPO about it, search the Play Store for the dead pixel-fixers, and if all else fails, sell it to somebody that doesn't think it's as big a deal as you.
As I said in my previous post, I just purchased a Nexus 5 with a dead pixel. The guy selling it was very up front about it, it doesn't bug me, and I got a decent deal on it, so I don't mind. I've sold TVs and monitors with dead pixels, and was the same way with my buyers. They knew what they were buying, and they didn't find have a problem with it. One of the TVs I sold had it fairly centered on the screen too.
I haven't seen many people with complaints about dead pixels, so I don't know where you're getting your numbers from. I've seen maybe a dozen people mention it, so out of those 8,000 devices, that's not a bad ratio, and rather acceptable by QA terms (less than .2% of your overall stock). And comparing to Samsung is a little hard to do in terms of dead pixels. AMOLED screens are much less likely to have this occur. Look at Apple, LG, etc. You'll see they have the same problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Hansen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th September 2014, 11:57 AM   |  #216  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 18

24 posts
Thumbs up nice phone, don't like Coloros but CyanogenMod is sweet
I won this find7 at xda:devcon yesterday
I've already given this feedback to oppo staffers here.
The hardware is nice, lovely display and nice fast CPU etc. Fast charge i've not tried yet (EU plug on charger) but I would have preferred a pair of microusbs rather than the wacky plug.
ColorOS well, sorry but it's a pain, I got CyanogenMod on.
Why was Coloros a pain:
MTP didn't work to Linux (CyanogenMod worked fine), they have some custom drivers for windows which is always alarm bells.
ADB didn't work (again fine on CyanogenMod so my host is fine)
The fonts are screwy - connectbot gets given a proportional font which is very screwy for a terminal.

Getting cyanogenmod: to work:
It was no easier than any other device.
Watch out for the key sequence for fastboot - it took me about half an hour before I got it.
You still need to download recovery builds from dodgy sites - why couldn't the standard recovery do backup?
remember the fastboot OEM unlock

Dave

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

I won this find7 at xda:devcon yesterday
I've already given this feedback to oppo staffers here.
The hardware is nice, lovely display and nice fast CPU etc. Fast charge i've not tried yet (EU plug on charger) but I would have preferred a pair of microusbs rather than the wacky plug.
ColorOS well, sorry but it's a pain, I got CyanogenMod on.
Why was Coloros a pain:
MTP didn't work to Linux (CyanogenMod worked fine), they have some custom drivers for windows which is always alarm bells.
ADB didn't work (again fine on CyanogenMod so my host is fine)
The fonts are screwy - connectbot gets given a proportional font which is very screwy for a terminal.

Getting cyanogenmod: to work:
It was no easier than any other device.
Watch out for the key sequence for fastboot - it took me about half an hour before I got it.
You still need to download recovery builds from dodgy sites - why couldn't the standard recovery do backup?
remember the fastboot OEM unlock

Dave
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread