Any current G3 owners try to drop the resolution to 1080p?

9th August 2014, 02:14 PM   |  #61  
Thanks Meter: 140

326 posts
It seems a lot of people have this all wrong. Reducing the resolution will not save you battery power. Nothing except 3D games are using even a fraction of the power of the GPU, indeed even a really old GPU will happily push the pixels around at QHD on a 2D accelerated interface using hardly any power at all.

It works just like a PC GPU, it wont throttle up unless the 3D hardware is needed, even a really old and low end GPU will happily let you use 2 full HD displays on a PC without even getting warm, its the same deal here.
10th August 2014, 09:07 AM   |  #62  
Thanks Meter: 12

60 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM75

It seems a lot of people have this all wrong. Reducing the resolution will not save you battery power. Nothing except 3D games are using even a fraction of the power of the GPU, indeed even a really old GPU will happily push the pixels around at QHD on a 2D accelerated interface using hardly any power at all.

It works just like a PC GPU, it wont throttle up unless the 3D hardware is needed, even a really old and low end GPU will happily let you use 2 full HD displays on a PC without even getting warm, its the same deal here.

But what about phone performance? Should be the phone less large?

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app
10th August 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #63  
Thanks Meter: 12

60 posts
Hello, maybe I'm stupid but even reading whole thread I not understood if such mod solve my problem, so I try to summarise.
The action to be performed is to put the resolution to 1080p and dpi to 530 using nomone.
The question is: does work LG home? Do work all LG apps?

12th August 2014, 03:09 AM   |  #64  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 85

1,034 posts
More
Setting 1080p with 530dpi as a global setting will make everything look huge and ugly. Might even screw up the alignment of some UI elements. I'm using 400dpi, nice and tidy.

Then theres the AppSettings from Xposed. As recommended by the good fellas here, I set to 530dpi + 75 font scale for LG apps. Works well.
However, my alarms don't sound anymore. My clock works, but when it supposed to wake me up, it force-closes and my LED cycles through all colors when my screen is on. Anyone has a solution for this? I can use a 3rd party alarm as the next resort though..

Ok, now to share my reason for being optimistic on 1080p setting. I'm using it primarily due to the keyboard ThumbKeyboard. This app has not been updated for 2K screen and the secondary characters are too tiny to be seen. I know.. there are many other keyboards but this one works best for me.
Another observation is that quickPic works faster now. I would assume this app has lesser pixels to process since it's a relatively graphic intensive app. Quickpic works fast on all other phones I tried, but it's slower on G3, possibly due to the pixels. Speed it what I expect from this resolution change. Don't keep your hopes up on battery.
26th September 2014, 08:32 PM   |  #65  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
downgrade needed
Any chance someone could do a mod to make the phone fully functional in 1080p? I want to sell my phone because of this, but also I don't think I will find any other phone than G2 to have such a rich user interface, and that one has no microsd slot or removable battery. I don't understand why they needed this phone to have this resolution. It's basically the same as 1080p on a phone, and I'm the kind of person who can easily distinguish 4x AA from 2x AA at 1080p in a game. This is a smaller difference than that, but a huge difference in performance and battery life.
The Following User Says Thank You to adrian07ch For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th September 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #66  
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian07ch

I don't understand why they needed this phone to have this resolution. It's basically the same as 1080p on a phone, and I'm the kind of person who can easily distinguish 4x AA from 2x AA at 1080p in a game. This is a smaller difference than that, but a huge difference in performance and battery life.

Totally agree on this. I will be super happy with my G3 if it has a 5.2" 1080p display same as G2.
And do you know they actually have a 5.2" 1080p version of G3 in Korea? Called "LG G3 A" released for one local carrier there.

I believe they use the 5.5" 2K display so that the spec looks awesome on marketing.
Also this may be the latest panel model from their LCD factory, so they need a flagship model to consume the production.
27th September 2014, 06:42 PM   |  #67  
Thanks Meter: 140

326 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FandangoL

But what about phone performance? Should be the phone less large?

It doesnt improve performance in 2D and only has a relatively small effect in 3D. Its not worth the effort doing this.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian07ch

Any chance someone could do a mod to make the phone fully functional in 1080p? I want to sell my phone because of this, but also I don't think I will find any other phone than G2 to have such a rich user interface, and that one has no microsd slot or removable battery. I don't understand why they needed this phone to have this resolution. It's basically the same as 1080p on a phone, and I'm the kind of person who can easily distinguish 4x AA from 2x AA at 1080p in a game. This is a smaller difference than that, but a huge difference in performance and battery life.

It DOESNT affect battery life AT ALL. It has virtually NO effect of 2D performance and not much of an effect in 3D. People just do not understand how the GPU on these phones works, or how incredibility easy 2K is for the GPU in 2D.
29th September 2014, 07:19 AM   |  #68  
Thanks Meter: 10

64 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM75

It doesnt improve performance in 2D and only has a relatively small effect in 3D. Its not worth the effort doing this.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

It DOESNT affect battery life AT ALL. It has virtually NO effect of 2D performance and not much of an effect in 3D. People just do not understand how the GPU on these phones works, or how incredibility easy 2K is for the GPU in 2D.

Well if you want to think that way, if you don't care about games, anything S3 or better is totally enough, perfectly smooth. Any recent 1080P device with even Snapdragon 400 is perfectly fine.

Yeah I've tried, on my qHD tablet, NoMone and the Terminal, and the UI still looks weird at times even at corresponding DPI. I haven't tried the 1200P/800P options during ROM install though. They may work better than the former two options.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread