Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Google Play Store Payments Available in China

Google has taken a big step to make its services accessible globally. Since the introduction of … more

How to Set a Video as Your Boot Animation

If you wish to make your phone truly unique, you may want to consider adding a nice boot animation. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Canadian Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900W8 Rogers/Wind Dilemma

OP mustafa803

16th January 2014, 04:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
I am really new to this and needed some input.

I have been trying to buy a note 3 SM-N900W8 locked to rogers. I am using a wind sim card. So I contacted both rogers and samsung to get an answer to my question. My question was simple. If I unlock the note 3 at rogers so the warranty will not become void, will the phone work with my wind simcard? I got 2 answers.

The Rogers representative said yes and the Samsung representative said no and referred me to this page.

So I am not sure at this point which one to believe?

support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=410099&modelname=SM-N900W8&modelcode=SM-N900WZKEBMC

"SM-N900W8 AWS vs. Traditional Carrier Frequencies

AWS vs. Traditional Carrier Frequencies

If a customer buys a phone from Group A to use on the Group B network, even if unlocked, it won’t work as these are two different types of phones using different frequencies.

If your caller is having issues with a traditional cell phone on an AWS network, you will now be able to educate your caller as to why it's not working. There’s no fix or work-around. They’re just incompatible. Each phone is designed to work on a specific type of network.

Group A - Traditional Carriers - In Canada, the conventional carrier frequency bands for Rogers, Bell, TELUS, Virgin, President’s Choice or PC, Fido, Kudoo, Chtr and Public Mobile are 850MHz/900MHz, 1900MHz and 2100MHz.

Group B - AWS Carriers - The latest carrier entrants, Wind Mobile, Mobilicity and Videotron use AWS frequencies 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz."
16th January 2014, 05:11 PM   |  #2  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag buried under loads of work IRL
Thanks Meter: 1,580

11,521 posts
Donate to Me
More
yes, Notes 3 work across all cell phone providers, it's a true multi-band phone for North America

I'm using it on Wind, you just need to SIM unlock it, and it doesn't void your warranty by SIM unlocking
16th January 2014, 07:43 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer

yes, Notes 3 work across all cell phone providers, it's a true multi-band phone for North America

I'm using it on Wind, you just need to SIM unlock it, and it doesn't void your warranty by SIM unlocking

Did you buy the phone directly from wind or was it locked to another carrier and then you unlocked it?
16th January 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #4  
Retired Forum Moderator

11,521 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafa803

Did you buy the phone directly from wind or was it locked to another carrier and then you unlocked it?

it doesn't matter, they are the same model across Canada, it just to which provider it's locked to

you can unlock it online, plenty of sites that does that for you, or any mall kiosk that does unlocking
16th January 2014, 08:29 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:

it doesn't matter, they are the same model across Canada, it just to which provider it's locked to

you can unlock it online, plenty of sites that does that for you, or any mall kiosk that does unlocking

The one I am getting is brand new and customer service at samsung told me that since it is locked to rogers then you have to unlock it at rogers so not to void the warranty. Unlocking at rogers is $50 + tax. Is there any other way of unlocking without voiding the warranty?
17th January 2014, 03:34 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

81 posts
Donate to Me
More
Considering it is now mandatory that all carriers within Canada need to provide the option to unlock the phones after 90 days of service I don't see why it would void the manufacturer warranty.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

And as per warranty. Let's just say you picked up the insurance program from best buy or futureshop. Their check list for exchanging for a phone doesn't include a check for phone unlock. So unlocking it or not makes no difference.

I do suggest to get an unlock code from the carrier to ensure that your phone is actually unlocked. And for any instances that rogers said your warranty is voided, you can show them that they are the ones that unlocked the phone and they need to cover the phone.

At the end of the day, Samsung has the say whether or not the phone is voided on their warranty. Not Rogers.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to asian_boi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2014, 03:42 PM   |  #7  
Retired Forum Moderator

11,521 posts
Donate to Me
More
exactly, SIM unlocking does not violate any warranty.

Don't confuse it with Rooting, rooting which is the Administrator Hack, that voids the warranty.

SIM card unlocking is not the same as phone hack Rooting.
29th April 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 6

68 posts
Quote:

exactly, SIM unlocking does not violate any warranty.

Don't confuse it with Rooting, rooting which is the Administrator Hack, that voids the warranty.

SIM card unlocking is not the same as phone hack Rooting.

Can I buy a Rogers Note 3 and unlock/lock it to Wind and use it on the AWS frequencies?
17th October 2014, 06:40 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

28 posts
More
I just did. I have a note 3 I got through Rogers, I unlocked my phone (from some unlocker site, didn't care about warranty) and went and signed up with wind. Everything works fine.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread