Root cause for Gear 2 high battery consumption found, at least for non-Samsung phones

OP mpogr

12th August 2014, 01:05 PM   |  #111  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 53

182 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiu

I am using goproviders with the corresponding older version of GM just as you recommended. I think it works ok now. How often is 1:254? I don't know the original behaviour so I cannot calculate it.

It's hard to tell, because the frequency of the sync doesn't seem to be constant. It's probably about once in 1-2 hours.
12th August 2014, 01:10 PM   |  #112  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 3

50 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpogr

It's hard to tell, because the frequency of the sync doesn't seem to be constant. It's probably about once in 1-2 hours.

I see. Anyway thanks a lot for this fix. I was not using the watch anymore because of the battery issue. Now it is usable again. Really great work.
1st September 2014, 02:09 PM   |  #113  
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Found my root cause. Had over 9,000 duplicate entries in my corporate contact list. Once deleted, now I can go all day with battery at 90%.

Running latest version from Samsung.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app
4th September 2014, 06:55 PM   |  #114  
Flag Egg Harbor Twp.
Thanks Meter: 6

145 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiedz

To make kill_contacts permanent, you can create service so that it will automatically start on reboot

Code:
[Unit]
Description=Automatically Kill Contacts Every 2 Minutes

[Service]
ExecStart=/sbin/kill_contacts

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
push this file to /etc/systemd/system
change mod to 644
enable service
start service
Code:
c:\sdb root on
c:\sdb push kill_contacts.service /etc/systemd/system
c:\sdb shell
sh-3.2#chmod 644 /etc/systemd/system/kill_contacts.service
sh-3.2#systemctl enable /etc/systemd/system/kill_contacts.service
sh-3.2#systemctl start kill_contacts.service
check running service using :
Code:
journalctl -u kill_contacts.service

Hi wiedz, sorry to bothering you I'm very new to this but how do you create kill_contacts.service file?
thanx
7th September 2014, 07:14 PM   |  #115  
Thanks Meter: 105

541 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Edit: with new Gear Manager (Jun release), this method doesn't work anymore. The new approach is to install a "contact synchroniser killer" app on the rooted watch. More details are in this post.

Hi, Can I know the last version (Version Number if possible) of Gear Manager that worked with the modded GoProviders.APK Mate?
I'm on Galaxy Note 3, with Gear 1 (Null)

Thanks!
1st October 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #116  
New York
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Help!!!!!
Quote:

OK, the handler I updated in the 2 previous fixes didn't change from the previous version of "goproviders", so I hoped I could just use the same .class file, DEX it, stick into an APK, sign and be done with it. Unfortunately, it looks some other logic has changed, so now the same fix doesn't work anymore.
So I started investigating the other end, that is, the watch. The major difference is now we have ROOT on the Gear, so why not use it?
I quickly figured out that the offending process on the watch side was "w-contacts2-consumer". Apparently, if you just kill it, this stops Contact synchronisation only, while Contacts app on the watch remains fully functional. Unfortunately, this process is respawned every time Bluetooth connection is reestablished between the the phone and the watch.
I was looking for "cron" for Tizen, hoping to put "pkill" into a recurring task that'd run every couple of minutes. Unfortunately, I couldn't find "cron" on the watch, and the version of busybox suggested in one of the threads on this forum doesn't have it precompiled.
Then I thought: why the heck can't I just write a small app (command line) that would literally just do this:

Code:
while(1)
{
	system("pkill w-contacts2");
	sleep(120);
}
After a bit of playing around with Tizen SDK, I managed to produce this executable (attached). You can put it into /sbin, making sure permissions are 755. One last thing is to make it run as a service:
Code:
systemd-run --unit=kill_contacts.nonsamsung --description="Automatically Kill Contacts Every 2 Minutes" /sbin/kill_contacts
I don't think it'll survive a reboot though, I'll get it sorted later.

Now battery consumption is back to normal, and contacts get synchronised every time the watch connects to the phone, which is more than fine with me.

I really appreciated the GoProviders fix....now back to the same 12hr to dead Gear2 paired with Samsung Note3...any thoughts as to how I can address this...I work in a Mac/Apple environment . Not sure if that program functions on the Mac. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
2nd October 2014, 12:43 AM   |  #117  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

182 posts
More
I switched to using TizenMod 3.0 Gear 2 ROM, which has the fix already built in, and never looked back ever since...
2nd October 2014, 05:57 AM   |  #118  
New York
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Tizen sounds great....but....
Quote:

I switched to using TizenMod 3.0 Gear 2 ROM, which has the fix already built in, and never looked back ever since...

Where do you find this? Sorry for the ignorance!!!

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

Quote:

Specifically can I do this with a mac?
2nd October 2014, 06:53 AM   |  #119  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

182 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzdoctor

Where do you find this? Sorry for the ignorance!!!

Here.
Quote:

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

Quote:

Specifically can I do this with a mac?

It's on the watch side, so computer side doesn't matter...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread