Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[SOLVED] Anyone get Prime Music working under 8.4.3?

OP Dr. Drax

20th June 2014, 08:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

36 posts
Update: I figured out a solution -- see message #4 below

I'd really like to get Amazon's new Prime Music service working on my 8.9" Fire HD. However, I'm currently on 8.4.3, and I don't want to upgrade to 8.4.9 since some people have reported difficulty rooting it.

Has anyone done this? I suspect that if I could just get my hands on the new version of com.amazon.mp3 for the Fire HD, I could get it to work. However, the version at the Google Play store doesn't work with the Kindle Fire.

Before I spend hours trying to get this work, I wanted to ask if anyone has already traversed this rat hole.
Last edited by Dr. Drax; 14th July 2014 at 02:37 PM.
26th June 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drax

I'd really like to get Amazon's new Prime Music service working on my 8.9" Fire HD. However, I'm currently on 8.4.3, and I don't want to upgrade to 8.4.9 since some people have reported difficulty rooting it.

Has anyone done this? I suspect that if I could just get my hands on the new version of com.amazon.mp3 for the Fire HD, I could get it to work. However, the version at the Google Play store doesn't work with the Kindle Fire.

Before I spend hours trying to get this work, I wanted to ask if anyone has already traversed this rat hole.

I've also been wondering about this. Any luck getting it to work? Have you tried downloading the update from the Amazon website and taking the amazonmp3-unsigned.apk from there and putting it on the kindle? The update has a .bin extension but it's probably just a zip. I was able to open it in 7-zip and it looks an android update.zip file.
26th June 2014, 07:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

36 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom629

I've also been wondering about this. Any luck getting it to work? Have you tried downloading the update from the Amazon website and taking the amazonmp3-unsigned.apk from there and putting it on the kindle? The update has a .bin extension but it's probably just a zip. I was able to open it in 7-zip and it looks an android update.zip file.

I did something similar: I got my hands on a Tate, updated it, and then pulled amazonmp3-unsigned.apk off of it. I uninstalled the existing system app on my Jem, verified that I couldn't go into music, and then installed the new APK.

Result: it doesn't provide Prime benefits, but does allow me to access the my non-Prime music. I don't know if that's because of some other necessary component, or because the new APK includes a check to see whether the Kindle has been rooted. I know that some of Amazon's Kindle software has incorporated such checks in the past.
14th July 2014, 02:06 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

36 posts
I figured out a solution to get it working. I should have thought of it earlier.

I uninstalled the amazonmp3-unsigned.apk system app using ES File Explorer. I then used Google Play to install the new com.amazon.mp3 APK as a user app. Somehow I had gotten it stuck in my head that it would need to be a system app to work with the rest of the Kindle software. Duh.

It seems to work perfectly. I can access Prime music just fine, and it seamlessly connects to my Amazon account. The only downside is that the app from the Play store is designed for phones and locks the app into portrait mode, whereas the native Kindle version supports landscape. But, hey, that's a small price to pay.
1st September 2014, 09:18 PM   |  #5  
Flag Covington

9 posts
More
Amazon is clearly checking to see if the tablet is still an unmodified Kindle Fire.

I tried loading Kindle Reader on a CM-upgraded KF, with no luck. Then, I used Build-Prop Editor to change the property 'name' to Asus, and the 'model' to Nexus 7. That's all it took for Kindle Reader (and my book account) to work properly.

Try that next time something 'Amazon' doesn't work as it should.
Last edited by rogerlig@gmail.com; 1st September 2014 at 09:23 PM.
2nd October 2014, 04:37 PM   |  #6  

9 posts
When you install using google play does that automatically install as a user app? I'm assuming so, but the fix isn't working for me. I am using 8.1.4 however.
2nd October 2014, 05:06 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

36 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coming_down

When you install using google play does that automatically install as a user app? I'm assuming so, but the fix isn't working for me. I am using 8.1.4 however.

Yes, the Play store will only install user apps. You uninstalled amazonmp3-unsigned.apk first?

Is the app not working at all, or not giving you access to Prime Music? I wonder if enough changed from 8.1.x to 8.4.x that the services for Amazon account authentication don't work.
2nd October 2014, 05:15 PM   |  #8  

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drax

Yes, the Play store will only install user apps. You uninstalled amazonmp3-unsigned.apk first?

Is the app not working at all, or not giving you access to Prime Music? I wonder if enough changed from 8.1.x to 8.4.x that the services for Amazon account authentication don't work.

Yeah, the first thing I did was just update the app using google play before I even read this thread. Weird thing is it opens and acts just like it should untampered. Landscape mode, automatically logged me in and all. But as soons as I try to access the library it shuts down. So I uninstalled back to stock amazon music using google play, uninstalled that system app using ES, and then installed fresh using google play. And it does the exact same thing. Landscape mode enabled, auto sign in. Acting like an amazon app.
2nd October 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

36 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coming_down

Yeah, the first thing I did was just update the app using google play before I even read this thread. Weird thing is it opens and acts just like it should untampered. Landscape mode, automatically logged me in and all. But as soons as I try to access the library it shuts down. So I uninstalled back to stock amazon music using google play, uninstalled that system app using ES, and then installed fresh using google play. And it does the exact same thing. Landscape mode enabled, auto sign in. Acting like an amazon app.

I'd recommend that you uninstall again, and verify that the app is really uninstalled. I was able to get my tablet to a point where I had no MP3 player installed at all, and going to the Music tab from the Kindle launcher would result in an error. If you uninstall and still see this app, then there must still be a copy of the APK installed somewhere you're not seeing it.

I wish I could help with more details, but I no longer have the stock OS installed, and am now using Cyanogenmod. Prime Instant Video was the main reason I was keeping the stock OS, and now that's available for Android generally.
2nd October 2014, 05:53 PM   |  #10  

9 posts
Yeah, after I uninstalled the app using ES but before installing a fresh copy, hitting music resulted in an error. ..and I didn't back up the original file. Lol. Not that I had any music there anyway. But yeah, I hear you on CM. I would be using that too, but it's my wife's main tablet and she likes the kindle lending library. Now if they put that on android, there would be essentially no reason to ever use the FireOs again.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread