16th July 2014, 07:51 AM   |  #32  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Dakota
Thanks Meter: 1,729

4,352 posts
Donate to Me
More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2817362

[HOW-TO] FireFireFire and TWRP on 6.3.3 WITHOUT A FACTORY CABLE!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th July 2014, 09:11 PM   |  #33  
Thanks Meter: 7

38 posts
Thumbs up This works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2817362

[HOW-TO] FireFireFire and TWRP on 6.3.3 WITHOUT A FACTORY CABLE!

I almost gave up hope on getting 6.3.3 KF rooted without having to order a factory cable and then saw this. This works great! Thanks!
30th July 2014, 11:05 AM   |  #34  
Flag Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 6

41 posts
More
Kindle Fire 6.3.3 Success with no Factory Cable
Many thanks to sd_shadow for the most excellent posts helping me to make things go relatively smoothly

Using these for guidance
  • [How To][Root] Kindle Fire 1 update 6.3.3 [2014]
  • [GUIDE] Downgrade stock 6.3.3 to rootable 6.3.2
  • Flashing FFF and TWRP without Fastboot Cable
were all HUGELY instrumental in getting me this far. I'm kinda dense so the videos in particular allowed me to proceed with much more confidence.

I'd like to try and take my success one step further by attempting OtterX ROM/TWRP/Bootloader [2014-05-08]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_po...ature=youtu.be
While using these locations for reference
Unfortunately I've hit a snag while following along VERY carefully step-b-step. After typing in my first command the result was different than seen on the example command prompt on screen. I posted a question there but am wondering where exactly would be the best place for people to reach out for assistance with this project.

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated, Thanks
30th July 2014, 03:35 PM   |  #35  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Dakota

4,352 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarino

Many thanks to sd_shadow for the most excellent posts helping me to make things go relatively smoothly

Using these for guidance

• [How To][Root] Kindle Fire 1 update 6.3.3 [2014]
  • [GUIDE] Downgrade stock 6.3.3 to rootable 6.3.2
  • Flashing FFF and TWRP without Fastboot Cable
were all HUGELY instrumental in getting me this far. I'm kinda dense so the videos in particular allowed me to proceed with much more confidence.

I'd like to try and take my success one step further by attempting OtterX ROM/TWRP/Bootloader [2014-05-08]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_po...ature=youtu.be
While using these locations for reference
Unfortunately I've hit a snag while following along VERY carefully step-b-step. After typing in my first command the result was different than seen on the example command prompt on screen. I posted a question there but am wondering where exactly would be the best place for people to reach out for assistance with this project.

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated, Thanks

This is official Q&A/T thread for OtterX Project Project OtterX: New Direction
Or you can start your own thread in Kindle Fire Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting
If your the one who posted Shell was $ not # , I replied that it means adb does not have root access, could be because kindle is not rooted.
enter command exit
enter command adb devices
should get something like 12345679 recovery
then try to push a file any file like a text file needs to be in same folder as adb, if name is test.txt
enter command adb push test.txt /sdcard
should say several things like sending and success
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th July 2014, 09:46 PM   |  #36  
Flag Brooklyn, NY

41 posts
More
Thanks a MILLION!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow

This is official Q&A/T thread for OtterX Project Project OtterX: New Direction
Or you can start your own thread in Kindle Fire Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting
If your the one who posted Shell was $ not # , I replied that it means adb does not have root access, could be because kindle is not rooted.
enter command exit
enter command adb devices
should get something like 12345679 recovery
then try to push a file any file like a text file needs to be in same folder as adb, if name is test.txt
enter command adb push test.txt /sdcard
should say several things like sending and success

I'm looking forward to following the suggestions offered and continuing this adventure.
1st August 2014, 03:27 PM   |  #37  
Flag Brooklyn, NY

41 posts
More
Unhappy Having trouble setting up for a custom ROM - OtterX
It was suggested I look into "Project OtterX" It looks REALLY exciting.

I am having trouble laying the foundation before I go forward. (Backing up my existing partitions) Otterx uses an improved partition space structure that I feel makes a lot of sense.

I'm getting an error message after typing in the first command so I'm stuck.

After entering the command "adb shell" I get the "~ # ←[6n prompt"
Then back to
INSTALLATION:
1. [OPTIONAL-RECOMMENDED] Make sure to backup your vital partitions via from recovery via adb like so:
Code: Select Code
adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0 of=/sdcard/boot0.bin" - it returned the following:
dd: can't open '/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0': No such file or directory

Further details from the Q&A Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=306
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=312

I'm feeling so lost and frustrated that I am considering moving forward without making those backups. But I do have serious doubts for success considering my failures thus far.

Any ideas on where I can read up more on this issue in order to make some progress?
1st October 2014, 12:03 PM   |  #38  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Success
Success rooting and updating my Kindle 1st Gen.

Tried KFU0.99 first, but it was unable to detect the kindle's status. Then I went down a bit of a rat hole installing the Google USB driver (via KFU), and separately the Amazon USB driver. The former is all that was needed. Windows probably needed to be rebooted (there was a lot of rebooting). Eventually adb just worked (hint: use "adb devices" to see if it is working), and I got fbmode installed and run. Then of course I wound up in fastboot mode -- which is a pretty funny name for a mode where the system appears to hang endlessly in the boot. I was fairly sure I'd borked it here ("fastboot devices" didn't work) but rebooting windows let the kindle boot all the way up. After I understood what fastboot mode was, then I got FFF and TWRP (2.2.2.1) installed, possibly by running my window in Admin mode. Then I needed to update TWRP to 2.8.0.2, but I couldn't figure out how to get back into fastboot mode -- until I discovered the FFF for a few moments while booting _IS_ in fastboot mode. So you just reboot and quickly issue your fastboot commands. Once done, I made backups and then installed cyanogenmod 11 and boy did that boot take a long time.

But now I'm up on a fancy new rom and things feel just as fast as the clunky amazon build.
1st October 2014, 03:36 PM   |  #39  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Dakota

4,352 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by inKRbl

Success rooting and updating my Kindle 1st Gen.

Tried KFU0.99 first, but it was unable to detect the kindle's status. Then I went down a bit of a rat hole installing the Google USB driver (via KFU), and separately the Amazon USB driver. The former is all that was needed.

you need the drivers from KFU to use fastboot mode , you likely just needed to reboot pc
Quote:

Windows probably needed to be rebooted (there was a lot of rebooting). Eventually adb just worked (hint: use "adb devices" to see if it is working), and I got fbmode installed and run. Then of course I wound up in fastboot mode -- which is a pretty funny name for a mode where the system appears to hang endlessly in the boot.

Fastboot mode was not created by amazon, it is standard for android devices, amazon just chose not to change the boot screen
Quote:

I was fairly sure I'd borked it here ("fastboot devices" didn't work) but rebooting windows let the kindle boot all the way up. After I understood what fastboot mode was, then I got FFF and TWRP (2.2.2.1) installed, possibly by running my window in Admin mode. Then I needed to update TWRP to 2.8.0.2, but I couldn't figure out how to get back into fastboot mode -- until I discovered the FFF for a few moments while booting _IS_ in fastboot mode. So you just reboot and quickly issue your fastboot commands.

I recommend powering off kindle, sending fastboot commands, then powering on device, so you don't miss the window.
but you can upgrade/downgrade twrp in twrp with the flashable TWRP zips in my Kindle Fire Flashable Recoveries/FFF TWRP/COTR/CWM[2014]

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread