Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Is there a ROOT/HOTSPOT mod for s5?

OP TreyHarper

9th October 2014, 03:57 PM   |  #41  
Thanks Meter: 0

26 posts
Thanks, but I already have the native app unlocked thanks to a custom rom. I must have been flagged due to torrents. I will try to use foxfi and its proxy along with a user agent switcher. Sprint does offer unlimited data, just not through tethering. Unless you pay an extra $20 a month, and I believe it has a cap. I may have to go that route if this happens again. I will try to keep usage under 15gig.
Last edited by photonsnake; 9th October 2014 at 04:05 PM.
10th October 2014, 01:50 PM   |  #42  
Flag St Louis
Thanks Meter: 234

368 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by photonsnake

Thanks, but I already have the native app unlocked thanks to a custom rom. I must have been flagged due to torrents. I will try to use foxfi and its proxy along with a user agent switcher. Sprint does offer unlimited data, just not through tethering. Unless you pay an extra $20 a month, and I believe it has a cap. I may have to go that route if this happens again. I will try to keep usage under 15gig.

Sorry I mis-read, thought you were using WiFi tether router. What exactly did the text from Sprint say out of curiosity?

Also, what version of the hotspot mod is in use? If it is just changing the APN this could be why you got the notice, I long suspected the first hack would be noticeable by the carrier but the modified services.jar would be a lot harder to notice without snooping on all your traffic.
Last edited by miked63017; 10th October 2014 at 01:59 PM.
15th October 2014, 03:34 AM   |  #43  

26 posts
Hotspot Tether
The text said the following: SprintFreeMsg: Recently we noticed usage on your account that is not allowed by our terms and conditions. Please call 855-235-8851 for more details. Also got a letter saying the same thing. Anyway to modify the APN?
15th October 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #44  
Flag St Louis
Thanks Meter: 234

368 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by photonsnake

The text said the following: SprintFreeMsg: Recently we noticed usage on your account that is not allowed by our terms and conditions. Please call 855-235-8851 for more details. Also got a letter saying the same thing. Anyway to modify the APN?

If you used the first version of the hotspot mod it would have made changes to your APN, but it had to be reflashed every time a PRL update happenings. I suspect that they could have caught on to the way the first version worked, which version did you use?

I suspect that the first version may have made tethering traffic look different from their side because of the way it worked and the default iptables rules on your device. If you did not use the first version of the mod then it may be just because of the torrents you mentioned. When I was on Verizon torrents would start to download and then just stop, so I do think carriers can notice torrent traffic. That message wasn't very descriptive, so it very well could be sprints version of an MPAA warning, meaning you pulled something that was a trap. But also it could just be because it was torrent traffic in general.

You don't seem too concerned about having to switch carriers if necessary, maybe use the latest hotspot mod for your phone and skip the torrents for a while to see what happens.
Last edited by miked63017; 15th October 2014 at 02:03 PM.
22nd October 2014, 12:26 AM   |  #45  

26 posts
I noticed that on my data usage on my phone, that tethering pops up, and shows tether data and my account shows data but only shows phone data not total. This even after proxy, is there anyway or a rom that can hide it? Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread