[APP][4.2+][ROOT] SecondScreen - optimize your Android for the big screen

OP farmerbb

13th October 2014, 03:56 PM   |  #151  
Thanks Meter: 2

38 posts
DROID 4 - Incompatible Device
I was excited to try this app (currently using Screen Standby). Play Store says "Your device isn't compatible with this version.". I have a Droid 4, running 4.1.2, rooted, stock ROM. I know I can modify the build.prop (JRummy app is great) to make my device think it's a different device (done this on my tablet), but, haven't had to do this on my Droid 4 for any other apps....yet.

Farmerbb...why would your app not be compatible for the Droid 4? Can I sideload with the APK? Will this cause issues? FYI, I have an AppRadio3 and wanted to see the results of changing the screen.
13th October 2014, 06:23 PM   |  #152  
OP Senior Member
Flag Somewhere, Utah
Thanks Meter: 267

377 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake550

Hey all,
I've for an S4 running on stock rooted Verizon ROM. (4.4.2). I really would like Second Screen to shutoff the backlight, but it doesn't, and it lowers the lighting and shuts off "auto". If I loaded up a custom ROM, would that solve the problem and allow it to work?

On a side note, I've been using Screen Standby and it is capable of shutting off the backlight, but the phone reboots when it attempts to turn it back on, hence why I'm looking for a replacement. Since that code is freely available, maybe the devs have looked at it already? Maybe not? Just a thought as I would love to get this working...

SecondScreen, unfortunately, has never been able to shut off the backlight all the way on Samsung devices due to kernel limitations. All of my attempts to get the feature working have failed. Screen Standby uses a different method (blanking the framebuffer) which also causes system instability including reboots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPDA

I was excited to try this app (currently using Screen Standby). Play Store says "Your device isn't compatible with this version.". I have a Droid 4, running 4.1.2, rooted, stock ROM. I know I can modify the build.prop (JRummy app is great) to make my device think it's a different device (done this on my tablet), but, haven't had to do this on my Droid 4 for any other apps....yet.

Farmerbb...why would your app not be compatible for the Droid 4? Can I sideload with the APK? Will this cause issues? FYI, I have an AppRadio3 and wanted to see the results of changing the screen.

SecondScreen requires Android 4.2 or higher as that was the first Android version that supports changing resolution and density on-the-fly.
13th October 2014, 06:34 PM   |  #153  
Thanks Meter: 2

38 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbb

SecondScreen, unfortunately, has never been able to shut off the backlight all the way on Samsung devices due to kernel limitations. All of my attempts to get the feature working have failed. Screen Standby uses a different method (blanking the framebuffer) which also causes system instability including reboots.

SecondScreen requires Android 4.2 or higher as that was the first Android version that supports changing resolution and density on-the-fly.

Android 4.2...makes sense, thanx.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chromecast, display, hdmi, mhl, slimport
Previous Thread Next Thread