Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Undervolting drastically improves 4K video recording?

OP Pesetio

17th October 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #41  
Thanks Meter: 373

1,485 posts
More
Using Ultimate Pure XZ2 v1.1 based on 413 ROM I get about 1 minute 4k recording and no throttling ^^

*Screenshots of camera are 1.8mb png files and not 180kbyt like normal ones -.- can't upload them direct will edit later*
Edit:

Start:

30Sec:

1 Minute:
Last edited by Haldi4803; 17th October 2014 at 04:41 PM.
19th October 2014, 02:58 PM   |  #42  
Recognized Contributor
Imagination
Thanks Meter: 1,442

3,288 posts
Donate to Me
More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=22

Camera quality is not effected at all by your bootloader status
Tested and proven, the same goes for 4k, quality is the same weather LB or UB

4K recording time is only increased by a few seconds when you undervolt, atleast from my experiance, this may varie per device due to AVS
Last edited by Envious_Data; 19th October 2014 at 03:00 PM.
20th October 2014, 05:20 PM   |  #43  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Post Helppp
Hi,
I own an Xperia Z2 and I am a college student. I would like to record my lectures but whilst recording 4K video the ‘camera’ overheats after 4-7 min of use. I have tried recording in full HD, but after 30-40 min the ‘camera’ would once again overheat (I put my phone on flight mode and power saver to get the recordings this long). My lectures are between 1hr-2hr long so I am looking for a way to prolong the overheating pop up for at least 2 hrs.

As far as I have understood in your posts undervolting should reduce the heating as the less power is used. However, I haven’t rooted my Xperia yet and haven’t installed any kernels either. I have noticed that you link the heating pop-up problem occurring with the overheating of the processor. I have done tests (around 4 times whilst recording 4k) and it seems that once the CPU temp reaches around 72 Celsius the camera shuts down.

1. Wouldn’t it be better than if I installed a ROM which contains nothing (bare minimum apps) and ran the camera application on it? (CPU wouldn’t have to use resources for background applications so less heat is produced)

2. If you installed a custom mod for the camera app such as http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...-mbps-t2845265 could this potentially if the bitrate was put down, increase the time able to record? (The CPU would be less stressed out as less information to process)

3. Also which kernel for undervolting do you recommend? (Sorry if you mentioned it before but I don’t quite understand the kernels)

4. Which kind of boot loader did you use for undervolting? (Once again I apologize if this has been mentioned somewhere before but I am not good with technical terms)

These are my phone specs:
3 GB RAM
16 Internal memory
128 GB micro SD card
Processor info: Qualcomm MSM8974PRO-AB
Android version: 4.4.2
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-perf-g35f9635
Build number: 17.1.A.0.314
20th October 2014, 05:41 PM   |  #44  
Recognized Contributor
Imagination
Thanks Meter: 1,442

3,288 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xperia-xtreme

Hi,
I own an Xperia Z2 and I am a college student. I would like to record my lectures but whilst recording 4K video the ‘camera’ overheats after 4-7 min of use. I have tried recording in full HD, but after 30-40 min the ‘camera’ would once again overheat (I put my phone on flight mode and power saver to get the recordings this long). My lectures are between 1hr-2hr long so I am looking for a way to prolong the overheating pop up for at least 2 hrs.

As far as I have understood in your posts undervolting should reduce the heating as the less power is used. However, I haven’t rooted my Xperia yet and haven’t installed any kernels either. I have noticed that you link the heating pop-up problem occurring with the overheating of the processor. I have done tests (around 4 times whilst recording 4k) and it seems that once the CPU temp reaches around 72 Celsius the camera shuts down.

1.Wouldn’t it be better than if I installed a ROM which contains nothing (bare minimum apps) and ran the camera application on it? (CPU wouldn’t have to use resources for background applications so less heat is produced)

2.If you installed a custom mod for the camera app such as http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...-mbps-t2845265 could this potentially if the bitrate was put down, increase the time able to record? (The CPU would be less stressed out as less information to process)

3.Also which kernel for undervolting do you recommend? (Sorry if you mentioned it before but I don’t quite understand the kernels)

4.Which kind of boot loader did you use for undervolting? (Once again I apologize if this has been mentioned somewhere before but I am not good with technical terms)

These are my phone specs:
3 GB RAM
16 Internal memory
128 GB micro SD card
Processor info: Qualcomm MSM8974PRO-AB
Android version: 4.4.2
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-perf-g35f9635
Build number: 17.1.A.0.314

Sony is suposedly working on fixing the camera issues, we will have to see if thats true in 4.4.4 update

You can try undervolting

Your best bet is a non-stock based rom but that requires a unlocked bootloader
I dont recomend this unless you know more
20th October 2014, 10:07 PM   |  #45  
Thanks Meter: 631

3,558 posts
Quote:

I have tried recording in full HD, but after 30-40 min the ‘camera’ would once again overheat (I put my phone on flight mode and power saver to get the recordings this long). My lectures are between 1hr-2hr long so I am looking for a way to prolong the overheating pop up for at least 2 hrs.

Make sure screen brightness is turned down to the minimum. (Turn Auto brightness control off.) The screen backlight puts out a fair bit of heat.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
20th October 2014, 10:13 PM   |  #46  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxploration

Make sure screen brightness is turned down to the minimum. (Turn Auto brightness control off.) The screen backlight puts out a fair bit of heat.

Yeah I already did that, sorry I wasn't precise on that. I also switched auto rotate off and switched GPS off as well as closed any other background applications.
20th October 2014, 10:15 PM   |  #47  
Thanks Meter: 631

3,558 posts
Quote:

Yeah I already did that, sorry I wasn't precise on that. I also switched auto rotate off and switched GPS off as well as closed any other background applications.

That's fine, just figured I should suggest in case you hadn't thought of it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4k undervolt
Previous Thread Next Thread