[MOD] Enable Phone Calling / Incoming & Outgoing free calls [Google Voice users]

Search This thread

jacksonj51

Oct 2, 2008
So-Cal
New N7 '13 owner and decided to mod the framework-res on the Nexus 7 to enable its voice capabilities. Never been happy downloading 3rd party apps such as Sendhub, grooveip, etc to make phone calls plus they have limitations on the number of minutes included.

I did a search to see if this has already been done but came up empty in any case sorry if this has been covered previously.

***This process takes a total of 5 minutes even though it looks longer!

This will enable incoming & outgoing calls for free. This will work only with a Google Voice account however. Steps below.

This is for KK 4.4.3 stock Rom's as tested, may work on other Rom's but understand this will flash a stock framework-res.apk onto your system. Anyone running Xposed may have issues as well but not sure. I have included a BTS (Back To Stock) zip which in case of bootloop or something wrong you can just flash it to get a completely stock framework back. If you have a different Rom then just replace the BTS zip with your framework-res.apk and it will flash it back to the way you had it... but make sure you backup YOUR framework-res.apk before you do this!

Ok now for the steps...

1) Go here and get yourself a free phone number CallCentric

1Small_zpsea73aa05.jpg~original

It will only allow for a NY number but who cares no one will ever see this number since it will be attached to your google voice. Fill in the new customers fields, confirm your email, then goto your dashboard and you should see the following:

2Small_zps90b40ed0.jpg~original

Only pay attention to the 2 things you need that are highlighted, write them down or keep this tab open as you will need those 2 numbers in a second.

2) Now flash the zip 'N7_WIFI_ENABLE-CALL.ZIP' After boot up hopefully everything is ok and you should now see the dialer/phone icon in your app drawer. Click on it and proceed to the next step.

3)Once in the phone app go into its settings then select call settings and then select Accounts. Upper right corner select Add account. This is where you will need 1 of those previous numbers from step 1. For username put in the number from your callcentric dashboard that starts with the 1777.... and for password use the password you use to sign into your callcentric account when you signed up. And for Server use callcentric.com then click save in the upper right. It will then try and register and once registered you will see 'Recieving calls'

4)Open up Google Voice on a web browser and go into its settings. Under the phone tab you will now 'Add another phone' name it whatever you want and then put in that other number from your callcentric dashboard. This is that free number from NY you got. Once you save that Google Voice will now attempt to call that number to confirm it. Your Tablet should now ring and you will answer it and type in the 2 digit code it asks for.

Congrats, your tablet now receives all incoming calls to your google voice number.

*To make outgoing calls 1 last step is needed.

5) Included in the zip supplied was the Voice+ apk. Install that as you would normally install an app. Open it up and select your google account that is attached to your google voice. Now checkmark the 'Outgoing call integration' then select 'Callback numbers' and drag your callcentric phone number to the top where it says visible numbers and all other numbers drag below into hidden numbers.

Now your N7 should be a fully functional telephone. Forgot to mention that calls will be made through loudspeaker though... have not tried heaphone calling or bluetooth.

Screenshot_2014-06-12-16-19-58Small_zpsa9bcb6d1.png~original
Screenshot_2014-06-12-16-20-24Small_zpse0c0be6c.png~original
kennySmall_zps82cd9bfa.jpg~original

*There are 2 flashable zips through recovery inside the attachment below and 1 apk to install

Attachments

• N7-2013-CALL_ENABLED.zip
    19.8 MB · Views: 833
Last edited:

nisk916

Nov 9, 2008
Tried this twice on stock rooted 4.4.2. Lost mobile data completely both times, but was able to receive/make calls over WiFi. When I say I lost mobile, I mean the option was wiped completely from my nexus like it was a WiFi only device. BTS file would not correct either. Glad I made a backup. Will be watching for further updates.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

maamdroid

Jun 6, 2013
I got it working on a rooted 4.4.3 stock flashable ROM using multiboot.

I must say, this works very well! Thanks for getting this working. It is quite amazing!

I tried it on 4.4.4 and did not have success, but I gave up quickly to try it on 4.4.3. I do have xposed on my 4.4.4 ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

maamdroid

Jun 6, 2013
I tried jdevils 4.4.4 ROM through multirom. Everything is working.

I flashed ROM and then booted into it. Setup my Google account and then rebooted back into recovery.

Then I flashed the zip and booted into system. Followed your setup and installed apk.

Everything works.

Jonnyredcorn

Nov 7, 2011
Southgate
Tried this twice on stock rooted 4.4.2. Lost mobile data completely both times, but was able to receive/make calls over WiFi. When I say I lost mobile, I mean the option was wiped completely from my nexus like it was a WiFi only device. BTS file would not correct either. Glad I made a backup. Will be watching for further updates.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Just guessing but this is probably only for the Nexus 7 "flo" which is the WiFi only model.

Sent from my Nexus 7 flo running slimKat powered by elementalX .

Nocturin

Oct 23, 2012
How would I change the outgoing call setting on an N5? I need to setup wifi calling of some sort but haven't been able to figure it out. Missed a couple job opportunities.

maamdroid

Jun 6, 2013
How would I change the outgoing call setting on an N5? I need to setup wifi calling of some sort but haven't been able to figure it out. Missed a couple job opportunities.

How would you miss calls with the outgoing call setting? Wouldn't a missed call be an incoming call? If you are looking for a job and need a reliable phone, you should just pop for a $45 straight talk sim for a month. It's a decent plan. unlimited talk/text and 3GB of LTE data.

Though, this topic is for the nexus 7. You may want to check the nexus 5 forum for information on this topic.

Best of luck with the job hunt.

Nocturin

Oct 23, 2012
How would you miss calls with the outgoing call setting? Wouldn't a missed call be an incoming call? If you are looking for a job and need a reliable phone, you should just pop for a $45 straight talk sim for a month. It's a decent plan. unlimited talk/text and 3GB of LTE data.

Though, this topic is for the nexus 7. You may want to check the nexus 5 forum for information on this topic.

Best of luck with the job hunt.

Thanks for the luck with the job hunt. Would you be willing to buy that 45$ sim for me? That's kinda the issue, person.... I can't afford a plan or even the cheapest solution that I've found, 5$ for 500 outgoing minutes, but can't even get that setup because the phone tries for the mobile operator even though it's in airplane mode.. Once upon a time I could use talk/ google voice. Can't do that now and hangouts doesn't have VOip on ze 'droid yet.

The best solution i've found is with a SIP provider, but that gives me only free incoming calls. It's decent and works through the stock dialer, I just for the life of me can't figure out how to get it to use it for outgoing calls too, even when selected as primary phone. I thought I could use google voice, like in the guide, but it didn't work. Missed opportunities due to the way that google voice worked and in conjunction with terrible cell phone service, missed a call today and didn't get the voicemail through google voice till 5:15pm. If anyone has a method for free outgoing calls too, i'd be stoked, haven't found one yet.

maamdroid

Jun 6, 2013
Sell your nexus 5 and get a cheaper phone and use the extra money to buy service.

Then get job and make money. Once you have that you can buy stuff you can afford and don't ask people to pay for your basic needs.

Problem solved...Take care of your basics before buying nice to have things.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

spartacus279

Jun 1, 2012
New York
Thanks for posting this, I would really like to try this but I was wondering if this would still work on CleanRom , I am also using a lot of xposed modules , would it still work or would I get a boot loop? Thanks

Jâgôôô

Jun 10, 2013
Innsbruck
guys i got a question..
Ehm google voice is only in USA and canada? or go this also in europe? (germany/austria)?

Thx for any Answer :)!

OK i got it now..but it don´t work on liquid smooth 4.4!

next days i will try it on a 4.3 rom!

Last edited:

graphdarnell

Jan 25, 2012
I wonder if there's anything that works beside CallCentric. The way it takes you on a meandering ride beginning with innocuous requests for personal information ("your real name, your real address, your .... And how about 911 calls? How about this and that...") before popping up the bait: "how about your credit card number?" Why, "due to abuses, we need to have it on file," so forth... Give me the creeps. Sorry OP, don't mean to appear I'm questioning your good intentions and help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New N7 '13 owner and decided to mod the framework-res on the Nexus 7 to enable its voice capabilities. Never been happy downloading 3rd party apps such as Sendhub, grooveip, etc to make phone calls plus they have limitations on the number of minutes included.

I did a search to see if this has already been done but came up empty in any case sorry if this has been covered previously.

***This process takes a total of 5 minutes even though it looks longer!

This will enable incoming & outgoing calls for free. This will work only with a Google Voice account however. Steps below.

This is for KK 4.4.3 stock Rom's as tested, may work on other Rom's but understand this will flash a stock framework-res.apk onto your system. Anyone running Xposed may have issues as well but not sure. I have included a BTS (Back To Stock) zip which in case of bootloop or something wrong you can just flash it to get a completely stock framework back. If you have a different Rom then just replace the BTS zip with your framework-res.apk and it will flash it back to the way you had it... but make sure you backup YOUR framework-res.apk before you do this!

Ok now for the steps...

1) Go here and get yourself a free phone number CallCentric

1Small_zpsea73aa05.jpg~original

It will only allow for a NY number but who cares no one will ever see this number since it will be attached to your google voice. Fill in the new customers fields, confirm your email, then goto your dashboard and you should see the following:

2Small_zps90b40ed0.jpg~original

Only pay attention to the 2 things you need that are highlighted, write them down or keep this tab open as you will need those 2 numbers in a second.

2) Now flash the zip 'N7_WIFI_ENABLE-CALL.ZIP' After boot up hopefully everything is ok and you should now see the dialer/phone icon in your app drawer. Click on it and proceed to the next step.

3)Once in the phone app go into its settings then select call settings and then select Accounts. Upper right corner select Add account. This is where you will need 1 of those previous numbers from step 1. For username put in the number from your callcentric dashboard that starts with the 1777.... and for password use the password you use to sign into your callcentric account when you signed up. And for Server use callcentric.com then click save in the upper right. It will then try and register and once registered you will see 'Recieving calls'

4)Open up Google Voice on a web browser and go into its settings. Under the phone tab you will now 'Add another phone' name it whatever you want and then put in that other number from your callcentric dashboard. This is that free number from NY you got. Once you save that Google Voice will now attempt to call that number to confirm it. Your Tablet should now ring and you will answer it and type in the 2 digit code it asks for.

Congrats, your tablet now receives all incoming calls to your google voice number.

*To make outgoing calls 1 last step is needed.

5) Included in the zip supplied was the Voice+ apk. Install that as you would normally install an app. Open it up and select your google account that is attached to your google voice. Now checkmark the 'Outgoing call integration' then select 'Callback numbers' and drag your callcentric phone number to the top where it says visible numbers and all other numbers drag below into hidden numbers.

Now your N7 should be a fully functional telephone. Forgot to mention that calls will be made through loudspeaker though... have not tried heaphone calling or bluetooth.

Screenshot_2014-06-12-16-19-58Small_zpsa9bcb6d1.png~original
    Screenshot_2014-06-12-16-20-24Small_zpse0c0be6c.png~original
    kennySmall_zps82cd9bfa.jpg~original

*There are 2 flashable zips through recovery inside the attachment below and 1 apk to install
    I use the app Talkatone, it has free Wi-Fi incoming and outgoing calls. Also free text messages.