[ROOT] Saferoot: VZW SCH-I435 (& others), no Kingo, will NOT trip KNOX (0x0)

31st August 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #131  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Custom rom?
Okay, maybe someone can help me here. I am totally new to this phone and the only custom rom I have installed is cyanogenmod on my s3. I have the sch-i435, and I don't care at all about my warantee. How can I get a custom recovery and cyanogen or something similar, if at all? I can't seem to find any documentation anywhere.
1st September 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #132  
OP Member
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 38

79 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JolkyB

Okay, maybe someone can help me here. I am totally new to this phone and the only custom rom I have installed is cyanogenmod on my s3. I have the sch-i435, and I don't care at all about my warantee. How can I get a custom recovery and cyanogen or something similar, if at all? I can't seem to find any documentation anywhere.

Unfortunately with Knox the boot loader is locked down and trying to install a custom recovery will hard brick the phone.

You'll want to research safestrap to see if you can use that. I'm not familiar with it at all so I can't offer any advice on it but that would allow you to load custom roms. Otherwise if you just want root look into towelroot over in the S5 forums, that should work for all Verizon Samsung phones.
1st September 2014, 04:06 PM   |  #133  
Thanks Meter: 76

193 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by postal302

Unfortunately with Knox the boot loader is locked down and trying to install a custom recovery will hard brick the phone.

Are you sure? As far as I know the KNOX boot loader will detect custom kernels or recoveries and trip the knox flag but not prevent you of installing any custom software ...
1st September 2014, 11:08 PM   |  #134  
Thanks Meter: 14

84 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mielletseed

Are you sure? As far as I know the KNOX boot loader will detect custom kernels or recoveries and trip the knox flag but not prevent you of installing any custom software ...

Correct!
1st September 2014, 11:37 PM   |  #135  
OP Member
Flag Seattle

79 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mielletseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by osvanberg

Correct!

If I understand right (and correct me if I'm wrong) safestrap operates like an app in Android instead of overwriting your existing operating system. At a certain point in boot up the safestrap "app" takes over then creates a complete operating environment inside of the safestrap program. At that point you "boot" into a safestrap compatable recovery which then loads a safestrap compatable ROM. This essentially hijacks the android boot up, runs a complete (safestrap compatable) recovery and ROM and never finishes loading your stock software. All your existing stock bootloader, recovery and ROM are left untouched and existing on your phone.
1st September 2014, 11:54 PM   |  #136  
OP Member
Flag Seattle

79 posts
More
Sorry, I just reread your question and realized I answered the wrong question. From what I understood, if the bootloader is locked a phone will get bricked by attempting to install a custom recovery. As far as I knew, phones loaded with Knox have a locked bootloader.

The i435 I have access to its my wife's so I don't get to play with it enough to know what works best.
2nd September 2014, 06:19 AM   |  #137  
Thanks Meter: 76

193 posts
If the bl was locked you would not need knox flag...
You can install any ROM or recovery but this will be detected and your phone gets marked "for ever"
17th September 2014, 09:24 PM   |  #138  
Flag Vilnius
Thanks Meter: 17

108 posts
More
I have i9195 with firmware i9195XXUBNB3. I had trouble with root. Saferoot said that that my device is not supported.

After some reading.
1. I flashed kernel from I9195XXUBMJ7 with ODIN.
2. Rooted with safe root.
3. Updated SuperSu.
4. Disabled KNOX with SuperSu.
5. Restored kernel from i9195XXUBNB3 with ODIN.

And now I have rooted UBNB3 firmware and knox still 0x0.
I guess that this method must work also with I9195XXUBML4 firmware. But in step 5 you need to flash kernel from I9195XXUBML4.
Last edited by tempazz; 17th September 2014 at 09:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tempazz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2014, 06:58 PM   |  #139  
Flag Porto Alegre
Thanks Meter: 4

48 posts
More
Thanks for the tip! Worked as expected.
30th September 2014, 12:13 PM   |  #140  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
inebdu continued
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempazz

I have i9195 with firmware i9195XXUBNB3. I had trouble with root. Saferoot said that that my device is not supported.

After some reading.
1. I flashed kernel from I9195XXUBMJ7 with ODIN.
2. Rooted with safe root.
3. Updated SuperSu.
4. Disabled KNOX with SuperSu.
5. Restored kernel from i9195XXUBNB3 with ODIN.

And now I have rooted UBNB3 firmware and knox still 0x0.
I guess that this method must work also with I9195XXUBML4 firmware. But in step 5 you need to flash kernel from I9195XXUBML4.

I have exactly the same problem. I would like to root my phone using saferoot or towelroot.
1. is it possible to flash the kernel only? if so where did you find the stock kernel files?
2. I have downloaded the I9195XXUBMJ7 and i9195XXUBNB3 firmware for my country from sammobile. Can i flash just the kernel from this? and how?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
no knox, root, sch-i435, without kingo
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Galaxy S 4 Mini General by ThreadRank