Galaxy s5 2.1A car charger not working

OP Miltzi

5th July 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 2

27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180

The problem is most generic car chargers are designed to work with Apple products. Apple uses a non-standard way of telling their devices essentially "hey, I'm a charger." This makes "standard" devices not recognize the charger properly. The device tends to think it's plugged into a computer and only draw around 500mAh.

You can convert a USB cable into a charging cable by shorting the data pins (on the device side), or you can buy charging only cables. I've been using these cables on my S2, and now my S5: http://amzn.com/B007F1DV76 . I used a Galaxy Charging app to verify charging rate and it indicated 1.2A on both the Samsung wall-wart and cable as well as my Scosche 2.1A car charger w/ charging only cable.

I also bought a charger (Rapid USB Car Charger, http://bit.ly/VrK8s2) that was able to charge up to 2.1 A, but when I connect my Nexus 5 (with OEM cable), I charge with speed of 500 mA. I expected least 1 A.

I'm not amused at all! End users shouldn't have to deal with this nonsense. This should work out of the box!

I have two alternative:

1. Buy this charging cable.
2. Change kernel to trick the phone to draw more power from the USB port.
7th July 2014, 04:22 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 36

120 posts
More
This 2A charger from PowerGen has dual ports that are actually labeled for Apple and "Standard" charging. PowerGen 2.4Amps / 12W Dual USB Car charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices http://amzn.com/B006SU0SX0

Works fine with the stock cable also. I have this one in my wife's vehicle since she has an iPhone and I have a Samsung.
8th July 2014, 08:37 AM   |  #13  

27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitnameet99

Buy this one Maxboost car charger at Amazon or e-bay. Best of the best.

Can't find any online store that will ship to Sweden.
19th July 2014, 06:05 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 0

20 posts
Funny, none of my old $$$ dual chargers would charge my S5 for S&G picked up a dollar tree special and it charges my S5! I give up!

Goofy
28th July 2014, 02:32 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 5

84 posts
http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Du.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

i use old regular usb cables, charges about 1% per minute, works great!! (not using usb3 cables)

wtf black price!! lol. mine was about $10, purchased 2 when the s5 phones came out.
Last edited by JS_racer; 28th July 2014 at 02:34 PM.
21st August 2014, 03:36 PM   |  #16  
Flag Memphis

22 posts
I heard that cables matter the most in charging. I always use cables that came with my phone and have had no issues charging my phone so far. Have used PowerGen and Avantek. Both charge my iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S4 at full speed. High quality construction and seems pretty durable.
22nd August 2014, 07:36 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 15

42 posts
This car charger works flawlessly at 1800mAh, i have been using it for a few month now.
http://www.dx.com/p/usb-3-0-to-micro...6#.U_bg1PmSzkV

I tried at least 5 different chargers and none of them charged more then 450mAh, i was really depressed about it until i found the charger linked above. Also, the fast charging USB cable *charges on 750 - 850 mAh which is just enough to not let your phone loose battery percentage while the navigation is turned on.
The Following User Says Thank You to shpranja For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th October 2014, 02:22 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Thumbs up Try a Special Samsung Galaxy S5 Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltzi

I recently got a new Galaxy s5 on contract. I've heard that the galaxy s5 supports fast charging with a 2.1A charger. I bought a 2.1A car charger online, but the charger doesn't work when I connect it via a regular micro-USB cable to my phone. My brother's Galaxy s4 mini charges fine on it.

I was reading something on another post mentioning the need to modify the cable itself?

Any suggestions? I have another USB car charger for an iPad, and this charger also doesn't seem to work, whereas my old 1A car charger does work, but charges very slowly.

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hello,
I think you should go for a special Samsung Galaxy S5 Charger[/URL] car charger .I found a large variety of car chargers but you should look if it is the right watts that your S5 needs,maybe this is the reason why your brother phone charged and yours not
Last edited by dragosmsm; 14th October 2014 at 10:15 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread