Cube iWork 8 Windows 8 Tablet Review - Cheapeast Windows Tablet Ever

OP jupiter2012

2nd August 2014, 03:10 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 873

2,133 posts
>in landscape mode [widescreens] allow more windows or documents side-by-side...and in portrait mode they provide an excellent format for a long-but-not-too-wide text column

Side-by-side doc viewing is applicable for desktop-sized (20+") displays, not tablets. Tab displays are already sized-constrained for even single-doc view; SxS-view isn't practical.

Portrait mode for widescreen is likewise constrained. It works for docs with reflowable text, but not for PDFs with mixed graphics/text (ie non-reflowable text) or comics; display width would be lacking for full page views.

I agree that the majority prefer widescreen, mostly because video-watching is by far the prevalent use on mobile devices. I don't agree that widescreen lends itself to productivity in portrait, for the simple fact that Windows hybrids (and Windows 8.1 itself) aren't designed for portrait use. For one, portrait mode means forfeitting use of the keyboard dock for all 2n1s, include Surfaces.

>I have good enough vision I can set the DPI scaling to 100% on Surface 2 / Pro / Pro 2 and still have readable text, which lets me snap windows side-by-side the way I do on my work machine, but apparently that's weird?

Not weird, but an outlier. People normally can't discern text at such dense resolution (assuming default font size), particularly older people. Regardless, for those who prefer it, SxS view work just as well if not better on a squarer display. Split SP3's 3:2 screen in half and you have two 4:3 displays.
2nd August 2014, 10:21 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Is office included?
Does it include a preinstalled Office 2013 version (Word & Excel) like the Dell Venue 8 Pro or do I have to purchase an Office 365 subscription?
4th August 2014, 06:12 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 65

145 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amospfef

Does it include a preinstalled Office 2013 version (Word & Excel) like the Dell Venue 8 Pro or do I have to purchase an Office 365 subscription?

no, it doesn't, u need to purchase the office 365, but there is a one month free trail use.
14th August 2014, 08:56 AM   |  #14  

1 posts
More
Question
Any idea if this can boot other operating systems - i'm thinking Xubuntu?

I have an HP Omni 10 and am very disappointed by the fact that it's tied into the pre-installed Windows 8.1 with no way to boot or install any other operating system.

Thanks.

Martin.
18th September 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #15  

3 posts
does it have gps?
Does the Cube iWork8 (2/32GB) have GPS? thanks
19th September 2014, 05:14 AM   |  #16  
Flag London

4 posts
More
I dun think cube work8 is the cheapest one.

The PIPO W2 is same price but with the latest Baytrail Quad-core, 2gb RAM and 32gb memory. Got one from ebay.co.uk at 139.98. Much cheaper than other brand with same spec.

---------- Post added at 04:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by amospfef

The PIPO w2 preinstallled win8.1 and full version Office365
19th September 2014, 08:12 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 7

49 posts
For reading pdf files and 'some' books I also prefer 4:3 format, for anything else wide screen seems the better solution.
Unless when the screen is big with high dpi, then more space in all directions prevails. But those are relatively expensive.
But for computing on the same dpi I would take an wide screen over 4:3 anytime. Though I do rotate my screen from time.

For tablet 7" or 8" wide is just more convenient in the hand and to put away in a pocket. You just can't do that with an 4:3.

@SuperSuperFrank: isn't the office version a one year for free subscription?
19th September 2014, 08:49 AM   |  #18  
Flag London

4 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggster

For reading pdf files and 'some' books I also prefer 4:3 format, for anything else wide screen seems the better solution.
Unless when the screen is big with high dpi, then more space in all directions prevails. But those are relatively expensive.
But for computing on the same dpi I would take an wide screen over 4:3 anytime. Though I do rotate my screen from time.

For tablet 7" or 8" wide is just more convenient in the hand and to put away in a pocket. You just can't do that with an 4:3.

@SuperSuperFrank: isn't the office version a one year for free subscription?

Yes, sorry for the misleading. It's 1 year subscription office365
7th October 2014, 01:37 PM   |  #19  
Flag Taipei
Thanks Meter: 29

217 posts
Donate to Me
More
iWork 8 with 2GB/32GB now is on sale at jd.com with RMB699.

Sent from Tapatalk with my Tab 4 (SM-T235Y)

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beholder21

Does the Cube iWork8 (2/32GB) have GPS? thanks

No GPS

Sent from Tapatalk with my Tab 4 (SM-T235Y)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
8 inch, cube iwork 8, quad-core, win8, windows tablet
Previous Thread Next Thread