Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Water damage, stuck in bootloop.

OP tsar_chasm

26th January 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
More
Hello,

So the phone fell from a small height into a toilet today but didn't turn off. Instead it rebooted and now it is stuck in a bootloop, reaching the end of the boot animation and beginning again.

I can't reach the recovery or bootloader. Holding down the bottom button and the power button stalls the bootloop but only produces a black screen for a few seconds before it loops again. Holding the power button just restarts the loop.

I tried plugging it into a pc and checking if it was listed under "adb devices" while it was looping but got no joy.

The thing is sitting in rice while I hunt for some silica gel packets. So on the plus side I have invented flashing rice.

Have I missed anything or do I just have to hope something changes as it dries out?

Thanks.
Last edited by tsar_chasm; 26th January 2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Clarification.
26th January 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 14

70 posts
More
You should have been drying it out first before trying anything ...

But hopefully it'll dry out and it'll be fine. Tell us how things will turn out.
26th January 2014, 08:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krucymucy

You should have been drying it out first before trying anything ...

But hopefully it'll dry out and it'll be fine. Tell us how things will turn out.

I was a bit perplexed really, the phone wouldn't turn off so I was looking to make it power off so I could leave it to dry in peace. I felt like it was doing all the damage it would do since it was already on :/

Still in boot loop.
27th January 2014, 09:41 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 50

83 posts
More
[QUOTE=tsar_chasm;49783

I can't reach the recovery or bootloader. Holding down the bottom button and the power button stalls the bootloop but only produces a black screen for a few seconds before it loops again. Holding the power button just restarts the loop.

I tried plugging it into a pc and checking if it was listed under "adb devices" while it was looping but got no joy.

The thing is sitting in rice while I hunt for some silica gel packets. So on the plus side I have invented flashing rice.

Have I missed anything or do I just have to hope something changes as it dries out?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

When you see the black screen pres the 2 buttons quickly for some seconds and let them go

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
28th January 2014, 12:48 AM   |  #5  
Flag Gardanne - Provence
Thanks Meter: 31

156 posts
More
I think if it s still in boot loop that s not so bad... It s still alive.
I would be you, I would put it without case in a box full of rice during at least 24h. It would help to dry it. It would have been better just after the incident but maybe it s not too late. Good luck...

sent from my Moto G - KK retail ROM
17th October 2014, 05:03 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Drying methods
The good news is that water repellant treatment is applied to most Motorola phones. Even so, small droplets of water sitting on surfaces can cause problems both immediately and longer term (through oxidation). Thorough drying out only possible through evaporation (immersion in rice WILL NOT work with these sealed units, as it's a contact desiccant, which works by capillary absorption of water molecules that it physically touches).

So: power off immediately after retrieving from water; remove back to expose as much of the interior as possible; remove SIM card. Then keep the phone in a warm place overnight (eg airing cupboard). Leave for 24 hrs; then attempt re-activation.

Dropped my Moto G gen 1 phone into water yesterday, took it out within a couple of seconds. It seemed ok, then went into repeated boot loops. Opened it up, no visible water inside (prob because of water repellant treatment).

Followed steps above , and after 24 hrs the boot loops ended and it is now working fine.

Good luck !
17th October 2014, 05:16 PM   |  #7  
Flag Bengaluru
Thanks Meter: 145

453 posts
More
A similar thing happened to a moto e, it wasn't dropped or anything but it was stuck in an infinite reboot loop.

I took it to the moto service center and they fixed it by doing a "power charge", at least thats what he called it.
No idea what it means. He connected it to a laptop and voila!, it booted.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread