[ROM(ABANDONED)] [4.4.4] [UNOFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 11 for ChaCha [07.22.2014]

OP kronflux

5th September 2014, 10:04 AM   |  #151  
Thanks Meter: 5

19 posts
facebook and messenger does not work
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryPi

Hey, does facebook and messenger work on your setup? I just see a splash screen on mine and then it goes back to home screen

For me too, I do not know why...
Does it work when normally installed from play store (and not from apk)?
5th September 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #152  
Thanks Meter: 67

206 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by la7low

For me too, I do not know why...
Does it work when normally installed from play store (and not from apk)?

It was working if i installed it from play store but it was just to slow to be usable
8th September 2014, 01:55 AM   |  #153  
Thanks Meter: 39

95 posts
for me messenger works fine, facebook is too big for the device
8th September 2014, 05:28 AM   |  #154  
Flag Tucuman, Argentina
Thanks Meter: 9

211 posts
More
I'd like to know how can I do to partition my sdcard so I have more internal storage for apps? The ROM is great, very good job!
5th October 2014, 12:37 PM   |  #155  
Thanks Meter: 32

174 posts
Thank you for your work - I installed this ROM today.

Unfortunately when I start typing in the home screen nothing happens. The original Chacha ROM suggested my contacts, and when I started typing in the apps list it suggested apps. Even when I pressed the phone key I had to put the focus on the correct text field so that typing didn't just bring me back to the home screen. Plus I have to select the type-field first before I'm able to type any number. Also when having to type some number during a call I have to change to the number screen again and can't use the physical keyboard again (becaus every keypress will be taken twice).

Is there any possiblity to fix this with some other launcher, etc.? It's great that you can still get the latest Android for the Chacha, but I wonder who finds this useful, since it is such a pain to use the Chacha with a ROM that does not support a keyboard phone. Maybe some Keyboard-Phone-Addon-Pack would be really useful here.
Last edited by Flexmaen; 5th October 2014 at 01:42 PM.
7th October 2014, 07:58 AM   |  #156  
OP Senior Member
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 193

313 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexmaen

Thank you for your work - I installed this ROM today.

Unfortunately when I start typing in the home screen nothing happens. The original Chacha ROM suggested my contacts, and when I started typing in the apps list it suggested apps. Even when I pressed the phone key I had to put the focus on the correct text field so that typing didn't just bring me back to the home screen. Plus I have to select the type-field first before I'm able to type any number. Also when having to type some number during a call I have to change to the number screen again and can't use the physical keyboard again (becaus every keypress will be taken twice).

Is there any possiblity to fix this with some other launcher, etc.? It's great that you can still get the latest Android for the Chacha, but I wonder who finds this useful, since it is such a pain to use the Chacha with a ROM that does not support a keyboard phone. Maybe some Keyboard-Phone-Addon-Pack would be really useful here.

Honestly, the ChaCha has come further than most other devices - especially those with keyboards.
You're really lucky it got as far as it did, and unfortunately it's such a dated device that I highly doubt it will ever see a rom as functional as stock. It's been several years of custom roms, and not one has replicated the behavior of the stock rom.
If you really want that functionality - by all means, please figure out how, and I'll happily start development again. As of late, I've basically given up on development as the later versions of Android require additional storage which the ChaCha simply does not have to offer. This rom alone is barely usable as a daily, as it takes up so much space.

The unfortunate truth is that keyboard phones are becoming more and more rare, and the development for them is getting even more rare. The only device that I imagine will see further development, which has a keyboard, is the Motorola Droid 4(Maserati) which has official CM11 support. Future devices will likely always be touch screen. I don't think anyone will make keyboard phones again.

I myself have long since upgraded to the Nexus 5, and am very happy even with the touch screen, even though I used to hate them. Swiftkey really makes a major difference. I highly recommend it.
The Following User Says Thank You to kronflux For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th October 2014, 02:32 PM   |  #157  

174 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronflux

If you really want that functionality - by all means, please figure out how, and I'll happily start development again..

Maybe the easiest way might be if you customize an open source dialer, e.g. like Dialer 2. I tried several dialers as replacement for the CM-Dialer, unfortunately the don't have the correct keyboard layout on the Chacha. But maybe it's possible to fix one and improve dialing performance - what do you think?

Quote:

As of late, I've basically given up on development as the later versions of Android require additional storage which the ChaCha simply does not have to offer. This rom alone is barely usable as a daily, as it takes up so much space.

I noticed that this ROM only will work without the Google apps. However, the 4.2.2 did fine, I managed to get the Google apps and have about 123 MB free, even after installing some apps!! I used Link2SD.

Quote:

. I don't think anyone will make keyboard phones again.

The reason is not that the people don't want them - the problem is that there are not any keyboard flagship devices. Except for the Blackberry Passport which seems to sell fine so far.
See: http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/15/5...but-to-bury-it

Quote:

I myself have long since upgraded to the Nexus 5, and am very happy even with the touch screen, even though I used to hate them. Swiftkey really makes a major difference. I highly recommend it.

That's what many say. But I noticed that I'm typing without having to watch on the keys. Thats not possible with Swiftkey. Also Swiftkey won't be a big help if you enter many things that are not in the dictionary. Everytime someone was telling me that he can be faster with a touch device I challenged him, and clearly was faster with the Chacha!
12th October 2014, 10:54 PM   |  #158  
OP Senior Member
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 193

313 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexmaen

Thats not possible with Swiftkey. Also Swiftkey won't be a big help if you enter many things that are not in the dictionary.

Actually, I don't look at my swiftkey keyboard. Also, it learns from common trends in your typing(as well as allowing you to sync with emails, twitter, and all sorts of other stuff so it can learn your style of typing as well as common words you use) even when it comes to words that either aren't in the dictionary, or even ones that don't exist. At work, we use a lot of acronym names for our tools, and swiftkey has no problem suggesting and autocompleting(if I so desire) those acronyms.
I can honestly say that my typing on my touch device is faster than on my chacha. My error rate is slightly higher, but swiftkey makes up for almost 90% of that.

Anyway, if someone else wants to pick up development of this rom, I really dont' mind, just make sure you give credit to me as well as the others listed in the main post(team simplicit, androidarmv6, etc)
I may even pitch in and help from time to time if you make a thread and post your sources on github.
As of now, however, I will no longer be updating this rom, at least not until CyanogenMod picks up Android L. If the phone has enough storage, I may port that over at some point.
12th October 2014, 11:43 PM   |  #159  

174 posts
Quote:

Actually, I don't look at my swiftkey keyboard. ... My error rate is slightly higher, but swiftkey makes up for almost 90% of that.

Well it might work for some people - I guess for most people there is no difference because they are slow on both! But a physical response will always have some advantage, even if it is that my fingers don't feel numb lika after caressing a glass all the time...

However, another benefit of a keyboard is that you can use shortcuts - something that never was integrated perfectly in Android - not even with the Chacha standard ROM (were it was slightly better tough because you could use your keyboard in the Apps view). So it's no wonder that keyboard phones are no big deal with in Andoid.

For the ROM: I used the 4.2.2 ROM for now, and I guess I won't be able to improve the keyboard performance of Cyanogenmod. But maybe I'll be able to adapt that dialer software so that at least this part will be improved - the Cyanogenmod-Dialer is not very good and even worse on a keyboard-phone.

But thanks for you work - it's really great that the Chacha has come that far!
18th October 2014, 10:56 AM   |  #160  
Flag Wakefield
Thanks Meter: 4

47 posts
Said days
Quote:

Honestly, the ChaCha has come further than most other devices - especially those with keyboards.
You're really lucky it got as far as it did, and unfortunately it's such a dated device that I highly doubt it will ever see a rom as functional as stock. It's been several years of custom roms, and not one has replicated the behavior of the stock rom.
If you really want that functionality - by all means, please figure out how, and I'll happily start development again. As of late, I've basically given up on development as the later versions of Android require additional storage which the ChaCha simply does not have to offer. This rom alone is barely usable as a daily, as it takes up so much space.

The unfortunate truth is that keyboard phones are becoming more and more rare, and the development for them is getting even more rare. The only device that I imagine will see further development, which has a keyboard, is the Motorola Droid 4(Maserati) which has official CM11 support. Future devices will likely always be touch screen. I don't think anyone will make keyboard phones again.

Unfortunately I cannot agree more. I have moved from ChaCha to Xperia Pro and then to Galaxy S Relay (quite hard to get in EU), but now I'm seeing myself forced to move to touch screen since no decent Qwerty Android available any more... I'm trying now your rom on my old ChaCha just for fun and I have to admit this small device really made it FAR away...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread