[HOWTO] / [GUIDE] SPH-L720 Domestic SIM Unlock T-Mobile:AT&T:metroPCS:Straighttalk

Search This thread

OsmanMusa

Jul 4, 2012
I discovered that if I use SlimKat 8.0 ROM with the NG2 Modem, I will get clear calls all the time. Yay no more having to deal with being unable to hear people.:laugh:

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
This stuff is plain Bizarre. I had my sprint s4 unlocked using ultra mobile using OP unlock method and then I wanted to get rid of that low quality static voice where I can't hear other person well so I did a modem clear reset ##72786# and did everything all over again. I flashed it with mdc unlocked it and still red X. But here is the weird part. H20 sim card shows full bars and connects just fine. I don't know if it is just ultra mobile but it sure works just fine with h20. It ain't blacklisted.

I also wanna add I was unlocking my friends sprint s4 when he got full bars and data before I even got to the LOL ril ro part where you use build prop so this stuff is weird man. I don't now anymore. How do people get rid of low quality voice cuz my friends had high quality voice calls and he can hear people well when I unlocked his but I can't with mine. Mine is newer than his too. Like brand new.

You never mentioned doing the Domestic unlock part on your phone.

Also, are you and your friend on different carriers? Is your SIM card old? Are you two in different areas? These and many other factors come into play when voice quality, data type, and data speed are involved.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app

stunbozo

Jan 8, 2011
coimbatore
used ##SCRTN#..... locked my sprint s4.

If you just do a factory data reset through the settings menu or through recovery, the unlock should stick.
As long as you don't use ##SCRTN# or ##RTN# and reset the "service" settings or "network' settings or whatever. .

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Those 4 APN are pulled from the SIM card I believe, because they disappeared from my menu when I took it out.

I am not sure about it pulling APN from other SIM card though, I think it might for an AT&T or T-MOBILE SIM card, might not, but I don't believe there's a chance of it pulling APN for an MVNO at all... so may likely have to manually input the APN... =\

A lot of people (in my experience) seem to like H2O service, they are MVNO of AT&T, and ppl say they get service out in areas where other networks don't reach, like outside major cities or in small towns or whatever, idk...
I just know ppl tend to share with more positive opinions/experiences with AT&T or MVNO of AT&T, than I hear with T-Mobile or whatever. ...
And again, just what I hear from customers and friends, so...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Free mobile app

HI i accidently used the code ... it restarted my phone and locked the s4 stating invalid sim. how can i unlock the same... im on bb: L720VPUFNG2

TheGoodFellas

Jul 29, 2013
Perfect until AOSP

All was working well with the unlock on my S4 until I decided to switch to AOSP. Now after going back to TouchWiz, all I see is a red "X" and [GSM: Limited] after trying the unlock again. I contacted sprint to make sure the phone isnt blacklisted and the imei is good. I am on MDC firmware and baseband and android 4.3. Any help in getting the phone working again is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I followed these steps:
Try the steps below for potential of unlocking Domestic GSM. Please note I have successfully connected with NET10 (AT&T) microsim. In addition, I was already unlocked for international use via Sprint OTA. I also ran the sim unlocker software. All credit goes to OP and those that have contributed to this thread.

1) Insert Microsim

2) Run sim unlocker program as described in beginning of this thread.

3) Enter "ServiceMode" menu by entering *#0011#
UMTS Main Menu
1 Debug Screen -> 6 Phone Control -> 1 DRX Control = GSM DRX: ON / LTE DRX: Enables RX0 and RX1
1 Debug Screen -> 6 Phone Control -> 2 Fake Security Control = ON
1 Debug Screen -> 6 Phone Control -> 3 Nas Control -> 1 Ciphering Control = OFF
1 Debug Screen -> 6 Phone Control -> 3 Nas Control -> 2 Integrity Control = ON
1 Debug Screen -> 6 Phone Control -> 3 Nas Control -> 3 Sim Class Control = UMTS
1 Debug Screen -> 6 Phone Control -> 3 Nas Control -> 5 RRC(HSPA) Contrl -> 2 Change Revision -> 5 Release 8 (HSPA+)
1 Debug Screen -> 6 Phone Control -> 3 Nas Control -> 7 NAS Avoid Security Control = 2 Security_check: OFF
1 Debug Screen -> 6 Phone Control -> 3 Nas Control -> 8 BIP Block = 2 BIP Unblocking: set 1

4) Reboot after entering options in step 3. Go back to "ServiceMode"
UMTS Main Menu
1 Debug Screen -> 6 Phone Control -> 5 Simulation -> 2 SW Watchdog <--hit this 6 times
1 Debug Screen -> 6 Phone Control -> 5 Simulation -> 3 HW Watchdog <--hit this 6 times
(Manually reboot phone)

5) Go to Phone Settings -> Mobile Networks -> GSM -> Maually Search for networks

6) APN Settings
If you are using AT&T and/or TMOBILE branded sim you can do the following:
1) Install "HiAPN Global" from playstore
2) Select "Click to AutoSet APNs" then reboot

If you are using prepaid sim cards that require specifc APN Settings then do the following:
1) Edit build.prop (Must be rooted)
2) Install NovaLauncher from playstore
Launch NovaLauncher and create APN Settings shortcut by doing the following:
a) Long press on home screen and select "Shortcuts"
b) Select "Activities"
c) Select "Settings"
d) Finally select APNs
After shortcut is created, go into APNs and add/edit APN info. At that point you can go back to TouchWiz or stay with NovaLauncher

7) Install "Tellinfo" from play store. (This app allows you to seamlessly switch back and fourth between Sprint CDMA and GSM (WCDMA) on the fly. No need to reboot
1) Run Tellinfo app and select Device Information
2) Scroll down to "Set preferred Network Type" and choose
a. WCDA Only to connect to GSM Networks
or
b. CDMA auto (PRL) to connect back to Sprint network.

---------- Post added at 05:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 AM ----------

There's a program in the Sprint Note 2 flash to Boost Mobile thread for getting your SPC. The NEW Sprint 16 digit password is in there too. If you have a hard time finding it I'll dig it up once I get off this train.

Sent from my SPH-L900. Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out!
Would this work for the issue im having ? Any guides available?
Thanks

Last edited:

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
Perform the steps in the OP again but do NOT select GSM all or LTE all. ONLY select WCDMA all.

TheGoodFellas

Jul 29, 2013
Perform the steps in the OP again but do NOT select GSM all or LTE all. ONLY select WCDMA all.

Thanks, I've tried this now and I see bars but its for sprints network. I have a atnt sim card inserted but I do not see Atnt or hear the call-service prompt when 611 is dialed.

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
You're not following the directions correctly. You can't skip over an entire section and expect it to work. Redo the instructions, EXACTLY as it's typed.

TheGoodFellas

Jul 29, 2013
You're not following the directions correctly. You can't skip over an entire section and expect it to work. Redo the instructions, EXACTLY as it's typed.

I just redid the whole process again. I haven't skipped any steps. From starting at // 5) Select CDMA, then 1.COMMON, press next page twice until you reach page three of COMMON and select 8.PREF MODE SET and select GSM_WCDMA_ONLY to # 12- WIFI that sonofa up and search for apn settings shortcut and build.prop editor in the Play Store. Go into the build.prop editor and add the following two lines://

Only see the red x.
would DFS be an option ?

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Anyone experienced the Red X symbol after performing the unlock?

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
The reason being that I didn't think you followed the directions at first is because I thought you set the network type to CDMA, hence saying it got signal and it's back on Sprint. I didn't mean CDMA, WCDMA is actually a thing; totally different. It can ONLY be set to WCDMA mode through the service menu. Not the network types in the normal settings. Again WCDMA has NOTHING to do with CDMA. It's the only way I've found to consistently get the phone to work properly on GSM AND get HSPA.

Roxisayshi

Aug 14, 2012
I am also hearing static voice in one room of my house while in other room the audio quality is perfect. I thought that it's Tmobile signal problem. So I inserted my sim to another GSM phone and it works fine everywhere. This confirms that the problem is with unlocked phone and not signal. I am on NAE baseband. Can someone please help me on how to resolve this issue?

StifflerServices

Dec 12, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
I apologize and know this isnt the thread for the question im asking however I am hoping that do to the simular end result, someone who had the Verizon S3 prior to the Sprint S4 could help me out. Will this work for the Verizon S3 (obviously need different Roms etc but any suggestions or links on how to do a domestic unlock for the Verizon S3. I have tried searching awhile back and cant seem to find the post that I saw about downgrading the baseband to unlock the SIM for the Ver. S3 just as this one does for the Sprint S4. I am tring to get full data (Not just EDGE) on a prepaid plan and currently we are using it on Straight Talk. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks everyone

TheGoodFellas

Jul 29, 2013
Unlocked NG2 confirmation?

Anyone successfully upgraded to NG2 modem & Android 4.4.2 Rom all while Keeping the Domestic unlock :confused: If yes, can you kindly post a steps guide for those of us looking to upgrade and maintain the unlock. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: shanda5303

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
The unlock is in the nv items (efs data partitions). As far as I know these are not touched when upgrading or even when flashing a custom ROM. I'm on NG2. Ive successfully internationally unlocked on all versions and I'm 99% sure the domestic unlock works the exact same way (should you ever lose it, which you shouldn't unless you do something you shouldn't be doing in the first place).

maurogg84

Feb 6, 2011
The unlock is in the nv items (efs data partitions). As far as I know these are not touched when upgrading or even when flashing a custom ROM. I'm on NG2. Ive successfully internationally unlocked on all versions and I'm 99% sure the domestic unlock works the exact same way (should you ever lose it, which you shouldn't unless you do something you shouldn't be doing in the first place).

Did you unlock while using that modem, or did you have to downgrade? Is it possible to downgrade from NG2 to the old modems to do the unlock?

Sent from my SPH-L720

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
Did you unlock while using that modem, or did you have to downgrade? Is it possible to downgrade from NG2 to the old modems to do the unlock?

Sent from my SPH-L720

Its not possible to send QMI subsys commands on anything above MDC. I had to downgrade the modem to MDC for the international unlock to work. For the most part you can downgrade modems on all recent Sprint Samsung devices. What you can NOT do is downgrade the ENTIRE firmware build.

Reactions: maurogg84

maurogg84

Feb 6, 2011
Its not possible to send QMI subsys commands on anything above MDC. I had to downgrade the modem to MDC for the international unlock to work. For the most part you can downgrade modems on all recent Sprint Samsung devices. What you can NOT do is downgrade the ENTIRE firmware build.

Thanks for your help, one last question, can I straight flash MDC or do I have to do one modem at a time?

Sent from my SPH-L720

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [HOWTO] / [GUIDE] SPH-L720 Domestic SIM Unlock T-Mobile:AT&T:metroPCS:Straighttalk

Streamlined Guide for Domestic T-Mobile GSM Unlock for SPH-L720

Credit for all of this goes to @autoprime and @nicotheandroidguy

A few notes: I used Windows 7 for the odin flashes , my phone is a SPH-L720 and it is not active on the Sprint network, also the sim card from t-mobile was inactive (brand new from t-mobile store.) and it has a bad esn. I am located in the Phoenix az market so I'm able to take advantage of the 1900mhz band that tmobile has here.

I'm unsure of how this will work with mnvos or other primary carriers and frankly I don't care at the moment, this is my primary phone. Update: confirmed hspa+ for tmobile, metroPCS, straight talk and AT&T.

I HAD MY NEW UNACTIVATED TMOBILE SIM CARD IN THIS ENTIRE TIME

1) First I reverted my rom to a stock MF9 rooted touchwiz rom, instructions and one click odin here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2486134 I’m trying not to straight copy and paste someone else’s work so take a look at that post if you need a clean start. If you are coming from non stock you will need to boot into stock recovery and wipe data/cache before you get started. (I also later used SAC’s rom after a failed attempt at an AOKP fix and it worked as well ) you can switch to any ROM later and the unlock will stick.

2)I rebooted the phone and followed the instructions listed here in post #1 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2415587

3) I went to the dialer and typed *#0011# which brought me to the "service mode" Menu.

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE GETTING THE HIDDEN MENU TO OPEN DO NOT FEAR! I had a ton of trouble at first. In some builds you need to activate an option by adding a line to your build.prop or changing the no flag in efs/hiddenmenu to ON. Google it, there is a ton of help out there.

4) Press the left menu softbutton (the menu button that lights up and vibrates when you touch it) then press the either the button “select” or “Key Input” and type the number 1 or 2 into the box, if nothing happens press menu and select the “back “ button then repeat. This app is sort of like a tin can radio, you can kind of tell that it’s working, but it doesn’t work well.

Depending on if you pressed 1 or 2 in the dialogue box it will take you into either an UMTS or CDMA menu. If you are in the umts menu, press the menu button and select back, this should then proceed to the next step.

5) Select CDMA, then 1.COMMON, press next page twice until you reach page three of COMMON and select 8.PREF MODE SET and select GSM_WCDMA_ONLY

6) Press menu and back until you are at the main menu and select [1]UMTS, then select [1]DEBUG SCREEN, then select [6]PHONE CONTROL, select [2]FAKE SECURITY CONTROL and make sure it is set to ON
    7)Press menu and back and select [3] NAS CONTROL. We are going to check a few different settings in this menu so remember how to get here cause I don’t want to repeat myself.
    [1] CIPHERING CONTROL = OFF
    [2] INTEGRITY CONTROL =ON
    [3] SIM CLASS CONTROL = UMTS
    [4] REVISION CONTROL = DO NOT TOUCH
    [5] RRC(HSPA) CONTROL = DO NOT TOUCH
    [6] DUALMODE IMPROVEMENT CONTROL= DO NOT TOUCH
    [7] NAS AVOID SECURITY CONTROL= OFF, 0
    [8] BIP BLOCK = 1

8) Press menu and back twice, you should be on the PHONE CONTROL menu. Select [7] NETWORK CONTROL, select [1] GFC and make sure that it is set to [1]GSM/(E)GPRS/WCDMA REL8 .

9) Press menu and back and select [2] BAND SELECTION and select WCDMA/GSM ALL for both WCDMA and GSM band preferences. I selected the ALL choice for LTE as well even though I know it isn’t supported for TMOBILE.

10) Under the NETWORK CONTROL menu we just came from select [4] AQUISITION ORDER and change it to [3]UMTS_GSM

11) Press menu and back until you are in the PHONE CONTROL menu and select [5] SIMULATION , press the [2] SW WATCHDOG button 6(six) times and then the [3] HW WATCHDOG 6(six) times. Nothing will happen at all to let you know if you have done this correcctly but as soon as you finish the sixth press on HW WATCHDOG reboot the phone manually:manually:manually IMMEDIATELY . I’m not sure what this does or why this works but @nicotheandroidguy seems to have divined that this is the vital part of the process.

YOUR PHONE STILL WILL NOT HAVE DATA OR VOICE WHEN YOU REBOOT FROM THE WATCHDOG TAPS DO NOT PANIC!!!!!!!!!!! (hopefullly you have your towel with you)

12) WIFI that sonofa up and search for apn settings shortcut and build.prop editor in the Play Store.

Go into the build.prop editor and add the following two lines:

ril.sales_code=LOL
    ro.csc.sales_code=LOL

REBOOT PHONE MANUALLY now.

Now Install and create a shortcut on the home screen and select to open. Press the menu soft key and select add apn.

Use:

Name: T-Mobile
    APN: epc.tmobile.com or fast.t-mobile.com (for LTE devices)
    Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS proxy:
    MMS port:
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 260
    Authentication type:
    APN type: default,supl,admin,dun,mms

13) Go into your android settings, select wireless networks, you should see the network mode set as wcdma only do not change this, we set this in the Service Mode Menu , Check that your roaming settings are set to for roaming data/ international data etc.also make sure that there are no roaming guards left on. (roaming guards will only allow you to uncheck GSM and GSM data under international roaming.)

14) reboot
    15) profit

At this point I had full access to the TMOBILE UMTS/HSPA+ network and voice/text/mms were working.

At this point you may change roms, be careful not to update past mf9 as you may be unable to downgrade to mdc. YOU MUST DOWNGRADE TO MDC MODEM FOR THIS TO WORK.
    If you use a non touchwiz rom you can still access the tellinfo menu by pressing *#*#4636#*#* and selecting WCDMA only and manually adding the apn.

GOOD LUCK! let me know what needs changed in the guide as well.

If you have questions it's useful to know your Baseband /kernel/ rom.
    Potential BREAKTHROUGH!

It seems (I am in the process of working this out right now) that the FULL service menu CAN be accessed on ANY modem (including NAE)
    I found this information while looking to domestic sim unlock the Galaxy S4 Mini Model SPH-L520.
    E:V:A has cracked the service menu for the S4 Mini which ALSO works for the SPH-L720 model!
    Follow his tutorial here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52255287#post52255287

But the steps are as follows. Dial *#0011# and then hit:

==> [MENU] + [Back]
    ==> [MENU] + [Key Input] + "Q"
    ==> [MENU] + [Key Input] + "0000"
    ==> <wait ~5-10 seconds>

I have tested and it WORKS on the S4 NAE modem!! All props to E:V:A. I'm sure he wasn't aware that his method also WORKS on S4 for Sprint, since he is using the S4 international European version. Looks like possible one won't need to downgrade the modem anymore to make this work :)

Hit thanks if this helped you out, and give E:V:A some love
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2928250

DONT FORGET TO DONATE if you can. He's spent a lot of time and research on this.

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Free mobile app
    Thank you for this thread, I will try again with these steps.

A few notes:

3) i went to the dialer and typed *##0011# which brought me to the "service mode" menu.

This should be *#0011# I believe

5) Select CDMA, then 1.COMMON, press next page until page three of COMMON and select 8.PREF MODE SET and selet GSM_WCDMA_ONLY

I had to go 9. NEXT PAGE > twice before doing 8.
    FYI, I was on a T-Mobile ROM with a Sprint kernel, wiped everything, and then flashed a T-Mobile 4.3 AOSP ROM. Worked perfect right out of the gate. Even using the T-Mobile kernel that came with it. Everything works right away. Even wifi/bluetooth and such. Just throwing it out there, because it went a LOT easier than I thought it would.