Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

HTC Desire 816 Power Button Issue.

OP Rockstar600

17th September 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 217

458 posts
More
Hello everyone,
Sorry for being too late to post a reply.

It feels so bad that so many people are facing this issue after investing their hard earned money and getting a faulty device. I did get many E-Mails regarding the same. And I tried to help each and everyone of them as much as I could.

Do not panic, it is just a piece of technology, and I guess you should be able to get a replacement easily.

I'm not sure what is the replacement duration for the phones purchased from the dealer. But normally, online shopping websites provide you 30 days of replacement or money back.

So, this is for the guys who faced issues regarding the Power Button/Volume Rockers. When I faced this issue, my phone was just a few days old.

What steps did I take? And what steps should you take? If ever you got a phone from Online Shopping websites like E-Bay, Flipkart, etc., you should immediately call them and let them know that you have got a faulty device. In most of the cases they will surely replace it. They do have a 30 days replacement policy. If you face this issue after 30 days of the purchase, then all you can do is take it to the service center and tell them to replace, if they refuse, getting it repaired is the only choice you have. Head to the nearest HTC Service Center. (Which I hate)

Now, if you have purchased the device from a dealer, shop, get to the Service Center as soon as your hardware buttons start acting up. Tell them that you need a replacement, if they tell you that they will get it repaired, just say a NO to it. Because it will be time consuming and they will end up screwing the device even more. Just simply say that you need a replacement for your device.

They will inspect the device, see if there are any chances of wear and tear.

Then they shall do some online form filling thing, and give you some papers to sign. Read and sign them.

Later they will check the phone and the accessories, if they find everything is proper, they will pack the phone. And tell you to go back to the dealer, along with the letter they provide you.

Give your faulty unit to the dealer, also the letter, and get your replacement device. Or any other phone if you wish. (That's all that happened in my case)

Many of you will end up getting your phone for a repair. Which will not only consume time, but this problem will occur more often. So better say a no no to the repair.

I was lucky enough to face this issue right after 7 days of my purchase of the device. And I got a replacement. Also, in my case, the service center wasn't authorized to open the devices. They needed to send it to some other place which was far away from my city. I did tell them to replace the phone and fortunately they agreed to it. I later went to the dealer for a replacement phone, he didn't have 816 in stock. I got another phone instead.

And NO, a flipcover or anything as such will not help you from protecting your phone. Trust me on this. It has nothing to do covers and how you keep your phones. We all keep phone in pockets, and not all face issues like this. This is because of the poor designing flaw by HTC. Which is later solved by its successor the Desire 820. There are numerous complaints with the hardware buttons on the HTC Desire 816.

I was lucky because the HTC distributor was a friend of mine. And he did assist me very well.

Hope this helps somehow.
Cheers!
Last edited by Rockstar600; 17th September 2014 at 09:46 PM.
26th September 2014, 09:46 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar600

Hello everyone,
Hope you are doing well,
As you can already know by the topic name. My 7 day old HTC Desire 816 has gone for a toss. You might ask how?
Here's the whole story. ( I haven't been posting much of topics like this, bear with me if I miss out any point)

I got the phone around 7-8 days ago. I wanted a secondary Android phone that can be used as a multimedia device, and can fit my needs for Music, surfing the web, Whatsapp, Facebook and so on. I finally decided to get this phone. I was quiet happy with it. But then suddenly after 2 days, I had this issue of the power button getting stuck inside the phone's body, and that too all by itself. And I got a message saying "To restart your device, press the power button and volume up/down button." I didn't even know why that happened, but then I thought that it might have happened because I kept the phone in my jeans. The jeans itself wasn't that tight, at least not tight for a phone's power button to get stuck!

This issue was somehow solved by gently pressing the power button again. And it used to work fine after.

But today night, (13th FRIDAY!!! June 2014) when I kept my phone to charge, the same message appeared "To restart your device, press the power button and volume up/down button." I took it normally, thinking this happened because the power button might have been stuck again, and this time the phone wasn't in my jeans pocket either, so I gently pressed it again. But this time, nothing happened. And the power button was literally inside the phone. I tried pressing it a bit harder thinking it would release itself somehow, but nothing happened either.

Maybe I just have a faulty unit? Or is it something else that's making this happen? Just disappointed because this happening to a week old device is just too bad. I have no idea what will the Service Center guys will have to tell me.

I wanted to ask can I get a replacement? I don't want to use the same handset now. Also, asking the fellow Desire 816 owners, do they face the same issue?? Like the power button not responding? Or the volume button??

It is almost 2am, tomorrow I will be visiting the service center and would let them know about the issue. I will keep you guys updated if ever interested. Fingers crossed

I am also getting the same problem My phone is just 3 months old or lesser....Otherwise everything is working fine...Sometimes I am not able to press power button Its so slim button...please help me what to do....Its really embarrasing after spending this much amount your are getting this kind of error.
29th September 2014, 05:26 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore

458 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay chaudhary

I am also getting the same problem My phone is just 3 months old or lesser....Otherwise everything is working fine...Sometimes I am not able to press power button Its so slim button...please help me what to do....Its really embarrasing after spending this much amount your are getting this kind of error.

2-3 months old. I cannot comment on getting a replacement. You should try, maybe fight with the service center guys. I'm talking straight on point.
If they refuse. Get it repaired. That's all you can do.
All the best [emoji106]

Sent from my Barrett .50 Cal.
15th October 2014, 05:04 AM   |  #14  

3 posts
More
solved the issue i think.
my phone is only 3 days old and i got tired of it, so i opened it up and let me tell you, that was such a slooowww processes. but once i got the board out, i put like 1/4 of a drop of oil on it, and almost immediately it worked free, just make sure to kind of rub it into the contact switch hole. ill post some pics, there not the greatest but it works great now
15th October 2014, 06:00 AM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore

458 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolishionc4

my phone is only 3 days old and i got tired of it, so i opened it up and let me tell you, that was such a slooowww processes. but once i got the board out, i put like 1/4 of a drop of oil on it, and almost immediately it worked free, just make sure to kind of rub it into the contact switch hole. ill post some pics, there not the greatest but it works great now

I wouldn't do it personally, or recommend anyone to do this.
But if this works well for you, then awesome.
Yes, kindly post the images.

15th October 2014, 08:27 AM   |  #16  

3 posts
More
oh i diffidently agree its not for the faint of heart, i couldn't find any teardowns on the phone so i just winged it and i found that the case has 2 glue strips at the battery and in the pic you can see i tore the wrapper on the battery finding out, but there is no physical damage to the battery so im good . in the other photo you can see the surface mounted switches for the volume and power and in my case the power could be flicked back out once pushed in so thats why i though it was sticking. extreamly small dab of airtool oil and bam its good. BUT that is my case. i cant vouch that its everyones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0091[1].jpg - [Click for QR Code] (215.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0095.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (237.5 KB, 55 views)
15th October 2014, 09:42 AM   |  #17  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore

458 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolishionc4

oh i diffidently agree its not for the faint of heart, i couldn't find any teardowns on the phone so i just winged it and i found that the case has 2 glue strips at the battery and in the pic you can see i tore the wrapper on the battery finding out, but there is no physical damage to the battery so im good . in the other photo you can see the surface mounted switches for the volume and power and in my case the power could be flicked back out once pushed in so thats why i though it was sticking. extreamly small dab of airtool oil and bam its good. BUT that is my case. i cant vouch that its everyones.

Kudos to you!
At least someone tried this.
My 816 was insured. I could have tried to open it. But i didn't wanted to keep the 816 with me after facing this issue with a new handset. Hence I ended up exchanging it.
Happy that your power button is rocking perfectly after this DIY.

Cheers!! [emoji482]

15th October 2014, 09:58 AM   |  #18  

3 posts
More
thanks, yeah i really like the phone and i'm a diy kinda person. been playing with androids since they came out so i'm rather comfortable fixing them myself. just wish they didn't glue the battery to the casing >.< kinda ticked me off. but the case has no creases so all's well that ends well. now that i think about it though. i should of lubricated the volume keys while i was in there too...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
faulty device, frustraiting, hardware button, lock button
Previous Thread Next Thread