Google Maps, My Maps, YouTube, Androidify, Slides, Music Updated–Here’s What’s New

In the last few weeks, Google has been … more

SuperSU BETA: Root Android Lollipop on Stock Kernel

Up until now, if you wanted to get root on Android 5.0, you needed to flash a modified … more

Android App Review: Get Amaze with Material Design – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. Android 5.0 … more

Small But Eternal: HTC Explorer Receives Unofficial CM12

When HTC officially announced the HTC Explorer, they most likely weren’t … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

KitKat update worth the headache?

OP cantenna

9th June 2014, 06:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96

579 posts
Just hoping for some user experience on stock kitkat vs custom .

Currently using Free Xperia 302 based on CM 10 JB 4.3, I cant find a single thing wrong with this rom. It's very fast and stable, GPS, camera and netflix working great!

Should I update, is the os as smooth as JB 4.3 cm build? I would imagine it would not because it is not ASOP. But is it that different in speed?
14th June 2014, 12:01 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 25

161 posts
More
I personally don't see much of an advantage and you're probably getting great or better performance already. I guess some points come to mind:

Pros
-Small Apps will return with stock
-I like the Sony UI
-I don't know if you've installed a compatible IR blaster with your custom rom but if not you'll get that functionality back with stock.

Cons
-SD card permission problem (but I guess you'll still root)
-Apparently there is a battery drain issue with Google Play Services on 4.4 (and opting out of interest based ads in the settings is supposed to help)
The Following User Says Thank You to ishaang For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

579 posts
Thanks, I'm not upgrading. Cheers!

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk
15th June 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

579 posts
Just posted this in another thread; pretty happy ATM thought I'd share
Quote:
Originally Posted by varben

And will always be. Nightlies doesn't mean unstable. Each omni nightlies are daily drivers, rest assured about that [emoji6]

Thanks for recommending this ROM: installed it last night and wow! Installed
omni-4.4.3-20140614-pollux_windy-NIGHTLY.zip

Its flawless! Games look better and game frame rates are higher I'm coming from CM 4.3.3
All hardware works; GPS, Camera, etc. Netflix too. I uninstalled DSP manager and replaced with Viper4android. So awesome!! KitKat 4.4.3; it is so buttery smooth and stable; no crashes of FC.I recommend everyone at least try this build; its money! I'm so glad I didn't upgrade to official Sony Kitkat ROM and that I saw you post. Definitely will be sending a donation tithes guys for doing such a good job. This will be my new rail driver.
Omni awesome!

Last edited by cantenna; 15th June 2014 at 05:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cantenna For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th October 2014, 02:30 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 18

257 posts
Warning no!!!! Do never upgrade to kitkat!!!!! (BAD MISTAKE TO DO THAT!!!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://source.android.com/devices/tech/storage/

The WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE-permission must only grant write access to the primary external storage on a device. Apps must not be allowed to write to secondary external storage devices, except in their package-specific directories as allowed by synthesized permissions. Restricting writes in this way ensures the system can clean up files when applications are uninstalled.

Well, you see, this is just one of the BIG KK-Disadvantage.
So Upgrading to KitKat is a QuiteVERY BIG AND BAD DISASTER! A horribly bad mistake that many people (incl. my self) trap into!

If you install CameraMX for example, make videos and photo-recordings etc. then let's see what will happen, if you deinstall/uninstall it...!

Android 4.3.1/Lower: All Recordings will stay. Only the app itself is deleted. Even on the External Storage you'll keep them all.

But since 4.4.0, your recordings will all be erased forever.
Thank you Microsoft to introdûce MTP just for Zune Player. A good alternative to Mass-Storage. No access to File System=Inrecoverible!
And if your BootLoader is Locked, the „Factory_Data-Reset“ will WIPE, SAFE DELETE OFF ALL FILES so that the recoverage-chance would be absuloutelý dead!

But: If MTP would not be there, maybe GooGLE would have made something even worse!

Google has done every version very well. But since KitKat, theý, the Programmers and Android-Enginierrs did actually ruin it all!
Well done, Google! Good JOB!

Quote:

Top 4 Worst KitKat-Versions:

Quote:

#3 - 4.4.0
#4 - 4.4.1
#1 - 4.4.4
#2 - 4.4.3
#0 = Android 4.4.2 KitKat

Some another KitKat-Problems:
>WiFi not stamina (Only for 4.4.2)
>Battery-problems because of task „Android·OS“ - Only 4.4(.0) and 4.4.2!
>64% of all 4.4.2 users have battery-problems with Skýpe. Google recommends you to UN - INSTALL!!! ! ! - Have i got to give a comment about Googles recommendation??? ? ?-Well..., i don't think so. So what...?
>And many other problems. If you want to know more, then ask me.
If you haven't got a(n) XDA-Forum Account but you want to know...
Well, then just NOT UPGRADE, if you don't want to take any risk!

>New Accent-Colour (betonungsfarbe) of the Status-Bar.
>WiFi and Network-Status ↑↓ is not shown up anymore „to avoid battery and useless CPU-Usage. “

AnD THE WORST:
More and More phones START WITH KshITKAT!

The first KK-Statrer was the Nexus 5. Well, it's a Google-Phone, so it's got the newer „better“ version!
And ALL S5 Variants too! (S5 +S5Mini+Active+Sport+all others.... like LTE-A)
All new HTC One, luckily not the MAX.
Sony Xperia: Z2 and Z2 Tablet, Z3, Z3 Compact and the Z3-Tablet·ComPact!

Galaxy Tab S, Note Pro, Tab 4.
And many others too.....
Did you think that you see all the others by pressing the button (eine Schaltfläche) you'll see all other ones? Probably yes...!

Best JB-Phone: Samsung Galaxcy Note 3 - Only Upgrade to the newwest BaseBand-Version of Jelly Bean! The Galaxy Note 3 is the World's best JellyBean-Phone

A Question:
What is actually the newest baseband-version with Jelly Bean on the Note 3?

Higest-Resoulotion Jelly Bean Phone: Oppo Find 7 not 7a! - It's got a 1440p-QHD Screen - 4x Galaxy S3 Res! 2560x1440=1440p/1280x720=720p (Galaxy S3,
S5 Mini, Xperia Compacts, Htc 1 Minis(both) etc.
)

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaang

I personally don't see much of an advantage and you're probably getting great or better performance already. I guess some points come to mind:

Pros
-Small Apps will return with stock
-I like the Sony UI
-I don't know if you've installed a compatible IR blaster with your custom rom but if not you'll get that functionality back with stock.

Cons
-SD card permission problem (but I guess you'll still root)
-Apparently there is a battery drain issue with Google Play Services on 4.4 (and opting out of interest based ads in the settings is supposed to help)

You can say that agian and louder!
Like this:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaang

-------------------------------
Cons
-SD card permission problem (but I guess you'll still root...)
-Apparently there is a battery drain issue with GooglePlay Services on 4.4 (and opting out of interest based ads in the settings is supposed to help)

Well... Google knows about this battery problem but they don't want to tell us, what causes that bug... what did cause this bug? Well, Google does not want to tell us that, about the Android-Code and so on... but well..... 4.4.3 fixes this.!
6th October 2014, 06:33 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 18

257 posts
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
Quote:
Originally Posted by See This!!!!!

WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!"][IMG="WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!WARNING!!!!!!!! CAUTION! Vorsicht! Axchting! WARNING!!!!! WARNUNG VOR ANDROID KITKAT! NICHT UPGRADEN, es ist eine FALLE!

/

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ ↑↑↑v
[THIS POST IS ACTUALLY NO SPAM! IT'S A TRUE WARNING!!!!!]
[NEHMEN SIE DIESEN POST ZUR KENNTNISS: ICH BITTE ZUR KÄNNTNISNAHME UM VERSTÄNDNIS(SE)!!!!!!!!!]
Last edited by Hannah Stern; 6th October 2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Image Ficx (Edited at 18:33 inGerman time, again at 18:39)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread