Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more
Post Reply

S5 screen TOO sensitive?!?!

OP ewokuk

25th April 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #11  
simacca's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kent, uk
Thanks Meter: 150
 
1,000 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewokuk

It' on pattern lock. That doesnt stop notifications coming up for anyone that has it set up like that, and it doesnt stop it pressing the emergency calls button!

Air View is off, Increase Touch Sensitivity is off (as already mentioned). Infact I tried the Increase Touch Sensitivity option to see what effect it has and I can't see any difference to it with it turned on, it is just as sensitive, I can literally put my finger inside my shirt and move the screen around and I can do this just as well with the touch sensitivity on or off. Perhaps there is a bug which is causing the increased touch sensitivity to be on ALL the time even when the box is not ticked. Seems to be a problem many are having anyway.

Not had any problems whilst in my pocket, but I tried using the screen through my T-SHIRT and it does the same thing for me with touch sensitivity off or on. Just tried with gloves though and it doesn't work unless you switch touch sensitivity on, so it does make some kind of difference to the screen.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
27th April 2014, 12:52 AM   |  #12  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
44 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
In that case ewokuk, 2 solutions, since your phone is brand new, maybe you should take it back to your store and get another unit.
Or wait for maybe a fix with next firmware update.. which may happen anytime. For helping you, you could get a protection / front cover for your phone
19th May 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #13  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
I registered just to post here. This has been driving me absolutely nuts. Every time I have a call when in the car and the phone is in my pocket (talking through bluetooth), if my leg so much as twitches I end up muting myself or hanging up. I went from an S3 to the S5. If I get a text while walking and I have music playing or something, any and every button available will be pressed. I have had random gibberish created on my calendar while walking (screen lock hadn't activated yet because I had just put it in my pocket).

ewokuk, any word on what you did? I have played around with as many settings as I can but nothing seems to do the trick. It's a nice phone, but unfortunately this one thing drives me up a wall
The Following User Says Thank You to CountBlackadder For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th May 2014, 12:29 AM   |  #14  
Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 156
 
219 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
More
The screens can still be used through simple fabrics .. it can be done so since the S2. If the screen is in the pocket facing down (against your thigh) it still can be triggered. I can only suggest to put the screen facing outwards or well not against your skin or body

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app
20th May 2014, 08:24 PM   |  #15  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathst

The screens can still be used through simple fabrics .. it can be done so since the S2. If the screen is in the pocket facing down (against your thigh) it still can be triggered. I can only suggest to put the screen facing outwards or well not against your skin or body

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

The difference in sensitivity between the S3 and S5 is pretty astounding though. Yes, I could use the S3 through a shirt if needed, but I never had it hang up phone calls constantly and go through all my apps randomly.

I think the proximity sensor is just not the greatest as it doesn't detect that it's in a pocket. Again, no real idea, but that is my guess.
21st June 2014, 06:00 PM   |  #16  
Rippley05's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 519
 
4,056 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Same problems here. Phone pocket dials people, replies to texts. Pattern lock helped..but I prefer not using it. Maybe it's because the phone wakes with text messages received. Annoying as heck

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
25th June 2014, 12:36 AM   |  #17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippley05

Same problems here. Phone pocket dials people, replies to texts. Pattern lock helped..but I prefer not using it. Maybe it's because the phone wakes with text messages received. Annoying as heck

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I'm glad I'm not the only one because I really did think it was just me. All of the issues listed in this thread happen to me all the time. Tracks skip, the phone hangs up.. I even find my typing is less accurate unless I really slow myself down (it seems prone to picking up extra key presses although this might just be mel. I did not have these issues with my s3.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Forum wouldn't let me edit my previous message so here goes:

No its just me. See here http://phandroid.com/2014/04/19/8-th...ng-galaxy-s5/:
6th October 2014, 11:23 PM   |  #18  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2014
Thumbs up Hey all, i am facing the same problem with the sensitivity of my screen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewokuk

Right I have now had this issue several times and it has become a big problem. I put the phone in my pocket, get a call/message/text/ which turns the screen on, and somehow the touch screen buttons keep getting pressed. So far I have lost all my paid for credits in a game when I paused it and put it in my pocket to get off a train, had it start skipping tracks when listening to music when a message arrived and it started pressing the lockscreen music buttons while in my pocket....twice.

I never EVER had anything like this with the S3 that it replaced. Somehow the screen is obviously being pressed by my leg THROUGH my trousers and activating the buttons on the touchscreen whenever the screen is on. Obviously this may have serious consequences if it starts calling contacts or even emergency numbers while in my pocket.

I am looking for a way to reduce the sensitivity so it doesnt do this but so far all I can find in the settings is a single tickbox to INCREASE the sensitivity so you can use it with gloves on (which suggests to me it must also be possible to reduce it).

i am ahvind the same issue with the sensitivity of the screen!!!something wrong is happening for sure cause i tested another Samsung S5 and it didnt have any problem!Its has warranty so i dont care!do the same!

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewokuk

Right I have now had this issue several times and it has become a big problem. I put the phone in my pocket, get a call/message/text/ which turns the screen on, and somehow the touch screen buttons keep getting pressed. So far I have lost all my paid for credits in a game when I paused it and put it in my pocket to get off a train, had it start skipping tracks when listening to music when a message arrived and it started pressing the lockscreen music buttons while in my pocket....twice.

I never EVER had anything like this with the S3 that it replaced. Somehow the screen is obviously being pressed by my leg THROUGH my trousers and activating the buttons on the touchscreen whenever the screen is on. Obviously this may have serious consequences if it starts calling contacts or even emergency numbers while in my pocket.

I am looking for a way to reduce the sensitivity so it doesnt do this but so far all I can find in the settings is a single tickbox to INCREASE the sensitivity so you can use it with gloves on (which suggests to me it must also be possible to reduce it).

i am having the same issue about the sensitivity of the screen!!!something wrong is happening for sure cause i tested another Samsung S5 and it didnt have any problem!Its has warranty so i dont care!do the same!
17th October 2014, 02:25 PM   |  #19  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2014
s series sensitivity
I have had that problem with the s3 s4 and now s5 i just put my phone in my pocket with the screen facing out that way my leg cant activate it and my pants doesnt press the unlock button when i move.
19th October 2014, 03:25 PM   |  #20  
finndo's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
50 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
Ditto, never so bad as this phone, I put it in my pocket now screen out, and put my wallet over the screen so I don't accidentally crack it.

Often in games when I am "hovering" over the screen it will trigger the action anyway. I've tested this to nearly 1 full cm away from the screen. If I hover on the same spot for 2+ seconds at ~1cm it initiates a touch at that point.

I also did not notice a difference switching increased sensitivity on or off.

Rarely, but sometimes during calls the screen turns on briefly when I pull the phone away as it starts making my face sweat, it will the "hover" hang up or mute, or launch some app (often one that has force screen on permissions) and send people gibberish email or text messages, set alarms or calendar events. I even had it start a conference call, adding an old boss to my conversation (I keep the number handy for references) once.

I have used the finger print lock since the first time I turned the phone on. Most annoying is the sensorly app, only works with the screen on even when running in the background...

I have also had to modify my typing to accommodate this sensitivity, I have to tap slightly above and right of the keys to make sure I hit the right ones.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank